Why you should not want Reinsdorf to sell the SOX

59th street

3 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Unfortunately, the same person who is making the spending decisions is also the person willing to keep Rick Hahn and Kenny Williams on in their roles. You're arguing for JR not selling - that argument also means you're ok with many more years of Rick Hahn.

So here's a choice for you then - you get a new ownership group who has more spending constraints, but you get rid of this inept front office staff and clean house top to bottom. You ok with that?

Stockholm Syndrome...brainwashed by Hahn/Tony Robbins-Speak.  That’s the only remotely plausible explanation.

Edited by caulfield12
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

I am NOT advocating for the decisions of this ownership group.  However the franchise loses a lot of financial leverage if the new owner is shackled with debt (think Bill Veeck). 

I am simply pointing out that a new ownership group would likely have a serious debt load problem to deal with. 

I want to get rid of the current stale front office staff, without the burden of losing the huge equity advantage this group currently has (but refuses to take advantage of).  Jerry needs to retire and allow a modern front office to run baseball operations. 

1. It’s an old saying for a reason...you spend $ to make $. It wouldn’t make sense for anyone to make a huge investment into the Sox and continue on the same path of losing and embarrassing attendance #’s.

2. We already know the current ownership won’t make big signings. We don’t know what the next ownership group would do. Sounds like a pretty common sense reason to want change if you ask me

3. And finally... If you think the Sox are going to develop enough talent internally to be serious WS contenders then I have ocean front property in Oklahoma you’d be very interested in....

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Stockholm Syndrome...brainwashed by Hahn/Tony Robbins-Speak.  That’s the only remotely plausible explanation.

.... Or your lack of ability to consider what was really being pointed out.  

Never was there a defense of the decisions of this ownership group. I am not defending Jerry Reinsdorf.  Simply pointing out a new ownership group may have difficulty with debt due to purchase price. 

I would have thought a teacher could understand that point; but you decided to be snarky instead of having a dialogue. Too bad. 

5 minutes ago, Tony said:

You’re missing the point. The core issue is the front office actually believed they were shrewd enough to lure in Machado with moves like Jay and Yonder instead of paying 2019 prices for talent. 

You get what you pay for. 

I agree 100%.  The current front office needs to go.  

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, 59th street said:

I agree 100%.  The current front office needs to go.  

And ownership protects them, for whatever reason. Whether it's money, or that they're yes-men, or that they've made sure to surround themselves with yes-men to avoid accountability...whatever it is, there is no failure too big for this ownership.

• Thanks 1

The core issue the guys we have traded for and drafted the past couple of years have not panned out on the field and/or been injured.

We all know the names you guys keep going on bemoaning the loss of Machado baseball is greater then one player. This team is devoid of talent everywhere.

There will be other opportunities to hand out 250 million on a top player. Kopech. Moncada. Gio. The fact none of these guys are producing for us right now despite being top 10 prospects that is the real the problem.

Edited by wrathofhahn

Have JR sell the team and I will take my chances with the new owners. I would guess that the new owners would bring in some decent players to help turn this team around. When JR bought the team in 1981 he signed Luzinski, Fisk and Floyd Bannister. It helped change the image of the franchise. I would think the new owners would do the same thing. If anything a new owner would provide some hope for the future. This appears to be a hopeless situation under this ownership.

Its a shame we didn't have new owners this off season. I would of rather had  the new owners trying to sign Machado and Harper instead of our present FO.

Edited by WBWSF

Are you kidding me? The best thing that can happen to this dormant organization is for JR to sell the team. The Bulls and White Sox both haven't been relevant for about a decade now. JR doesn't want to outbid other teams on superstars and is completely out of touch with the modernization of baseball.  It is time for the old man to give it up and let a new ownership group take over. I read an article from 2013 stating that once JR dies, he wants his family to sell the White Sox and keep the Bulls. JR will never fire KW or Hahn (who clearly are not on the same page) their mixed messages after the Machado failure exemplified this. JR makes plenty of $$ each year for reaching the status quo and his sweetheart stadium deal pretty much lets him keep all profits. As fans, we are stuck in baseball Hell with JR and his cronies. The rebuild decision was a breath a fresh air, but so far the developmental aspect of it all has been disappointing. The payroll has been low for three years now and it will only get lower next season. Hahn said the $$ will be spent, but on who? The free agent class next winter is mediocre at best. And didn't Hahn say they were tired of being 'mired in mediocrity'? Umm heres an idea, spend $$ that you HAVE PLENTY OF and get a 26 year old generational talent, oh dang... these players will not be available next winter, or the winter after that.... so who the Hell does Hahn plan on spending the $$ on? More 32, 33 year old Todd Frazier and Melky Cabrera types? Yeah, that sure will generate excitement with this pissed off fan base. #TimeForANewOwner

Edited by GreatScott82
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

This thread made my head explode.

