Why you should not want Reinsdorf to sell the SOX

59th street

Despite ownership's unwillingness to spend at market level for the big 2 free agents; it could be unrealstic to expect better if the Reinsdorf ownership group sold the team.

The current ownership group paid approximarely $24 million for the team.  The franchise is estimated to be worth  close to One Billion now.  Any new ownership group would likely have to finance a purchase from the Reinsdorf group.  The debt load could negatively impact wild spending on free agents and payroll. 

The fact that the current Reinsdorf ownership group refused to participate at Market rate levels despite having:      Very Low payroll, Extremely  favorable Stadium Lease terms and No Debt Service (instead they have gigantiac equity value) is not likely to be solved by a new ownership group.  

A new ownership group may be more in tune with what actual Market Rate levels are for generational free agents, but the debt level they may have to take on to buy the team could suppress their available cash to spend.  

This failure to take advantage of a truly unique opportunity,  is the most troubling aspect of our owners decision.  Especially since we were in the most advantageous financial position. It is unlikely to be available again any time soon.

We need a bunch of the prospects to become high performers,  and that is clearly the chosen path. I am excited to see the development. 

I am a White Sox fan for life.   Go Go White Sox. 

• Haha 1
  • Love 1

So we're unwilling to spend right now, but if they sold the team, they might be equally unwilling to spend when appropriate? Am I reading this right or have we even given up on the idea that things could get worse if they sell and now just arguing that it doesn't matter because the franchise is doomed?

Just now, Balta1701 said:

So we're unwilling to spend right now, but if they sold the team, they might be equally unwilling to spend when appropriate? Am I reading this right or have we even given up on the idea that things could get worse if they sell and now just arguing that it doesn't matter because the franchise is doomed?

They were clearly willing to spend,

• Haha 4

57 minutes ago, bmags said:

A competent front office with our budget could win the division every year.

Absolutely. 

The Sox should be a mid-market team. They don't behave like one. They behave stupidly. They rob from player development/analytics to fund the big league team, and when they have a lower payroll they just pocket the savings. 

If they aren't going to invest into Player Development, 7/2 FA, analytics and scouting/better draft philosophy, then nothing really matters anyway. They have to be better than everyone else there in order to compete, and JR refuses to get with the times. They should make their budget based on spending the proper amounts in these areas, and be honest with the fanbase. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

10 years and counting no playoffs.  6 losing seasons in a row and counting.  There is no reason you should not was JR to sell the team if for the lone reason KW and RH and RR and the jobs for life coaching staff would immediately be dismissed. 

The offers to Machafo, and Harper if Harper even got one, were of the half assed variety in reality.Something we are more than used to by now.

Edited by Dick Allen
  • Like 2
  • Love 2

10 minutes ago, wrathofhahn said:

They were clearly willing to spend,

Who is that clear to exactly?  Sorry, I don’t buy Rick’s bullshit anymore and you shouldn’t either.

Willing to spend on their own terms does not equal willing to spend at market value/rate.  And if you aren’t willing to spend at the level the market requires, you aren’t signing top free agents.

Edited by Harper2Sox
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

No they weren't quit buying the FO's bullshit. They never intended to land any of these guys. 

That simply doesn't comport with what happened.

You can disagree with the CWS internal evaluation of these players value but they put out a legit offer. They traded for Alonso. The signed Jay. They made a serious effort to get him.

Them trying and failing to land Machado to me anyways lowered my opinion of the FO. 

1. I don't think this roster is anywhere near to competing. 

2. it exposed the desperation of the FO trading for Alonso and Jay were the moves of a desperate FO.

Patience has clearly run out with the rebuild with is unfortunate I just hope Hahn and Kenny desperation doesn't lead them to make any short sighted trades.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, wrathofhahn said:

You can disagree with the CWS internal evaluation of these players value but they put out a legit offer. They traded for Alonso. The signed Jay. They made a serious effort to get him.

Them trying and failing to land Machado to me anyways lowered my opinion of the FO. 

2. it exposed the desperation of the FO trading for Alonso and Jay were the moves of a desperate FO.

