KW: "It's a shame" the Sox are being portrayed as cheap

Jose Abreu

14 minutes ago, bschmaranz said:

Let's give him a participation trophy.  Seems like all he wanted in the first place.  And if he brings up the AAV thing again I'm gonna kill him.

That's what I don't get about this. KW is a competitor. How the f%ck is he content with simply having a seat at the table? 

Dude sounds like a freaking  Theranos or Enron executive. No One is buying the BS he is selling any longer. 

Edited by OneDog847

1 hour ago, caulfield12 said:

They should just change the name of the team to the Chicago Cheap Sox/Bargain Hunters/Bargain Basement Hitmen.

The only countervailing evidence is Luis Robert (and not blowing way past the budget, losing two full classes in LA) and 14 years and counting since 2005 of mid-range and even upper tier payrolls, but probably as poorly spent in terms of $$$/fWAR of any organization in MLB.

Honestly, if JR wasn't protected/shielded/insulated (choose the best term) by the Bulls/MJ and those 6 championships, along with 2005, well, it's just impossible to imagine how ugly it would actually be if this happened and the Sox hadn't won at least one World Series in the recent past.

I'm also quite thankful that Reinsdorf is not nearly as high-profile or flamboyant as George Soros or similar financiers, or the ethnic/religious/anti-Semitism would really be picking up, especially in this current political climate...we've already seen a number of pictures/cartoons of JR swimming in money or bathing in it, but we're edging closer to a danger zone.

KW might not come out and say it, but accusing Jewish owner/s of being cheap or hoarding their money is the equivalent of the Iowa BB announcer Gary Dolphin calling Bruno Fernando "King Kong" in the middle of the paint.  It might be intentional/malicious and is likely subconscious, but it's there, and it's not going away anytime soon.

The first thing all White Sox young fans learn about is 1917/1919, Shoeless Joe Jackson and Charles Comiskey.

It's really a shame that this period of time was seized upon by the Yankees...and that we're just as much known for finishing 2nd/being cheap (Veeck and then JR) as we are being one of the most storied franchises in the major leagues.

How many people on this board do you think care about Iowa basketball ? Trust me I held off saying this until I saw it at least 10 times recently in your avalanche of posts since the bungled signing of Machado.

Yes and let's bring social issues like racism and anti-semitism into it as well by all means . Honestly just stick to the topic at hand and you will be fine.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, turnin' two said:

Let's start a gofundme to buy the team.  Shouldn't cost too much, it isn't like they have any real assets.  

If we approach it like Hahn and JR, then we should be able to get the Sox for a bargain price...since they've pretty much destroyed their remaining fanbase, t.v. and radio ratings, ticket sales, etc.

Distressed assets...that's a specialty of Warren Buffett and Berkshire-Hathaway.

And, on the plus side, they've got a very clean balance sheet from 2020 onwards....especially after they dump Abreu on someone.

16 minutes ago, whitesoxwinner said:

There has to be something we can do to spark change. We need to do something. Can we make a coup and overthrow jerry?

Sure, if you can manage to acquire a 51% management stake by buying out other owners...probably need somewhere in the vicinity of $800 million, maybe $900 million....although the way things are going since last Tuesday, they might have to settle for $700-750 million and be happy.

At least the executives with the Cubs' Network can enjoy a sigh of relief and know there will be no pressure on their subscription prices coming from the Sox...they'll be the only game in town for at least the next two years, if not three.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/bryce-harpers-deal-phillies-made-internet-lose-mind-215416918.html

At least the Philly fanbase can go nuts...and the Nationals' fanbase, booing him.  That makes for really exciting races in the NL East, NL Central, AL East and eventually the NL West when the Padres' prospects all start to hit the big leagues (not to mention the Rockies just extended Arenado).

ESPN will be elated with both the AL East and NL East being powerhouse divisions with lots of compelling storylines.

