Place the blame where you feel it belongs

caulfield12

Who do you blame for the Sox missing on Machado/Harper?  

87 members have voted

1. 1. Most responsible, in your opinion...

• Jerry Reinsdorf
    • Rick Hahn
    • Kenny Williams
    • All three Sox execs equally
    • Hahn and JR equally
    • Media/Twitter/false sauces/fake news
    • The evil/greedy agents
    • White Sox fans (can’t spend $1 if you only have 50 cents)
    • The players themselves...along with Jay/Alonso/wives
    • A.J. Preller/Gabe Kapler + Fowler/Middleton

https://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/ct-spt-white-sox-bryce-harper-manny-machado-20190228-story.html

No Harper or Machado, But Lots of Bold Talk in White Sox Camp

They’re not quite young enough to revive the 2000 season’s “The Kids Can Play” campaign and not nearly talented enough to replicate the “Winning Ugly” team of 1983. They used “Ricky’s Boys Don’t Quit” last year only to go 3-11 in their last 14 games to finish with 100 losses.

So what should the new slogan be? If it were my call, I’d go with Tim Anderson’s motto: “Either ride with us or get run over.”

Anderson made the comment after the Sox lost out in the Machado sweepstakes, basically saying the Sox are good enough to win with what’s in their clubhouse.

“I feel like I made a bold statement about that,” Anderson said Thursday before homering and driving in two runs in a Cactus League game against the Mariners. “It’s out there, man. I said what I had to say, and we’re going to put that in the past and keep going forward.”

The TV cameras are gone. Executive vice president Ken Williams is tooling around in his golf cart looking busy. Manager Rick Renteria is smiling while being evasive about pitching plans. And we’re still waiting for star pitching prospect Dylan Cease to throw in a game somewhere … anywhere.

2 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

If it's not Rick Hahn's fault and this S***show is going around him and they won't let him fix it, then it's long past time for him to resign.

This whole idea of choosing Hahn as “the good guy in the white hat you’d drink a beer with” and KW as the villain/antagonist and primary one responsible for everything that goes wrong or bad around the Sox, it desperately needs to move on to greener pastures.

1 minute ago, TaylorStSox said:

You post hundreds of times a day. How can anyone avoid you? 

Well, that’s very simple.  There is a block/ignore function.

And I was hardly posting the second half of the season, in game threads and into the offseason...not until the last couple of months, and, more specifically, the last 11 days.

Reinsdorf of course. If there is one thing that has remained consistent it's that the Sox don't offer enough to get big name free agents. It was the same whether it was Williams or Hahn as the GM.

I was trying to find out just how many +$70M contracts have been signed in baseball history but I gave up when I couldn't find an up to date list.

I did find that 57 of the top 100 contracts of all time were baseball players and the lowest one from that group was Ken Griffey Jr. at $116.5M, and he's been retired for 10 years.

I'll just guesstimate that there have been at least 100 contracts in the history of baseball that exceeded Abreu's Sox record of $68M. Might be 200 for all I know. If anyone has a way to find out be my guest.

It's just a shame that guys who have been retired for 10 years had bigger contracts than any Sox player ever has.

Kevin Brown got the 1st $100M contract in baseball history in 1998 . 20 years ago !

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

This whole idea of choosing Hahn as “the good guy in the white hat you’d drink a beer with” and KW as the villain/antagonist and primary one responsible for everything that goes wrong or bad around the Sox, it desperately needs to move on to greener pastures.

Umm not one person has voted  its Kenny's fault alone.

19 minutes ago, fathom said:

Cody Parkey (the Sox double doinked free agency)

With your sarcaustic (a new word) humor in rare mid-season form, you would be a compelling candidate to replace Benetti in the booth around July when his act really starts wearing thin on everyone. 

Also, apparently KW or Rick are posting anonymously at yahoo.com now, at least until the final sentence...”The Sox are just not a attractive destination for big time free agents, they will always play second fiddle to the Cubs in Chicago. They are better off without either of these two taking up the majority of their payroll. They should have set their sites on free agents the next tier down from these two and signed multiple players to shorter contracts.Then they would still have the money to extend contracts of their young talent when the time is right. The American Central is prime for the taking, unfortunately this year’s plan has set the Sox back another year.”

Edited by caulfield12

Read and comprehend.

1 hour ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Reinsdorf of course. If there is one thing that has remained consistent it's that the Sox don't offer enough to get big name free agents. It was the same whether it was Williams or Hahn as the GM.

I was trying to find out just how many +$70M contracts have been signed in baseball history but I gave up when I couldn't find an up to date list.

I did find that 57 of the top 100 contracts of all time were baseball players and the lowest one from that group was Ken Griffey Jr. at $116.5M, and he's been retired for 10 years.

I'll just guesstimate that there have been at least 100 contracts in the history of baseball that exceeded Abreu's Sox record of $68M. Might be 200 for all I know. If anyone has a way to find out be my guest.

It's just a shame that guys who have been retired for 10 years had bigger contracts than any Sox player ever has.

Kevin Brown got the 1st $100M contract in baseball history in 1998 . 20 years ago !

40 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

More research shows 90 players who have received contracts of at least $90M still not close to Abreu's $68M.

5 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Huh?

10 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Gotcha, thank you.

I added a link to the 90 players who received $90M+ contracts .That still leaves players out who have received contracts between $68M and $89M. Might be another 25 of them. I just can't find it anywhere.

https://legacy.baseballprospectus.com/compensation/cots/league-info/highest-paid-players/