It makes my head explode, too, but JR will do what he wants when he wants and all indications are he has no intention of selling.  Speculation about it is only a form of torture. We all know big change is needed, but we have no power to make those changes. Meanwhile I wonder what kind of legacy he wants to have. I wouldn't want the one he has now.

Some simple math destroys the argument stated to start this post.  I'm attaching links to two articles that discuss revenue of MLB teams.  One basically says if you add up the shared revenue splits, a team like the Sox has $75-$80 million in shared revenue yearly before much of anything starts financially (local TV deals, clothing sales), etc..  The second article posts the White Sox revenue in 2017 was $266 million.  Franchises don't increase in value from $19 million to $1.3 billion in 30 years because people aren't making money.  If someone bought this team, they would be raking in dough as well.  The difference with billionaire Jerry is, he is not interested in only pocketing $150 million and spending an extra $100 million on his team.  He spends what he thinks is necessary to hit his maximum profit and keep the same base 20,000 fans coming.  We couldn't be worse off in this market with another owner.

https://thesportsdaily.com/2019/01/18/the-real-business-of-baseball-managing-the-revenue-revolution/

https://www.statista.com/statistics/193645/revenue-of-major-league-baseball-teams-in-2010/

1 minute ago, OneDog847 said:

Man, if it was announced that JR sold the Sox I would drive to NW Indiana and buy enough fireworks to celebrate like it was 2005 all over again.

Something is rotten at 35th and Shields and the smell is coming from the owners suite. 

This is not a new phenomenon.  That stench of the culture of losing this owner has enveloped this franchise in has been going on for a long, long time.  This embarrassing offseason is just the latest in a long list of epic failures and disasters that’s happened on  Jerry Reinsdorf’s watch since he arrived on the South Side over 38 years ago.  

Today the fan base feels the cumulative effect of the nearly 40 years of failure with Reinsdorf as owner.  The Sox already have the worst TV and radio ratings in baseball, and are bottom five in attendance.  Unfortunately, that’s only going to get a lot worse for a while now, perhaps until that day when the fan base is finally relieved of this owner and the yes-men stooges who work for him.  

2 minutes ago, Fan O'Faust said:

This is not a new phenomenon.  That stench of the culture of losing this owner has enveloped this franchise in has been going on for a long, long time.  This embarrassing offseason is just the latest in a long list of epic failures and disasters that’s happened on  Jerry Reinsdorf’s watch since he arrived on the South Side over 38 years ago.  

Today the fan base feels the cumulative effect of the nearly 40 years of failure with Reinsdorf as owner.  The Sox already have the worst TV and radio ratings in baseball, and are bottom five in attendance.  Unfortunately, that’s only going to get a lot worse for a while now, perhaps until that day when the fan base is finally relieved of this owner and the yes-men stooges who work for him.  

Sadly, you probably put more work into this post than those 3 Idiots have invested into the Sox pursuit of Harper since January 1st.

I wish reinsdorf would do it like mike illitch and spend the final years of his life. I mean billionaires are businessmen and don't give away money but what is the point in saving if you are 85 years old?

Illitch just said screw it and spent money to win one more championship. Sure his sons probably didn't like it but who cares, they still will be super rich.

15 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

We haven’t combed through the list of High Liquidity Middle Eastern and Asian billionaires quite yet...not every single one of them can buy a football club.

I just read a whole book about the last 25 years of the Premier League business wide and all the new owners.  That's my last hope for the White Sox.  A Russian oil tycoon, a shiek from the Middle East, somebody with a net worth in the 10 figures that just wants a play team in the States.

1 minute ago, LittleHurt05 said:

I just read a whole book about the last 25 years of the Premier League business wide and all the new owners.  That's my last hope for the White Sox.  A Russian oil tycoon, a shiek from the Middle East, somebody with a net worth in the 10 figures that just wants a play team in the States.

I don’t know, didn’t work for the nets.

25 minutes ago, bmags said:

I don’t know, didn’t work for the nets.

This is true.  European soccer does work much differently than the American system as far as acquiring talent.

As a side note, this led me to this hilarious Wikipedia tidbit about the Nets owner. 😆

Personal life[edit]

Prokhorov has never been married and is acknowledged as one of the world's most eligible bachelors.[by whom?] Shortly after purchasing the Nets, he vowed to get married if the Nets had not won the NBA championship within five years. In July 2015, he rescinded the pledge, saying that NBA Commissioner Adam Silver had "taken his place" by marrying his fiancée in May.[61]

52 minutes ago, LittleHurt05 said:

I don't know if we want an amoral, depraved member of some rentier states royal family running the team. Even if it means spending dough left and right.