To anyone "qutting being a Sox fan"

Nokona

Everyone’s level of fandom is different, and everyone has a breaking point. It might take a move and a name change for some. It might take a personal bad experience for others, or it might be constant failure. People losing interest is not new. It has been happening for over a decade. If things continue down this path, more will jump off. 

I will say, considering what Machado and Harper were expected to get, and what they received, and how the Sox were planning this for 2 years and came up $50 million short on Machado, after JR apparently “stepped up”, and didn’t even bid on Harper, their commitment to winning is being questioned for the first time by me. I am still a fan for sure. Probably less engaged than I have been since I became a fan at 4 years old,  But supporting this group running the team, now makes me pause. 

A good team will probably change all that. But maybe not. Maybe not paying attention to every pitch every season and not really too upset if they lose 5 in a row is actually a really good thing. 

If they ever become successful again, many will return. But it isn’t crazy to me to think for that to happen, the house needs to be cleaned. Their 2 yearold plan to add a premium free agent on a huge discount proved that to me.

Edited by Dick Allen
  • Like 4
  • Love 1

1 minute ago, Harper2Sox said:

It couldn’t be much worse than it already is but just imagine if Hahn successfully traded for Machado last offseason and failed to resign him.

It would have been worse, but it also shows that they knew selling the White Sox rebuild to these premium free agents was going to be tough. No doubt, the money side of the deal with Machado was an epic fail, but all things equal, Machado and Harper had no interest playing for the White Sox.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, flavum said:

It would have been worse, but it also shows that they knew selling the White Sox rebuild to these premium free agents was going to be tough. No doubt, the money side of the deal with Machado was an epic fail, but all things equal, Machado and Harper had no interest playing for the White Sox.

I don’t agree at all.  Do you think Machado and Harper loved San Diego and Philly?  They took the best offers, period.  They likely would have both been White Sox for the same offers that they signed for.  In fact, Boras came back to the Sox to see if they wanted to match Harper’s offer and the Sox said no.

Edited by Harper2Sox

41 minutes ago, JoshPR said:

I did.... Maybe I should have said another year of benetti...

Funny I was late-nite surfing the tube and watching Indians-Dodgers replay on the network. Don't even know their names but the two Tribe announcers were 100x better than anyone we have. 

4 minutes ago, Harper2Sox said:

I don’t agree at all.  Do you think Machado and Harper loved San Diego and Philly?  They took the best offers, period.  They likely would have both been White Sox for the same offers that they signed for.  In fact, Boras came back to the Sox to see if they wanted to match Harper’s offer and the Sox said no.

Which is usually how it works out.The problem is, the Sox think they are a destination players would take discounts to play for. In the real world, considering opportunity and money are the same, not even less pay, how many players would list the Sox in their top 15 destinations? I would think top 5 would be almost zero.

• Love 1

9 minutes ago, Harper2Sox said:

I probably should have said "in a vacuum" they don't want to be here. Machado, yes, I think he could have been convinced to come here--that was the Sox failure.  Harper? I'm not upset at all he's in Philadelphia considering the length of the contract.

20 minutes ago, flavum said:

I probably should have said "in a vacuum" they don't want to be here. Machado, yes, I think he could have been convinced to come here--that was the Sox failure.  Harper? I'm not upset at all he's in Philadelphia considering the length of the contract.

I thought that about Harper initially too but most of us were cool with them doing 330/10.  3 free years dude!  😬

Edited by bschmaranz

5 minutes ago, bschmaranz said:

I thought that about Harper initially too but most of us were cool with them doing 330/10.  3 free years dude!  😬

Point taken, but they could have gone back-and-forth with offers, and he still would have been in Philly. They weren't going to lose, in my opinion.

15 hours ago, Nokona said:

You're an embarrassment.  This is the most little dicked thing I've ever heard.

The White Sox are more important to this city than Manny Machado or Jerry Reinsdorf.   If you look in your heart and feel no affection for what being a Sox fan in this city means, then we're better off without you.  

I’m a fan. Period. End of story... can’t change what you are.

That said, I’m making a conscious decision to invest far less of my time and resources into this team until they display integrity.

Ball is in your court.

• Like 4

14 hours ago, turnin' two said:

When I saw that quote from Middleton about signing Harper so they wouldn't let the fans down, I could honestly never imagine the Sox feeling that way.  And that sucks.  The team seems apathetic to the fans.