Patience has clearly run out with the rebuild with is unfortunate I just hope Hahn and Kenny desperation doesn't lead them to make any short sighted trades.

If they weren't going to offer either player $300M guaranteed, they were never serious. It is black and white as well as binary. Offer 300M=Serious. Offer less than 300M=Not Serious. There was one team that was actually serious with Machado and that is why they got him.  I cannot consider any dollar amount less than 300M a "legit offer" and to insinuate otherwise insults my intelligence as a fan. The fact that they think it was a legit offer shows how delusional they are. 

Did they offer $300M guaranteed to either player? No. Therefore, they didn't make a legit offer. No amount of GM speak will convince me otherwise. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, wrathofhahn said:

The fact that they did the party bus alonso and jay moves and just expected Machado to take a huge discount because of it definitely shows that the effort wasn't serious. 

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, fathom said:

So we’re scared a new owner wouldn’t spend?  And that’s different than Jerry how?

The difference is that Jerry CAN spend but decided not to, in the instant matter. 

A new ownership group could legitimately be hamstrung by a debt load service that actually prevents spending.

Thus we need a new front office, (that is not stale and afraid) to show ownership how to take advantage of the tremendous financial advantages this ownership group has and should have leveraged.   

This is very similar to the situation the Blackhawks were in under Old man Wirtz.  Once Rocky Wirtz took control,  the advantages of that ownership group were unleashed with great effectiveness. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, 59th street said:

Despite ownership's unwillingness to spend at market level for the big 2 free agents; it could be unrealstic to expect better if the Reinsdorf ownership group sold the team.

The current ownership group paid approximarely $24 million for the team.  The franchise is estimated to be worth  close to One Billion now.  Any new ownership group would likely have to finance a purchase from the Reinsdorf group.  The debt load could negatively impact wild spending on free agents and payroll. 

The fact that the current Reinsdorf ownership group refused to participate at Market rate levels despite having:      Very Low payroll, Extremely  favorable Stadium Lease terms and No Debt Service (instead they have gigantiac equity value) is not likely to be solved by a new ownership group.  

A new ownership group may be more in tune with what actual Market Rate levels are for generational free agents, but the debt level they may have to take on to buy the team could suppress their available cash to spend.  

This failure to take advantage of a truly unique opportunity,  is the most troubling aspect of our owners decision.  Especially since we were in the most advantageous financial position. It is unlikely to be available again any time soon.

We need a bunch of the prospects to become high performers,  and that is clearly the chosen path. I am excited to see the development. 

I am a White Sox fan for life.   Go Go White Sox. 

Is this J. Michael Robertson back again in a management shill form?  This has to be about the worst rationale I’ve ever heard for fans to get behind.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, 59th street said:

The difference is that Jerry CAN spend but decided not to, in the instant matter. 

A new ownership group could legitimately be hamstrung by a debt load service that actually prevents spending.

Thus we need a new front office, (that is not stale and afraid) to show ownership how to take advantage of the tremendous financial advantages this ownership group has and should have leveraged.   

This is very similar to the situation the Blackhawks were in under Old man Wirtz.  Once Rocky Wirtz took control,  the advantages of that ownership group were unleashed with great effectiveness. 

The Padres had significant assumed debt and their own stadium renovation costs to handle privately...didn’t manage to fatally hamstring them.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, 59th street said:

Unfortunately, the same person who is making the spending decisions is also the person willing to keep Rick Hahn and Kenny Williams on in their roles. You're arguing for JR not selling - that argument also means you're ok with many more years of Rick Hahn.

So here's a choice for you then - you get a new ownership group who has more spending constraints, but you get rid of this inept front office staff and clean house top to bottom. You ok with that?

• Like 1

All things considered, JR will never have a better time to sell the Sox. No future obligations, and the next owner can do just about any thing they want.

Paid 12$ million for the team and turned a tidy profit every year. What would he expect to receive? 1$ billion or more ? On top of every thing else, he

actually won a ring to boot. Please Mr. Reinsdorf, sell the team. Life long fans like myself need some hope.

• Like 1