KW: "It's a shame" the Sox are being portrayed as cheap

Jose Abreu

12 hours ago, soxfan49 said:

"We aren't cheap"

"If we were able to afford Machado and Harper they would have come here"

Uh you just proved how cheap you idiots are. God damn **** this organization

This is the KW motto from forever ago. We aren't cheap, we are poor. What's totally odd is that every other team points to player valuation for why they didn't pay for a guy, but the Sox have never said that.

Their excuses about signing a new core is so lame. Not one guy right now can be seen as a future core player. Eloy hasn't played in the MLB. Kopech is out for the year. Everyone else has been underwhelming or hurt.

6 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

There is no reliable source that said they actually even tried to sign Harper. They met him, but that seems about it. Once Boras gave a price, it seems they were done.

Yeah it's basically worst case scenario. I thought they just weren't being public but the truth is they were out in the first week of December.

I'm calling out all these Sox fans talking about it's not a failure because they are glad we didn't get either player. A player may not be worth the full contract, but their signing is still very important to certain teams that lack credibility. The bottom line is this team told us they would put forth the effort and that money would be there. They wanted Machado and failed. I didn't like Carmelo Anthony years ago because he is overrated, but I wanted the Bulls to sign him because that would have given us credibility in the league while being great for that team and fans. 

19 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

It's a shame the White Sox put their fans in a position to call them cheap. Sell the team if you can't spend the money to compete. KW's "love connection" with Bryce Harper was worth a 0% discount.

I hate to say this and, as a Sox fan I never thought I would, but I just don't care anymore! They don't care and neither do I!!

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Here's the other thing to look forward to, if these prospects ever turn into studs who could command huge deals, you better hope the Sox manipulate their service clocks, because they are out of here the second they become free agents unless something changes upstairs.

I was thinking this same thing. If we can't sign two Hall of Famers to fair market deals with a weak market, can we sign our own guys if they warrant it? If Moncada turns into prime Cano he will want 375 million by the time his contract is up. Would we be willing to set the market and pay him? What if the Dodgers and Yankees come across money and push it to 400 million? 

1 minute ago, SonofaRoache said:

I was thinking this same thing. If we can't sign two Hall of Famers to fair market deals with a weak market, can we sign our own guys if they warrant it? If Moncada turns into prime Cano he will want 375 million by the time his contract is up. Would we be willing to set the market and pay him? What if the Dodgers and Yankees come across money and push it to 400 million? 

Eloy maybe but the rest of them aren't good enough to warrant this type of thinking.

3 minutes ago, oldsox said:

All arguments here make sense, or least most of them.  But the underlying problem here is that players don't want to play for this team in this city.

Both Harper and Machado would've gladly signed with the White Sox if they were offered enough money.

20 minutes ago, oldsox said:

All arguments here make sense, or least most of them.  But the underlying problem here is that players don't want to play for this team in this city.

That is demonstrably false and you know that. Had we given either of them the money, they would have signed here, period. It's about the money, don't use too much energy trying to make it something it really isn't. 

13 hours ago, Lillian said:

And, so what will their excuse be, if and when they actually do develop some of the talent, as they approach arbitration and free agency. Maybe they'll claim that they can't spend the money to extend them, because they have to allocate the funds toward "next year's big Super Star free agent". When a loyal fan feels this much disdain for their favorite team's management, it's a very sad situation. Again, someone needs to be held accountable for this mess.

By then they’ll have signed four or five average players for $40-60m apiece, and Hahn will point to it and tell us that the “money was spent.” 

Then Eloy is going to sign with the Tigers and lead their next window of contention. 

*at a cattle auction*

Auctioneer: Okay we're gonna open up the bidding

Oklahoma rancher: $100!

Texas rancher: $150

Kansas rancher: $155

Texas rancher: $160

Auctioneer: SOLD to the texas rancher!

Oklahoma rancher: I don't understand why these cows hate oklahoma so much. Ah well, some day people will enjoy dog meat.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, oldsox said:

How do you figure? Look at all the offers that leaked. Both players signed for the highest guaranteed dollars. 

This stuff isn’t rocket science. For once, the old analogy works backward: Hahn is trying to play 4D chess in damn game of checkers!