Guess the Opening Day 25 Man

ChiSox59

7 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Yeah, it would probably be either Jay or Palka. Maybe even Alonso. Any of the three players could potentially get spelled by Guyer. 

I think Guyer platoons with Palka in LF and Rondon DHs against LHP.  Alonso must have a platoon partner for him to avoid his 2020 salary becoming guaranteed and I really don’t see another option on the roster.

13 hours ago, Kyyle23 said:

Got this notification just now.  Thought of ron 

71FBB1B9-80A7-4822-BC09-236421266CC2.jpeg

He sure is consistent. Consistently awful on defense, consistently underperforms in the early season and until the Sox are out of it, then consistently mashes when there is no pressure. 

14 minutes ago, ron883 said:

He sure is consistent. Consistently awful on defense, consistently underperforms in the early season and until the Sox are out of it, then consistently mashes when there is no pressure. 

I don't know how many times we have to disprove this point of yours. One would think that you'd acknowledge the evidence consistently presented that counters your claim, but you persist, which is why people think you're just trolling. Nonetheless, here we go again: 

Jose Abreu's OPS by month:

March/April: .832

May: .817

June: .852

July: .876

August: .966

September: .866

With the exception of him being better in August, the other figures are all normal statistical variations that would be present given the sample size being used. If an .832 OPS in April and an .817 OPS in May is someone "consistently underperforming' then he's the least of our problems. 

8 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

I don't know how many times we have to disprove this point of yours. One would think that you'd acknowledge the evidence consistently presented that counters your claim, but you persist, which is why people think you're just trolling. Nonetheless, here we go again: 

With the exception of him being better in August, the other figures are all normal statistical variations that would be present given the sample size being used. If an .832 OPS in April and an .817 OPS in May is someone "consistently underperforming' then he's the least of our problems. 

March, April, and May are clearly his worst months... You just proved my point. Combine that with his awful defense and you have a very frustrating player. He would be a solid DH on a team with better offense around him. He shouldn't be at 1st. 

Some of the projections have Frare, Covey and Fulmer making the team, Banuelos, depending on how Santana's health goes (Ervin's first appearance is likely to be this upcoming Friday, March 15th).

For the bullpen, we know that Colome, Herrera, Jones and Fry will definitely be there, and likely two lefties (total).

For the bench, it's looking like Delmonico will be the first "odd man out," especially after the concussion.

Tucker will likely be eliminated in favor of Guyer.

That leaves McCann, Guyer, Rondon and Leury Garcia for now as the final four bench pieces.

Eventually something will have to give when Jimenez comes up (unfortunately, it might be Palka's time, because we already have Alonso and Jay and Leury who will stay at the big league level or be waived/released, in the case of the latter two).

5 hours ago, ron883 said:

March, April, and May are clearly his worst months... You just proved my point. Combine that with his awful defense and you have a very frustrating player. He would be a solid DH on a team with better offense around him. He shouldn't be at 1st. 

So let me get this straight, Ron, you want a player to have a better March (how many games are played in March anyways), April, and May, than June, July, August and Sept?

But if your gripe is Abreu plays better baseball when the Sox are out of playoff picture, then it's not his fault that the Sox are a shitty team and is out of the race by June.

Minaya has been outrighted so that changes some things here. I think Ian Hamilton goes down to start and Ervin Santana begins on the DL. 

1B Jose Abreu

2B Yolmer Sanchez

SS Tim Anderson

3B Yoan Moncada

DH Yonder Alonso

C Welington Castillo

CF Adam Engel

LF Daniel Palka

RF Jon Jay

Bench

INF Jose Rondon

INF/OF Leury Garcia

OF Brandon Guyer

C James McCann

Pitching Staff

Carlos Rodon LHP

Reynaldo Lopez RHP

Lucas Giolito RHP

Ivan Nova RHP

LHP Manny Banuelos

RHP Alex Colome

RHP Kelvin Herrera

RHP Nate Jones

RHP Dylan Covey

RHP Ryan Burr

LHP Jace Fry

LHP Caleb Frare 

Opening Day vs Brad Keller (yes, that Brad Keller):

Jay CF, Anderson SS, Abreu 1B, Alonso DH, Castillo C, Moncada 3B, Palka RF, Sanchez 2B, Garcia LF

Bench- Engel, Rondon, Guyer, McCann

Rotation- Rodon, Nova, Lopez, Giolito

Bullpen until 4/8- Covey, Banuelos, Frare, Burr, Fry, Jones, Herrera, Colome

1 hour ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Minaya has been outrighted so that changes some things here. I think Ian Hamilton goes down to start and Ervin Santana begins on the DL. 

