Last Two Offseasons

Chicago White Sox

9 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Yeah, it was his best year by far but he averaged about 2 WAR over the 5 year period which puts him right there at about a league average player. That's someone who should start. 

I agree as of today Escobar is more valuable, but it doesn't mean that Yolmer can't figure something out. He's only 26 years old. People want to give at bats to young guys but they want to pigeon hole Sanchez's career. Baseball is a funny game... it can click at 14 or it can click at 29. Sanchez is good enough to play and give a chance to under the assumption that if he shows no improvement he's a utility player, but on this team he absolutely deserves the right to play everyday and see what he can figure out.

You’re a finance guy, what do you project Sanchez’s salary to be next year after another 600 AB season?

8 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

So what deal would they sign him to?

Why would Pineda go any longer? No way the guarantee would/could have been much higher, and he'd be better off having a team pay him to rehab, and then get the post-injury pitching year out of the way and then hit the market again.

What value would he add to this team? Can't trade him, and no way he was signing a longer deal because no way any team could/should offer him more guaranteed money than he got.

He would be a potential asset that you could take the risk on to get at a lower price than he would be otherwise. You have no idea what an additional team option year would have cost, and you don’t know that he wouldn’t have signed a long term deal coming off tommy john, that’s absurd confidence in your assumptions.

As it is the Sox have zero interesting trade assets as they paid market value if not more for some average relievers.

3 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

You’re a finance guy, what do you project Sanchez’s salary to be next year after another 600 AB season?

Eh, Yolmer will earn right around 7 million next year assuming nothing crazy happens. 7 million for 2-3 WAR is fine, and I'm not going to not play him and prevent myself from seeing what he can figure out to save a couple million dollars. Even if he supersubs at 400+ at bats, he's getting a bump to 6+.

1 minute ago, bmags said:

He would be a potential asset that you could take the risk on to get at a lower price than he would be otherwise. You have no idea what an additional team option year would have cost, and you don’t know that he wouldn’t have signed a long term deal coming off tommy john, that’s absurd confidence in your assumptions.

As it is the Sox have zero interesting trade assets as they paid market value if not more for some average relievers.

The White Sox would be the dumbest organization in baseball history to give him a long term deal heading into Tommy John surgery when he had already missed 3 entire seasons of his career due to injury. He's not young (he's 30), he had serious shoulder problems that caused him to miss two full years, and now he had Tommy John. He's not in good shape, and when he did pitch his peripherals were always much better than his actual outcomes. 

Just now, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

The White Sox would be the dumbest organization in baseball history to give him a long term deal heading into Tommy John surgery when he had already missed 3 entire seasons of his career due to injury. He's not young (he's 30), he had serious shoulder problems that caused him to miss two full years, and now he had Tommy John. He's not in good shape, and when he did pitch his peripherals were always much better than his actual outcomes

I didn’t say the white Sox should sign him to a long term deal, you said there was no way he would sign a longer deal. 

But a 2 year contract with a team option for the third year? Who knows, don’t even hate it at two, could be a small payoff of ten million. 

Maybe he’s terrible, maybe he’s great, these are risks you can afford when you have open spots on 40 man and decreased budget.

2 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Eh, Yolmer will earn right around 7 million next year assuming nothing crazy happens. 7 million for 2-3 WAR is fine, and I'm not going to not play him and prevent myself from seeing what he can figure out to save a couple million dollars. Even if he supersubs at 400+ at bats, he's getting a bump to 6+.

So after this season we will likely have a 2 win player with two years of control who will make $7M and let’s just say $8M over the next two years.  Does that player have any surplus value in this day and age?  I just don’t understand what we’re doing with the asset.  I saw enough of him in 2018 to think he’s reserve IF.  I’d rather use him in that role while giving him some playing time in the OF to make him more versatile.  I think we have a better chance of creating an attractive trade asset that way than handing him the everyday 2B job and watching his salary slowly creep up.  If it were up to me, I’d rather give Rondon the starting gig because at least he’s controllable and flashed some serious power last year.

3 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

So after this season we will likely have a 2 win player with two years of control who will make $7M and let’s just say $8M over the next two years.  Does that player have any surplus value in this day and age?  I just don’t understand what we’re doing with the asset.  I saw enough of him in 2018 to think he’s reserve IF.  I’d rather use him in that role while giving him some playing time in the OF to make him more versatile.  I think we have a better chance of creating an attractive trade asset that way than handing him the everyday 2B job and watching his salary slowly creep up.  If it were up to me, I’d rather give Rondon the starting gig because at least he’s controllable and flashed some serious power last year.

Barring injury i'll be stunned if this org doesn't have Madrigal starting  in the big leagues early in 2020. That would mean moving Sanchez - I think he's ok as a trade asset, maybe could be better if he gets off to a good start this year.

8 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I just dont see it with rondon. Poor defensively and doesnt walk or make enough contact. I like betting on the guy who can add value in multiple aspects of the game. I think rondon will get plenty of chances to show his worth this year.