Edited by caulfield12

21 minutes ago, drgiggles15 said:

Everyone can blame JR, but I personally put a lot of blame on Hahn and KW. The Padres were out on Manny, but Preller personally convinced the owner to get back in it and spend the cash needed. We may all hate Preller, but that's how it's done.

Now you know why JR has kept KW around. He's willing to take the blame and focus from JR.

41 minutes ago, Quin said:

For all their many, many faults GarPax are still good at draft. They've got another high draft pick coming up and they've got 4 non-shit players.

They're in a tier just above the rest of those teams. But not by much.

The Bulls are one of the worst and least talented teams in the NBA.

I have no idea why people think the Bulls have 4 non-shit players. Those 4 non-shit guys play every night and the Bulls might be the worst team in the NBA. 

Who was the last person they drafted that hit unexpectedly? Jimmy Butler? That was 10 years ago. If they don't luck into the #1 pick, this team would have been irrelevant since Kirk Hinrich left.

6 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

I have no idea why people think the Bulls have 4 non-shit players. Those 4 non-shit guys play every night and the Bulls might be the worst team in the NBA. 

Who was the last person they drafted that hit unexpectedly? Jimmy Butler? That was 10 years ago. If they don't luck into the #1 pick, this team would have been irrelevant since Kirk Hinrich left.

Horrible take. You clearly don't pay attention to the bulls much. They have been killed by injuries. At least Garpax has a really solid draft resume. Much better than Rick and Kenny. They hit much more than other GMs. He also shafted the wolves in the Jimmy Butler trade. 

Edited by ron883

6 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Lauri Markannen just finished February averaging 26 and 12 but sure you got it

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ron883 said:

Horrible take. You clearly don't pay attention to the bulls much. They have been killed by injuries. At least Garpax has a really solid draft resume. Much better than Ruck and Kenny. They hit much more than other GMs. He also shafted the wolves in the Jimmy Butler trade. 

What does it really matter?  They are in NBA hell.  No top star wants to sign with Chicago.  And now Jerry has done the same to his baseball team.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Sure, if you can manage to acquire a 51% management stake by buying out other owners...probably need somewhere in the vicinity of $800 million, maybe $900 million....although the way things are going since last Tuesday, they might have to settle for $700-750 million and be happy.

At least the executives with the Cubs' Network can enjoy a sigh of relief and know there will be no pressure on their subscription prices coming from the Sox...they'll be the only game in town for at least the next two years, if not three.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/bryce-harpers-deal-phillies-made-internet-lose-mind-215416918.html

At least the Philly fanbase can go nuts...and the Nationals' fanbase, booing him.  That makes for really exciting races in the NL East, NL Central, AL East and eventually the NL West when the Padres' prospects all start to hit the big leagues (not to mention the Rockies just extended Arenado).

ESPN will be elated with both the AL East and NL East being powerhouse divisions with lots of compelling storylines.

One day

3 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I know you’re kidding but our internal cap on free agents is probably about half of what Trout will ultimately agree to.

Watch the Phillies double down and bring in Trout after 2020...they REALLY have a future to be excited about now, going into that off-season as at least a 50/50 shot at him, with the Yankees and Angels being two other logical landing points.

1 hour ago, southsideirish71 said:

Wait till they "prove" they are not cheap in the offseason loading up on nonsense FA's at the end of their career with name recognition.   Next offseason will be a reactionary spend on nothing.  

I guarantee we sign Goldschmidt & Bumgarner.  Those will be our prizes.

5 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I guarantee we sign Goldschmidt & Bumgarner.  Those will be our prizes.

I really don't think you have enough energy to sustain that storyline for another 12 months...even then, the responses will be, Bumgarner's arm/shoulder/elbow will fall off (another Peavy or Danks, basically) and Goldschmidt will suddenly lose his bat speed converting to the AL and turn into Adam Dunn Version 2.0.

Edited by caulfield12