1B Jose Abreu

2B Yolmer Sanchez

SS Tim Anderson

3B Yoan Moncada

DH Yonder Alonso

C Welington Castillo

CF Adam Engel

LF Daniel Palka

RF Jon Jay

Bench

INF Jose Rondon

INF/OF Leury Garcia

OF Brandon Guyer

C James McCann

Pitching Staff

Carlos Rodon LHP

Reynaldo Lopez RHP

Lucas Giolito RHP

Ivan Nova RHP

LHP Manny Banuelos

RHP Alex Colome

RHP Kelvin Herrera

RHP Nate Jones

RHP Dylan Covey

RHP Ryan Burr

LHP Jace Fry

LHP Caleb Frare 

That looks spot-on to me.  The only question at this point IMO is whether Guyer makes the roster or if they go with 8 pitchers.

22 minutes ago, flavum said:

Opening Day vs Brad Keller (yes, that Brad Keller):

Jay CF, Anderson SS, Abreu 1B, Alonso DH, Castillo C, Moncada 3B, Palka RF, Sanchez 2B, Garcia LF

Bench- Engel, Rondon, Guyer, McCann

Rotation- Rodon, Nova, Lopez, Giolito

Bullpen until 4/8- Covey, Banuelos, Frare, Burr, Fry, Jones, Herrera, Colome

Moncada will be batting 2nd against RHP this year.

With the Eloy extension news, I thought I'd take another stab at the roster.

Position Players

1B Jose Abreu

DH Yonder Alonso

2B Yolmer Sanchez 

3B Yoan Moncada

SS Tim Anderson 

C Welington Castillo

LF Eloy Jimenez

CF Jon Jay

RF Daniel Palka

CF Adam Engel 

IF/OF Leury Garcia

IF Jose Rondon

C James McCann

Pitchers

Carlos Rodon

Reynaldo Lopez

Lucas Giolito

Ivan Nova

Manny Banuelos

Dylan Covey

Ryan Burr

Caleb Frare

Nate Jones

Jace Fry

Kelvin Herrera

Alex Colome

I think they go with 13 position players and 12 pitchers to start. Ian Hamilton down to AAA to get ready after setback. Ervin Santana begins the season on the DL. Brandon Guyer and Nick Delmonico are final cuts. Guyer should be on the roster instead of Engel but he won't be because the White Sox have an infatuation with keeping bad baseball players around. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Position Players

1B Jose Abreu

DH Yonder Alonso

2B Yolmer Sanchez 

3B Yoan Moncada

SS Tim Anderson 

C Welington Castillo

LF Eloy Jimenez

CF Jon Jay

RF Daniel Palka

CF Adam Engel 

IF/OF Leury Garcia

IF Jose Rondon

C James McCann

Pitchers

Carlos Rodon

Reynaldo Lopez

Lucas Giolito

Ivan Nova

Manny Banuelos

Dylan Covey

Ryan Burr

Caleb Frare

Nate Jones

Jace Fry

Kelvin Herrera

Alex Colome

I think they go with 13 position players and 12 pitchers to start. Ian Hamilton down to AAA to get ready after setback. Ervin Santana begins the season on the DL. Brandon Guyer and Nick Delmonico are final cuts. Guyer should be on the roster instead of Engel but he won't be because the White Sox have an infatuation with keeping bad baseball players around. 

He signed a minor league deal. He doesn't have to go on the DL since he's not on the roster.

Edited by soxfan2014

On 3/11/2019 at 1:13 PM, Jose Abreu said:

August, September and May are far and away his three best months by combined three year splits.  April around 750, June/July, around 790.   Many Latin American players typically start off slower in cold weather outdoor cities, like Alexei as well.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/player/splits/_/id/33095/type/batting3

Edited by caulfield12

46 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Position Players

1B Jose Abreu

DH Yonder Alonso

2B Yolmer Sanchez 

3B Yoan Moncada

SS Tim Anderson 

C Welington Castillo

LF Eloy Jimenez

CF Jon Jay

RF Daniel Palka

CF Adam Engel 

IF/OF Leury Garcia

IF Jose Rondon

C James McCann

Pitchers

Carlos Rodon

Reynaldo Lopez

Lucas Giolito

Ivan Nova

Manny Banuelos

Dylan Covey

Ryan Burr

Caleb Frare

Nate Jones

Jace Fry

Kelvin Herrera

Alex Colome

If I had to guess, this would be the roster I would bet on for Opening Day...which is ONE WEEK AWAY!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1