Guess the Opening Day 25 Man

ChiSox59

8 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

You think Sox let Leury go? 

They could keep Leury and expose Rondon to waivers in this scenario I suppose. Engel probably makes the team too. Engel isn't better than Brandon Guyer though so I can't justify putting him over Guyer. 

Catcher: Castillo/McCann

1B: Abreu 

2B: Yolmer

SS: Anderson/Rondon

3B: Moncada

OF: Palka/Engel/Jay/Leury

DH: Alonso

Rotation: Rodon, Lopez, Giolito, Nova, Banuelos 

Bullpen: Colome, Herrera, Jones, Fry, Vieira, Hamilton, Fulmer, Covey

Eloy up after 2 weeks and Leury released 

Just now, Moncada said:

Catcher: Castillo/McCann

1B: Abreu 

2B: Yolmer

SS: Anderson/Rondon

3B: Moncada

OF: Palka/Engel/Jay/Leury

DH: Alonso

Rotation: Rodon, Lopez, Giolito, Nova, Banuelos 

Bullpen: Colome, Herrera, Jones, Fry, Vieira, Hamilton, Fulmer, Covey

Eloy up after 2 weeks and Leury released 

He'll probably end up on the IL.

Edited by soxfan2014

Leury is not great by any stretch, but his positional flexibility has value.

To release Leury while keeping Jay on the roster would be another mistake, no matter how insignificant everyone perceives it to be.

I think a team would pick up Leury immediately and put him on the 25, can't say the same for Jay.

I'd like to see Guyer platoon with Palka in the outfield, and I want Engel in CF, especially after Eloy gets called up. The outfield is going to be defensively challenged, with Eloy and Palka, at the corners. Adam's Gold Glove caliber defense in center would help.

The other guy who really should be platooned is Alonso. He is pretty bad vs. LH pitching. I don't know who would platoon with him, but on days when Abreu is at first, with an opposing southpaw, on the mound, Alonso should sit. Rondon really hasn't hit lefties very well, so I'm not sure that he is a good candidate for a bench spot. Maybe Leury still fits, but roster space would be getting pretty scarce. It looks like Jay could be the odd man out, on the roster. He's not an exceptionally good defensive outfielder, any more. I hope that they get rid of him, and soon.

Edited by Lillian

Catcher:  Castillo, McCann

1b:  Abreu

2b: Yolmer Sanchez

ss: Anderson

3b: Moncada

lf: Palka

cf: Engel

rf: Jay

dh: Alonso

Rotation: *Rodon, Lopez, Giolito, Nova, Santana

Bullpen: Herrera, Colome, Jones, *Fry, *Banuelos, Minaya, Hamilton, Vieira 

Engel goes down for Eloy, Jay and Leury keep center warm for the year.  Covey starts in the minors.

On 3/1/2019 at 12:48 PM, Whitesox27 said:

100% agreed. Yolmer is fine for what he is but he should be a utility guy from here on out.

A bunch of us agree give Rondon some PT please. 

• Like 1

Some fans were not satisfied with Avisail Garcia's defense in RF.   OK, but Palka in the OF is a complete joke.  That makes his value on the 25 man roster questionable. If the Sox play him in the outfield he could run over a Centerfielder or an infielder and really cause problems.  Recall Schwarber's outfield collision a couple years ago, and he wasn't near as heavy as Palka.    I'm OK with Palka as LH DH ....if there is room on the roster for a player in that limited role.....or on my 16" softball team.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, tray said:

Some fans were not satisfied with Avisail Garcia's defense in RF.   OK, but Palka in the OF is a complete joke.  That makes his value on the 25 man roster questionable. If the Sox play him in the outfield he could run over a Centerfielder or an infielder and really cause problems.  Recall Schwarber's outfield collision a couple years ago, and he wasn't near as heavy as Palka.    I'm OK with Palka as LH DH ....if there is room on the roster for a player in that limited role.....or on my 16" softball team.

What?

Worst than last year , traded call for  9 million a year alonso,and puts palka in of instead of dh strike 1.  Jon Jay replaces Avi strike 2.  Engel starting CF strike 3.  This team will be historically bad , even if pitching breaks out defense and offense will be the worst you ever see, and the defense will screw the pitching.  Embarrassing.  Eloy is the only bright spot but I expect him to have to make adjustments and likely be average after his call up, and we all know how the Sox butcher adjustments 

If you go off progress

5 hours ago, bryank1202 said:

Worst than last year , traded call for  9 million a year alonso,and puts palka in of instead of dh strike 1.  Jon Jay replaces Avi strike 2.  Engel starting CF strike 3.  This team will be historically bad , even if pitching breaks out defense and offense will be the worst you ever see, and the defense will screw the pitching.  Embarrassing.  Eloy is the only bright spot but I expect him to have to make adjustments and likely be average after his call up, and we all know how the Sox butcher adjustments 

If you go off no progress being made by the young guys Anderson and Moncada and Palka, then yeah will probably be worse. But if these guys at least do league average this year i think they are sitting pretty good, especially for when Eloy comes up. If you look at Jay's history, offensively statistically it really isnt that bad. Just last half of last year was not great.

On 3/2/2019 at 12:47 PM, Lillian said:

I'd like to see Guyer platoon with Palka in the outfield, and I want Engel in CF, especially after Eloy gets called up. The outfield is going to be defensively challenged, with Eloy and Palka, at the corners. Adam's Gold Glove caliber defense in center would help.

The other guy who really should be platooned is Alonso. He is pretty bad vs. LH pitching. I don't know who would platoon with him, but on days when Abreu is at first, with an opposing southpaw, on the mound, Alonso should sit. Rondon really hasn't hit lefties very well, so I'm not sure that he is a good candidate for a bench spot. Maybe Leury still fits, but roster space would be getting pretty scarce. It looks like Jay could be the odd man out, on the roster. He's not an exceptionally good defensive outfielder, any more. I hope that they get rid of him, and soon.

There aren't enough roster spots to do what you're suggesting. Especially with an 8 man bullpen. I would go Eloy in LF, Jay in CF and Palka/Guyer platooning in RF. 

Just now, Jose Abreu said:

Jay actually has a higher OBP against lefties than righties in his career. if anyone needs a platoon partner I think it would be Palka. 

Yeah, it would probably be either Jay or Palka. Maybe even Alonso. Any of the three players could potentially get spelled by Guyer.