KW: "It's a shame" the Sox are being portrayed as cheap

Jose Abreu

6 minutes ago, GermanSoxFan said:

Gotta admit, I was kinda mad at Machado out of pure tribalism, but after reading these quotes I don't blame him one bit and hope he does well in San Diego.

A team that tries to emotionally blackmail you by acquiring your friends and family just because they hope that they will get a discount is just disgusting.

And then they have the audacity to call you unambitious because you wouldn't agree to what is essentially a team option.

Get some competent front office guys from the A's or the Rays who know how to operate on a budget. And then with new ownership hopefully we can make some splashes here and there. That is the best case scenario for the futture of the White Sox.

Or raid the offices of the Indians and Twins (scouts from back when Terry Ryan was running things well in the 2002-2010 period).

4 minutes ago, GermanSoxFan said:

Don't worry they'll present some scout or coach as the scapegoat.

Countdown until Rick Renteria is fired, a second time by a Chicago team...

What would be especially hilarious would be if Vizquel or McEwing or Justin Jirschele refused to take over in-season, but that of course means we'd be stuck with irascible Don Cooper, which would mean even more fanbase insults.

Steverson getting fired will just make everyone laugh collectively.

7 minutes ago, Lillian said:

And, so what will their excuse be, if and when they actually do develop some of the talent, as they approach arbitration and free agency. Maybe they'll claim that they can't spend the money to extend them, because they have to allocate the funds toward "next year's big Super Star free agent". When a loyal fan feels this much disdain for their favorite team's management, it's a very sad situation. Again, someone needs to be held accountable for this mess.

I’m sure Ricky will be made accountable. 

To be clear talking about Renteria

30 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

None of those are currently clearly worse than us and you'd get a debate where to put each of them in a list of the worst. Putting us somewhere within them is fair. 

I also note one team is missing and think you need to run sprints as punishment for forgetting them.

For all their many, many faults GarPax are still good at draft. They've got another high draft pick coming up and they've got 4 non-shit players.

They're in a tier just above the rest of those teams. But not by much.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Quin said:

For all their many, many faults GarPax are still good at draft. They've got another high draft pick coming up and they've got 4 non-shit players.

They're in a tier just above the rest of those teams. But not by much.

They also just killed the Porter trade. 

1 minute ago, shipps said:

When I don’t spend a dime on this team it will be a shame Kenny. Because me and many others would have been willing to spend a very nice amount if you just would have done the right thing. 

It's almost hilarious to think of how we kept hearing reports about how Jerry wanted to make a big splash to help put butts in the seats.  The exact opposite has taken place.

Anyone who could throw out the these quotes is an imbecile.

“People are lost on the fact that on a yearly basis our offer was more than San Diego’s. The average annual value was 31 [million] and change. So it was about years guaranteed. So there is an argument that could be made that our offer was the better of the two. It certainly had more upside for him. All he had to do was basically stay healthy.’’

“I believe we got in the room with Manny Machado and Bryce Harper and if we were able to afford, they absolutely wanted to come here,’’ he said. “That was expressed to us. That’s all I can go by.’’

1 minute ago, shipps said:

When I don’t spend a dime on this team it will be a shame Kenny. Because me and many others would have been willing to spend a very nice amount if you just would have done the right thing. 

Yeah, the Padres sold $1MM worth of tickets in like 2 days. I wonder why.

17 minutes ago, Harper2Sox said:

I like how Kenny still thinks the chance at making more money is a better contract offer than one with more guaranteed money.  The guy is an egomaniac as well — he really clicked with Harper?  Yeah, I’m sure.

I also like how Kenny admits Harper was out of the Sox range, yet Hahn kept spewing on and on all offseason about how he is not limited financially.  Two clowns who aren’t even on the same page as to what they say to the media.

Hahn, go work for a law firm.  Kenny, go to any other team and draft all the football players you want that suck at baseball.  Please leave my favorite team, both of you clowns.

Amen. Preach brother, preach. By the way, do something about that user name of yours. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Harper2Sox said:

I like how Kenny still thinks the chance at making more money is a better contract offer than one with more guaranteed money.  The guy is an egomaniac as well — he really clicked with Harper?  Yeah, I’m sure.

I also like how Kenny admits Harper was out of the Sox range, yet Hahn kept spewing on and on all offseason about how he is not limited financially.  Two clowns who aren’t even on the same page as to what they say to the media.

Hahn, go work for a law firm.  Kenny, go to any other team and draft all the football players you want that suck at baseball.  Please leave my favorite team, both of you clowns.

Perhaps they should structure KWs contract as such. 45k a year, with the possibility of it going up to 5 million if he can win 90 games. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

42 minutes ago, Whitesox27 said:

Attendance wasn't good last season, but I think it's going to be worse this year. Significantly worse. This debacle is the final straw for a lot of people.

I just went and tallied up how many Sox games I've been to since 2000. Over 400 for this sucker.

I'm in for one this year. Anger is gonna turn into apathy for many of us. 

9 minutes ago, Harper2Sox said:

“People are lost on the fact that on a yearly basis our offer was more than San Diego’s. The average annual value was 31 [million] and change. So it was about years guaranteed. So there is an argument that could be made that our offer was the better of the two. It certainly had more upside for him. All he had to do was basically stay healthy.’’

“I believe we got in the room with Manny Machado and Bryce Harper and if we were able to afford, they absolutely wanted to come here,’’ he said. “That was expressed to us. That’s all I can go by.’’

And the aging curves for ballplayers in the non-steroid era? 

KW must believe he's still in 1998 and McGwire/Sosa are batting it out for the home run title in the late days of August.

7 minutes ago, Harper2Sox said:

Let's give him a participation trophy.  Seems like all he wanted in the first place.  And if he brings up the AAV thing again I'm gonna kill him.

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, bmags said:

Perhaps they should structure KWs contract as such. 45k a year, with the possibility of it going up to 5 million if he can win 90 games. 

Or if we finish in 4th or 5th place in 2019/20, he really needs to go to Toronto.

Of course, they probably wouldn't take him anymore and that would be a bit of a prize, all things considered.

8 minutes ago, bschmaranz said:

Let's give him a participation trophy.  Seems like all he wanted in the first place.  And if he brings up the AAV thing again I'm gonna kill him.

Send Alita: Battle Angel after him...the "Hunter/Warriors"

Somehow it's more fun to be joking about this than threatening someone that gets the Secret Service out doing an investigation, but hopefully the rhetoric will cool down in a minute.

That said, if KW had to get personal bodyguards after all this...and it came out in the media...it would ALMOST be worth it.

But we're supposed to be better than that as a fanbase, right?  Or did JW and KW lose that right/privilege with their actions/non-actions in the last 2-3 weeks???

Edited by caulfield12
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1