KW: "It's a shame" the Sox are being portrayed as cheap

Jose Abreu

The criticism is obviously getting to them.  KW comes out and days something, but he says the wrong thing.  Like, totally wrong.  Hahn seems to speak a little more honestly, but he's still not saying anything that is going to make the fans respect them more.  If they were not willing to spend what was necessary from the beginning, then they shouldn't have said anything eluding to them pursuing one of the big two.

• Like 1

It’s sad to think that 2 weeks ago it seemed like a 3 team race for Machado and Harper and by process of elimination we all thought Padres would get shut out. But when the dust is all settled it turns out it’s the Sox who are left holding their dick in their hands. That’s just the reality for Sox fans, we never get good things.

12 minutes ago, Lillian said:

The fact that no one, anywhere, seems to really be able to defend what management has done, is precisely why I was so confident that they wouldn't do it. I thought; "surely they can't be so obtuse, that they would mess this up so badly, that it would be indefensible". I thought that they would at least offer a contract to Harper, which would provide them with an excuse. If they had offered $300 + million, for any length of time, with an opt out, after year 4, they would have been able to at least argue that they tried. But, for Harper to take a contract, from a team, that he didn't seem to prefer, with no opt outs, while our front office freely admits that they just couldn't go that far, is simply inexplicable. The 13 years is arguably advantageous for the team, because it lowers the annual expenditure, thus providing more protection agains the "luxury tax". And that is why not even Hahn, with his ability to spin things, can't offer a plausible and reasonable explanation. There just may not be any good explanation, one which doesn't confirm what so many suspected.

Many of us spoke a great deal about the intangible benefits of signing Harper. There was the "Q factor". We argued over just how much his presence could mean in merchandise sales and other off the field benefits. Well, the way that this thing was handled, or should I say "botched," is having the exact opposite effect. Whatever good will the signing might have created, the bad will is likely to eclipse, by several multiples. This front office folly will likely be considered one of the worst chapters in White Sox history, perhaps somewhere between the Black Sox Scandal and the White Flag disaster. It will be interesting to see the repercussions. That's where the fans come in.

The fans are going to react. In this age of social media, the vocal expressions of disgruntled fans will spread and could become quite contagious. The idea of a bill board is too expensive, and will not reach enough fans. I still think that signs, in the ball park, held up by fans, would be more effective and cost almost nothing. They will be seen by other fans, sitting nearby and make it difficult for the TV cameras to avoid. If fans could flood the stands with signs of protest, it would probably get press, as well. Even if the White Sox tried to prohibit them, that cencorship would be publicized. Many fans already enjoy making signs, to hold up at the games. All that would be required here is that they start changing the messages. It's a way for fans to express their anger and frustration, in clever and creative ways. The signs should not contain any profanity, or vulgarity. They should be civil and even polite, while still expressing fair criticism. This is the best way to voice our disapproval of management and ownership. 

Unfortunately JR is one of the most out of touch owners in sports. He never reacted to recent fan ciriticisms to either of his two organizations. I wish they could or would do anything to win back the trust of the fan base, but I would highly doubt it.

Edited by thxfrthmmrs

7 minutes ago, thxfrthmmrs said:

Unfortunately JR is one of the most out of touch owners in sports. He never reacted to recent fan ciriticisms to either of his two organizations. I wish they could or would do anything to win back the trust of the fan base, but I would highly doubt it.

Perhaps you're right, but why not try to let them know? If the message is not clear, ownership and management might just assume that the fans are OK with their performance. They might turn around and blame the dwindling attendance on the fans. While the fans can't "force" ownership to do anything different, they can certainly exert some pressure. Why not at least make it uncomfortable for Mr. Reinsdorf and his lackies?

2 minutes ago, Lillian said:

Perhaps you're right, but why not try to let them know? If the message is not clear, ownership and management might just assume that the fans are OK with their performance. They might turn around and blame the dwindling attendance on the fans. While the fans can't "force" ownership to do anything different, they can certainly exert some pressure. Why not at least make it uncomfortable for Mr. Reinsdorf and his lackies?

I’m sure the argument will be that the remaining diehard Sox fans will have frustrations that fans are not attending games taken out on them by more KW diatribes about “disloyal” fans until almost none are left...leading to less and less spending.

Almost wish they were bottom 2-3 last year in attendance so there would have been an excuse not to completely light $45 million on fire on stopgap veterans who will get us our next Ryan Cordell, Kodi Medeiros, etc.

11 minutes ago, Lillian said:

The easiest and most effective way to make that message is to not go. If you don't have season tickets already purchased, take a year off. If you typically get a ticket package, politely email your ticket rep and say this will be your last year. Hold to those pledges even if Eloy hits 35 home runs. If you typically go to 2 or 3 games a year, go to your nearest minor league or college stadium and take the family out to a nice dinner first. Take a trip to Cinci or St. Louis and go see a new ballpark.

They're counting on your anger dying off over time. As long as you spend enough money, they're ok with you being angry with them. Hell, Kenny's pissed at you for not being fully satisfied with how hard they tried.

