KW: "It's a shame" the Sox are being portrayed as cheap

Jose Abreu

10 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Nothing grim about it...Jerry must die for the Sox to move forward.  It’s really that simple and while I won’t actively root for his death, I won’t shed a tear once he is gone (unless his son Michael somehow assumes power 😪).  He is literally holding this franchise hostage with his archaic ways.

JR has publicly said many time he advises his family to sell the Sox and keep the Bulls.

16 minutes ago, GermanSoxFan said:

That doesn't guarantee that they will do it though.

Why hop off this TV/MLBAM revenue gravy train?

If the Reinsdorf family keeps the team, I'll stop being a fan. I am not going through another generation of this inane crap.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

24 minutes ago, GermanSoxFan said:

Do any of the shareholder agreements specify that only JR can be chairman and that they get a vote or a say on a new chairperson? Because any change in ownership structure would be a great reason for them to depart. 

11 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Do any of the shareholder agreements specify that only JR can be chairman and that they get a vote or a say on a new chairperson? Because any change in ownership structure would be a great reason for them to depart. 

Balta it's my understanding from talking to people who know more about this than I do, that JR has the sole right to sell to whomever he wishes if he ever decided to do it. The other shareholders can offer opinions, can disagree but they have zero power is stopping a sale to whomever JR wishes to sell to in this example.

It is also specifically written into JR's contract that he and he alone has the say in the day to day running of the operations of the club. I don't believe the others can have a vote of no-confidence for wont of a better word and remove him, it's pretty much ironclad. They gave up all rights in how the team is run decades ago.

It's about as good of a deal as you can possibly get in this situation. I have heard in the past some of the minority owners and in fact JR's wife has wanted him to sell in the past but he refused to do so.

40 minutes ago, GermanSoxFan said:

JR's son Michael is now basically running the Bulls and has expressed no desire (so far) in having anything to do with the White Sox. I have never heard or read anything about any other family members expressing any interest in keeping the Sox to this point.

It's funny, basically the same reason I became a Sox fan is the reason I am quitting the White Sox.

My dad came to this country in the 70s from Poland and quickly became a big baseball fan. For obvious TV reasons, he mostly watched the Cubs. But he got sick of how they were proud of being lovable losers and they always had some BS excuse of why they could never be good enough to win. So he became a White Sox fan.

40 years later, my life has come full circle. The White Sox are that team that is proud of being the little engine that almost could. "We're not cheap. Just unlucky. Woe is us." 

• Love 2

6 hours ago, LittleHurt05 said:

It's funny, basically the same reason I became a Sox fan is the reason I am quitting the White Sox.

My dad came to this country in the 70s from Poland and quickly became a big baseball fan. For obvious TV reasons, he mostly watched the Cubs. But he got sick of how they were proud of being lovable losers and they always had some BS excuse of why they could never be good enough to win. So he became a White Sox fan.

40 years later, my life has come full circle. The White Sox are that team that is proud of being the little engine that almost could. "We're not cheap. Just unlucky. Woe is us." 

Pick a team. 

11 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Balta it's my understanding from talking to people who know more about this than I do, that JR has the sole right to sell to whomever he wishes if he ever decided to do it. The other shareholders can offer opinions, can disagree but they have zero power is stopping a sale to whomever JR wishes to sell to in this example.

It is also specifically written into JR's contract that he and he alone has the say in the day to day running of the operations of the club. I don't believe the others can have a vote of no-confidence for wont of a better word and remove him, it's pretty much ironclad. They gave up all rights in how the team is run decades ago.

It's about as good of a deal as you can possibly get in this situation. I have heard in the past some of the minority owners and in fact JR's wife has wanted him to sell in the past but he refused to do so.

The investors are limited partners with no vote. It was set up that way for a reason. MLBTR analysis calling BS on Sox mgt claims about the bidding and their limitations. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Glad they spent two years planning for this pursuit!  Like what the fuck did they think they could get him for?

It seems everyone in the baseball world knew these guys were going for 300+ except the White Sox. Embarrassing. We need to start wearing paper bags over our heads at games.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

4 minutes ago, Sarava said:

It seems everyone in the baseball world knew these guys were going for 300+ except the White Sox. Embarrassing. We need to start wearing paper bags over our heads at games.

Which is the worst part.  They actually thought $250M would be enough and were so confident of that they hyped up these pursuits all offseason.  Either they’re completely incompetent and didn’t understand what their market values would be or they’re so arrogant that they thought they could get these guys to play for the White Sox a big discount.  I don’t even know which one is worse, but it’s beyond embarrassing.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

So the White Sox didn’t even bid on Harper according to KW. Asking price way out of their range.

He gets $330 mill and Kenny the other day is bragging about how their offer was better than the Padres offer for Machado since it could be even more than the $300 mill Machado ended up getting? Does that make any sense? Lol

Edited by soxfan2014

6 hours ago, Blackout Friday said:

Pick a team. 

Very close to going all in on the Brewers.  Nice stadium, hate the Cubs, like to drink beer and they actually acquire talent and spend money in the off season.  They have given away several contracts bigger than the largest contract the White Sox ever have.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, LittleHurt05 said:

Very close to going all in on the Brewers.  Nice stadium, hate the Cubs, like to drink beer and they actually acquire talent and spend money in the off season.  They have given away several contracts bigger than the largest contract the White Sox ever have.

Ha I've thought the same. Just go hardcore Brewers fan for a year. If anything, it'll be a great troll job on my Cubs fan friends.

8 minutes ago, LittleHurt05 said:

The Durham Bulls have given out bigger contracts than the White Sox. It's unreal how much this off-season has made me detest our ownership and management.

They hoarded money these last few years and decided to stuff it in their pocket instead of spending it as they promised. Jerks.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

So the White Sox didn’t even bid on Harper according to KW. Asking price way out of their range.

Yeah between the comment from kw and the Verducci article that mentioned like 10 teams but not the white Sox it’s hard to believe there was any behind the scenes action.

The biggest piece of BS in this is his line about not being able to re-sign the core because they'd lose financial flexibility (assuming there is a core, which is an unknown at this point) and he's said it twice now.

Let me get this straight: committing $30M of your annual payroll to Manny or $25M of your payroll to Bryce somehow ties your hands in constructing a roster more than committing the $31.25M per year you offered?  Silly me. 

The biggest BS is the part where we're not supposed to notice that all this talk about $50MM is spread out over 8-10 years. We're talking about $5-6MM/yr in future dollars.  WTF is 6MM going to buy you in 10 years? This is so disingenuous.

Edited by skooch

10 minutes ago, skooch said:

The biggest BS is the part where we're not supposed to notice that all this talk about $50MM is spread out over 8-10 years. We're talking about $5-6MM/yr in future dollars.  WTF is 6MM going to buy you in 10 years? This is so disingenuous.

The MLBTr story on KW's comments even mentioned that our core is controllable and won't even be expensive for a while. It's all bs.

And regarding your comment, they didn't even need to spread it out over the life of the deal. Just add 2 years, $25mill per year at the end of the deal and the Sox would have likely been fine.

Edited by soxfan2014