Guess the Opening Day 25 Man

ChiSox59

11 minutes ago, flavum said:

Supposed to be 70 in KC next Thursday. Can we get Davidson back before then?

Looking at his Spring Training stats, we should be able to sign him within 5 days.

Edit: just read that he was sent to minor league camp yesterday.

Edited by soxfan2014

2 hours ago, Scoots said:

If I had to guess, this would be the roster I would bet on for Opening Day...which is ONE WEEK AWAY!!!

Did not realize Herrera recovering from fractured foot is not planning on Opening Day. 

40 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Herrera’s in the game right now...96 mph.

I could be wrong but he said he is not full strength. The Slum Times says he may be ready but it is not really clear. No reason to rush him if he will be pitching in the World Series later. 

6 hours ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

With the Eloy extension news, I thought I'd take another stab at the roster.

Position Players

1B Jose Abreu

DH Yonder Alonso

2B Yolmer Sanchez 

3B Yoan Moncada

SS Tim Anderson 

C Welington Castillo

LF Eloy Jimenez

CF Jon Jay

RF Daniel Palka

CF Adam Engel 

IF/OF Leury Garcia

IF Jose Rondon

C James McCann

Pitchers

Carlos Rodon

Reynaldo Lopez

Lucas Giolito

Ivan Nova

Manny Banuelos

Dylan Covey

Ryan Burr

Caleb Frare

Nate Jones

Jace Fry

Kelvin Herrera

Alex Colome

I think they go with 13 position players and 12 pitchers to start. Ian Hamilton down to AAA to get ready after setback. Ervin Santana begins the season on the DL. Brandon Guyer and Nick Delmonico are final cuts. Guyer should be on the roster instead of Engel but he won't be because the White Sox have an infatuation with keeping bad baseball players around. 

This looks right to me. I like Leury as the back up infielder and Jay as the back up outfielder, who would platoon with Palka. That would give them a left handed bat, who hits lefties. Otherwise, you would have the entire lineup, with the exception of Alonso, hitting from the right side, vs southpaws. It's advantageous to give the pitcher the challenge, of having to face a couple of guys, hitting from the other side of the plate. 

I think that Santana may win the 5TH starter slot, which would otherwise go to Covey, or Banuelos.  If they want to carry 13 pitchers, then Santana takes Rondon's roster spot and you go with just 12 position players. Given Leury's ability to switch hit and play all over the field, would afford them that luxury, if they want the extra arm.

It really comes down to Guyer vs. Rondon at this point.

While it would be NICE to have Guyer on a playoff contending team as part of a platoon, he's more one of those Steve Pearce dudes who belong on a better team in a limited role, not getting regular at-bats and taking them from a youngster.

Despite the defensive issues, they better not block Palka behind Jay in RF...but you have a feeling Renteria will pull an Ozzie and regularly go with the veteran.

Other than NYY, the schedule's pretty soft in the first month...seems they're pulling out all the stops (including Jimenez) not to get buried in the standings by May 15th.

Edited by caulfield12

I'm wondering if they could give Leury a few more at bats, letting him play 2ND, in place of Yolmer, at least a couple of times a week. He has had a terrific Spring. Problem is that they are both switch hitters, who have better results, hitting left handed. Leury has a much better career average, from the right side, than Sanchez, but with very little power.

3 minutes ago, Lillian said:

I'm wondering if they could give Leury a few more at bats, letting him play 2ND, in place of Yolmer, at least a couple of times a week. He has had a terrific Spring. Problem is that they are both switch hitters, who have better results, hitting left handed. Leury has a much better career average, from the right side, than Sanchez, but with very little power.

I really wish they'd let Rondon get the majority of AB's at 2B. We already know what Leury and Yolmer provide the Sox.

Palka cannot be your regular starting RFer.   I would start Leury in RF and Jay in CF.  Not ideal, but adequate place holders for Luis Robert, Basabe, etc.

Palka should learn how to play 1B  in order to increase his trade value.   Maybe the best place for him to do that is in Charlotte.

Jimenez is back, so we got:

Jay CF, Moncada 3B, Abreu 1B, Alonso DH, Jimenez LF, Palka RF, Anderson SS, Castillo C, Sanchez 2B (or something like that)

Engel OF, Garcia UTL, Rondon IF, McCann C

Rodon, Lopez, Giolito, Nova (Nova 4th so he's pitching in Cleveland on OD there)

Frare, Fry, Banuelos on the left

Covey, Burr, Jones, Herrera, Colome on the right

Cuts to come:

Santana stays in AZ, Thompson, Hamilton, Ruiz, Marshall, Gonzalez , Goins, Mendick, Skole, Delmonico, Tucker

Edited by flavum

On 3/23/2019 at 1:29 PM, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Charlotte bullpen will be awesome. Burdi/Hamilton/Ruiz/Thompson/Fulmer/Vieira/Bummer in some fashion. 

Is Burdi going to be healthy to start the year?  Or start on AAA IL? 

With the news that Jay is likely to start on the IL, Rondon on the roster, Santana to make his debut on 4/10, and the majority (all?) of the bullpen set, who is the 25th man?

Lineup:

Leury CF, Moncada 3B, Abreu 1B, Alonso DH, Jimenez LF, Palka RF, Anderson SS, Castillo C, Sanchez 2B

Bench:

Engel OF, Rondon IF/OF, McCann C

Rotation:

Rodon, Lopez, Giolito, Nova 

Pen:

Colome, Herrera, Jones, Frare, Fry, Banuelos, Burr, Covey

That is 24.  Who is the final roster spot to start the season? We could use another infielder, so will Mendick be added to the 40 man?  Maybe something more boring like Goins?