There is no hope for the Chicago White Sox (the thread?)

KiwiSox

I implore you all to make an honest appraisal of the current 25-man roster and minor leagues. It is terrible. The Sox have one piece of bonafide elite talent to show for trading away hall of fame pitcher, another elite lefty on a wildly team friendly deal and a good outfielder on cheap contract plus five years of high draft picks and years of massive payroll flexibility. They traded away the best prospect in baseball for nothing.

Once Eloy comes up they will have maybe a middle-third system, but really more realistically its bottom third. No elite talent, all their most intriguing guys never stay healthy and the pitching situation is almost impossibly dire. They havent hit on a draft pick yet, despite routinely picking in the top ten.

They have nobody on the major league squad worth a damn.

They have one player in the minors worth a damn.

They cant sign free agents.

They cant draft.

They have been fleeced in all but one trade they have made.

There is absolutely no hope for this franchise.

• Thanks 1
  • Love 1

29 minutes ago, KiwiSox said:

I implore you all to make an honest appraisal of the current 25-man roster and minor leagues. It is terrible. The Sox have one piece of bonafide elite talent to show for trading away hall of fame pitcher, another elite lefty on a wildly team friendly deal and a good outfielder on cheap contract plus five years of high draft picks and years of massive payroll flexibility. They traded away the best prospect in baseball for nothing.

Once Eloy comes up they will have maybe a middle-third system, but really more realistically its bottom third. No elite talent, all their most intriguing guys never stay healthy and the pitching situation is almost impossibly dire. They havent hit on a draft pick yet, despite routinely picking in the top ten.

They cant draft.

Did you just watch Armageddon, Deep Impact or 2012, lol?

They have at least five potential elite talents, STILL.

1) Jimenez

2) Moncada

3) Cease

4) Kopech

5) Robert

And Madrigal's going to be the closest thing we've had to Nellie Fox since the 1960's...

Edited by caulfield12
  • Haha 3

13 minutes ago, KiwiSox said:

Moncada cannot hit the baseball.

I'll say moncada hits 260 with a 360 obp and an ops of 820 this year. Moncada is about as talented as it gets despite his one plane swing last year. He understands how to control the zone and he has great power and speed. He doesnt need to have elite bat control to be a 4+ WAR player in the big leagues.

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Did you just watch Armageddon, Deep Impact or 2012, lol?

They have at least five potential elite talents, STILL.

1) Jimenez

2) Moncada

3) Cease

4) Kopech

5) Robert

And Madrigal's going to be the closest thing we've had to Nellie Fox since the 1960's...

The players you just mentioned are the teams  only hope. If they produce this nightmare can turnaround. If they don't come thru the team is in bad shape.

Of course there is still hope. But it's hope in spite of the organization, not because of it.

There remains a ton of talent in this organization at a number of levels. They are not handled properly. They do not receive quality instruction from the organization, the organization's promotion schedules are aggressive and haphazard, and their behavior regarding service time is inconsistent. However, there are lots of other places where guys can go to receive coaching, and the rewards of finding better coaches can be huge - one talented player fixes things and it could be worth $100 million to them.

There will be no help coming from outside the organization. The organization will do things like move players around to different positions that will make it harder for the players to develop. The free agent acquisitions will create logjams that make it harder for players to succeed. But with enough talent, maybe that still wins out in a couple years. 

• Like 3

On what planet are Luis Robert or Yoan Moncada elite? One never plays and the other can't hit.

It's cool to be fans and all but this is a little delusional. It's like saying your 1999 Ford Taurus is really worth $100k instead of $500.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Love 1

3 minutes ago, KiwiSox said:

On what planet are Luis Robert or Yoan Moncada elite? One never plays and the other can't hit.

It's cool to be fans and all but this is a little delusional. It's like saying your 1999 Ford Taurus is really worth $100k instead of $500.

Mike Trout was only worth 0.7 fWAR his first cup of tea in the big leagues, OPS of 671.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, KiwiSox said:

They cant draft.

Well it was nice meeting you, hope the rest of things go well for you.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, mqr said:

Moncada was more highly regarded that Eloy ever has been, what, 12 months ago?

I'd say 18-24, 12 months ago he had graduated off most lists due to at bats and service time, and his AAA performance in 2017 didn't wow anyone outside the White Sox org.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, KiwiSox said:

They cant draft.

You could absolutely fault them for not signing either Harper or Machado, and I get that fans have every right to be upset for them not willing to spending reasonable amount for a big time free agent, I feel the same about this whole process. But the rest of your posts are just doom and gloom hot takes, if not overreactions. Time will tell what we have with the rest of this farm. If you do not have any hope of what we have in the farm and plus a top 3 pick coming up, then why bother even following this team or wasting time on a forum that won't change the team's outlook.

I did a 2020 big board. It's not that dire, there is easily a way out.

But you need the front office to execute on some things really well, and thats why it sucks for them to show off how they aren't great at executing things.

1 minute ago, bmags said:

I did a 2020 big board. It's not that dire, there is easily a way out.

But you need the front office to execute on some things really well, and thats why it sucks for them to show off how they aren't great at executing things.

4 months ago I had zero expectations that Manny or Harper would ever in a million years come here to play, I still felt pretty good about where the Sox sat. Those expectations changed. 

I still think there's enough talent to capitalize on the Indians window closing but I now feel uneasy, not because of the players in the system, but the absolute boobery put on display these last few weeks. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, mqr said:

4 months ago I had zero expectations that Manny or Harper would ever in a million years come here to play, I still felt pretty good about where the Sox sat. Those expectations changed. 

I still think there's enough talent to capitalize on the Indians window closing but I now feel uneasy, not because of the players in the system, but the absolute boobery put on display these last few weeks. 

Right, there's still enough talent. But it requires a lot of good fortune. There is not a "critical mass".

There is room for optimism, but I don't think anyone truly knows when the team will turn things around or how good they will really be. We need to see prospects get some major league playing time before making any real judgements.  I am hopeful but skeptical at the same time. I don't see any point in getting manic depressive, yet I have doubts, and I think plenty of fans should have doubts.

• Like 1