Yep, that's why this is so insulting and I'm so pissed.  (and honestly, I'm surprised, but the feeling is not going away)

- You see that quote from the Phillies front office : Don't want to let the fans down.  (And if you want to hear more, read the Phils press release this morning and you'll get a sense for how much they understand the marketing benefit of having Bryce.  Heck they sold 100,000 tickets in the first 24 hours after they signed him.  How many milliions of dollars is that?)

- The Giants front office looked at Harper as solving a problem with ticket sales and fan interest: "panic and desperation about season-ticket sales and fan interest has become the overriding factor"  https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/columnist/bob-nightengale/2019/02/28/bryce-harper-free-agent-giants-dodgers-phillies/3014206002/

- White Sox front office: can't spend a dollar if we only have fifty cents.  Hey, but they're not cheap.  They don't seem to care either.

Other organizations realize they need to put a product on the field to attract the fans (i.e., don't worry about not spending fifty cents, spend the dollar you might not have and you'll get three back) while the Sox want the fans to pay up first.  Most org's seem to have a "build it and they will come" philosophy.  Sox : "we might build it IF they come first".  I've been a Sox fan for over 40 years.  I have bled black and white.  I'm not going to go root for the Cubs or anything crazy like that, but I don't know to what extent I can support this ownership anymore.  I just don't know.  

Somehow, some way, they need to get the message.  I'm just not sure they ever will.  I'm sick of this shit.

Edited by RTC
  • Love 2

15 hours ago, Nokona said:

You're an embarrassment.  This is the most little dicked thing I've ever heard.

The White Sox are more important to this city than Manny Machado or Jerry Reinsdorf.   If you look in your heart and feel no affection for what being a Sox fan in this city means, then we're better off without you.  

An embarrassment to what? They don't hand out special privileges or trophies to fans.  This kind of stuff is nonsense.  What is better off without you mean?  Empty seats? It's a sport not a religion.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, HOFHurt35 said:

The part I'm still struggling to get a grasp on is how not signing a $300 million ballplayer because you came in at $250 million was the breaking point of turning in your fan card.  

In my wildest dreams I ever thought the Sox would ever be in the conversation for a $100 million baseball player, let alone one at $250 million. 

Well history shows the Sox never land those players and the only one I remember is Belle and that didn't work out so well. There's plenty of sports teams who get burned in free agency.

2 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Everybody who's done being outraged about Machado/Harper and ready to focus on the team at hand, say "I"

"I" 

It wouldn't have been nearly as bad if Kenny would just STFU. 

And you’re the reason why things will never change Jack.  We’re conditioned to letting this organization do whatever it likes with no accountability.  This isn’t just outrage for many here, but rather us reaching a boiling point and deciding enough is enough.  The moment we relinquish our anger and move on is the moment Jerry, KW, & Hahn win.

• Like 1

I'm still a fan, but it gets harder every season. The organization should have changed things big time back when Ozzie Guillen was talking about fans urinating on statues. He should have been fired immediately, and Williams should have been shown the door as well. But that didn't happen, and before you know it, 2013 came, and the White Sox looked like a little league team.  So, I don't anticipate any other changes, and I have only so much faith in this rebuild. And I have always thought this organization had no understanding of White Sox fans, and my mind hasn't changed about that.

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

And you’re the reason why things will never change Jack.  We’re conditioned to letting this organization do whatever it likes with no accountability.  This isn’t just outrage for many here, but rather us reaching a boiling point and deciding enough is enough.  The moment we relinquish our anger and move on is the moment Jerry, KW, & Hahn win.

It's a game. Ownership and the front office arent who fans pay to watch. 

I'll enjoy the players here while still being upset with ownership. 

I'll move on to baseball because it's a game I enjoy following and watching and I'm not going to let JR ruin the fun and enjoyment I get from the game.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I want them to be held accountable too, They should all have been shitcanned long ago, but I accept the fact that I can't change it. I can only control my reaction to their idiocy. I will not buy gear or pay from my pocket to go to a game this year. Someone else wants to bring me along, that is their choice, but I'm just going to watch on tv this year. Being pissed off for 2 weeks accomplished nothing. This FO and Ownership group deserves to be roasted on a spit, and I don't disagree with that. 

I just fucking love baseball too much. If I want to go to a game, I'll go to St. Louis or Milwaukee this year. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

13 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Exactly. I’m done being a robot and blindly enrichening Reinsdorf with no return. You’re free to do so if you want.

• Love 2

21 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

No accountability for what?  News flash: They are alteady drawing about 15K of actual physical bodies in the stands almost every weeknight.  TV ratings are in the dumps.

We act as if we were Cub Nation or something where with all the years of suckage the fans were always there packing the place.