Between boycotting games, social media criticisms, and if any fan wanna take out billboards like Bulls fans did to trash the FO, I think the message would be a lot more loud and clear and would actually impact their bottom line. The difference with the Bulls is many of their fans are Cubs fans who would buy season tickets and go to games even if the product is horrible, but Sox they do not have that type of luxury.

Edited by thxfrthmmrs

2 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

The easiest and most effective way to make that message is to not go. If you don't have season tickets already purchased, take a year off. If you typically get a ticket package, politely email your ticket rep and say this will be your last year. Hold to those pledges even if Eloy hits 35 home runs. If you typically go to 2 or 3 games a year, go to your nearest minor league or college stadium and take the family out to a nice dinner first.

They're counting on your anger dying off over time. As long as you spend enough money, they're ok with you being angry with them.

Yeah, it would actually be the year (and probably next as well) to do some “amateur” scouting of high school and collegiate players in your local area that are possible #3 and 2nd/3rd round picks...as well as “tough to sign” high school seniors with big-time college commitments.

It’s always fun to discuss the potential of all these players before the White Sox get their hands on them...especially after you’ve actually watched them live or at least on t.v. multiple times.

27 minutes ago, Harper2Sox said:

Harper obviously didn’t want to go to Philly.  Crappy city and fans.  But JR wouldn’t show him the money.

I mean he signed a 13 year deal with no opt outs and a no trade, so I don't think this is the case.

2 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Yeah, it would actually be the year (and probably next as well) to do some “amateur” scouting of high school and collegiate players in your local area that are possible #3 and 2nd/3rd round picks...as well as “tough to sign” high school seniors with big-time college commitments.

It’s always fun to discuss the potential of all these players before the White Sox get their hands on them...especially after you’ve actually watched them live or at least on t.v. multiple times.

Beyond that, minor league stadiums always try to have gimmicks and put on good shows in-between innings, you're closer to the field, and there might be a kids area. It's a fun little time.

3 minutes ago, thxfrthmmrs said:

Between boycotting games, social media criticism and if any fan wanna take it billboards like Bulls fan did to trash the FO, I think the message would be a lot more loud and clear and would actually impact their bottom line. The difference with the Bulls when many of their fans were Cubs fans who would buy season tickets and go to games even if the product is horrible. But with Sox they do not have that luxury.

All of those things would contribute to sending the message. However, if you want to go to games, the signs are a way to be there, and still deliver your message. If you go, but don't send a message, ownership will assume that you're just fine with their decisions. This should be a no brainer.

Just now, Brian said:

I mean he signed a 13 year deal with no opt outs and a no trade, so I don't think this is the case.

I think part of him revels in the idea of going back to DC 9-10 times per year and having boos rain down on his head like Barry Bonds.

There would certainly be nothing like it from the massively-underattended AL Central fans for 76 games per year.   Gets to play in NYC, Miami, Atlanta and DC, those are all great cities for visiting players.

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

Beyond that, minor league stadiums always try to have gimmicks and put on good shows in-between innings, you're closer to the field, and there might be a kids area. It's a fun little time.

Not to mention nearly unlimited autographs and genuine interaction with the players, coaches, broadcasters and front office staffers.

2 minutes ago, Lillian said:

All of those things would contribute to sending the message. However, if you want to go to games, the signs are a way to be there, and still deliver your message. If you go, but don't send a message, ownership will assume that you're just fine with their decisions. This should be a no brainer.

If you're buying tickets, spending money - they won't care about your sign. 

Maybe Kenny will. 2019 promotion - one angry fan wins a raffle to have Kenny yell at them during the game over their ingratitude. 

2 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

I think part of him revels in the idea of going back to DC 9-10 times per year and having boos rain down on his head like Barry Bonds.

There would certainly be nothing like it from the massively-underattended AL Central fans for 76 games per year.   Gets to play in NYC, Miami, Atlanta and DC, those are all great cities for visiting players.

You keep harping on this point but I do not think that that’s a criteria at all for Harper. It’s all about the money.

Just now, Balta1701 said:

If you're buying tickets, spending money - they won't care about your sign. 

Maybe Kenny will. 2019 promotion - one angry fan wins a raffle to have Kenny yell at them during the game over their ingratitude. 

Then he can personally accompany you into the clubhouse and flip the postgame buffet spread all over you and your friends (insurance waivers not included.)

1 minute ago, thxfrthmmrs said:

You keep harping on this point but I do not think that that’s a criteria at all for Harper. It’s all about the money.

The dead giveaway is the total dollars. He gave up anything else - opt out, high AAV - in order to top Stanton's total dollar amount. That was their #1, 100% top priority, and they were willing to sacrifice everything else about their contract to meet that goal. He'd have played in Kane County for $330 million.

47 minutes ago, Lillian said:

The only way to exert that pressure is by not showing up. If you do show up wear a bag over your head. SIgns probably would be confiscated no matter how politely negative they are and I don't trust Sox fans to be politely negative at all . Attendance under 1M might do the trick but if Eloy shows he is the real deal that might not be possible.