3/3 vs Cubs, 2pm

flavum

47 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I'm usually classified in that group but the amount of overt negativity is becoming grating. We're all pissed they failed on Machado. We're all pissed they wouldn't pony up for Harper. Guess what? There's still reason for optimism. Not everything is doom and gloom. You can still find enjoyment out of this baseball season. I was pissed for 2 weekas and now I'm ready to move on. We should just all accept they're not signing FA outside of the bargain bin and move on. 

I think the reason everyone is still harping on missing out is because it doesn’t bode well for the future. It’s fine to be excited and optimistic about the prospects but if it comes time to go out and get guys to supplement the prospects that have excelled they will likely fail time and time again because of their broken views on free agency. Is it possible to not play there and win it all? Of course but they’re doing this the hard way when they have the resources available to make this process easier. It’s just extraordinarily depressing that they may waste all of these guys just like they wasted Sale and Quintana.

12 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

If (maybe) winning 70 games passes as "enjoyment" for you then I admire your definition of the word. Not trying to be sarcastic but when you've had the past 12 years like the Sox have which by and large have been awful, its hard to find enjoyment in the game...maybe in some individual performances, but the object is to win, that's why they keep score and the Sox have been brutally bad at winning.

Doesn't mean I'm going to give up on them before anybody spits that nonsense out, I was born and raised in Chicago, I'm a Sox fan and I'll stay a Sox fan but this season is going to be pretty rough once again and we shouldn't delude ourselves otherwise.

I'm going to choose to find enjoyment in the growth of individual players. Wins and losses haven't mattered to me since they traded Sale et al. If enough individual players improve, the wins will come as well. 

14 minutes ago, Sockin said:

I think the reason everyone is still harping on missing out is because it doesn’t bode well for the future. It’s fine to be excited and optimistic about the prospects but if it comes time to go out and get guys to supplement the prospects that have excelled they will likely fail time and time again because of their broken views on free agency. Is it possible to not play there and win it all? Of course but they’re doing this the hard way when they have the resources available to make this process easier. It’s just extraordinarily depressing that they may waste all of these guys just like they wasted Sale and Quintana.

Yes the Sox suck at signing top of the market guys and shelling out $300M. But surely they will break that Abreu $68M contract record once twice or maybe even 3 times in the next 2 years. I know a lot of angry people don't think it's ever possible considering the owner and his court jesters but they have to know how important that is becoming and the longer they wait the harder it gets. Of course with our luck Jerry dies and Sox sell the team right at the beginning of next off season when payroll commitments are non existent and that will take precedent over signing anyone while everything is in flux.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

"I'm going to choose to find enjoyment in the growth of individual players. Wins and losses haven't mattered to me since they traded Sale et al. If enough individual players improve, the wins will come as well. "

I understand you point and I get it that it is only spring ball and the future will be better, but really, your Pollyanna speeches sound empty and silly. I understand that we need to be patient; but when I go to the park, I want to see the White Sox win. When I turn on the game, I want to see the Sox win. And your disregarding that for "enjoyment in the growth of individual players" is bullshit. You don't even believe that. You're just saying that to further you point about remaining patient. But come on?? This has been a tough, tough spring. And being down 9 to zero to the Cubs after two innings has to be the low point of a very unfulling spring so far. I (and most of us) understand your point. But can't you just close your eyes behind your rose-colored glasses and let us b**** some. Nine to nothing to the Cubs after two innings . . . .

Edited by vilehoopster
bad grammar

18 minutes ago, vilehoopster said:

"I'm going to choose to find enjoyment in the growth of individual players. Wins and losses haven't mattered to me since they traded Sale et al. If enough individual players improve, the wins will come as well. "

I understand you point and I get it that in only spring ball and the future will be better, but really your Pollyanna speeches sound empty and silly. I understand that we were to be patient, but when I go to the park I want to see the White Sox win. When I turn on the game, I want to see the Sox win. And your disregarding that for "enjoyment in the growth of individual players" is bullshit. You don't even believe that. You're just saying that to further you point about remaining patient. But come on?? This has been a tough, tough spring. And being down 9 to zero to the Cubs after two innings has to be the low point of a very unfulling spring so far. I (and most of us) understand your point. But can't you just close your eyes behind your rose-colored glasses and let us b**** some. Nine to nothing to the Cubs after two innings . . . .

Actually the guy you quoted didn't say a damn thing about anyone b****ing or wanting you not to b****. He only stated how he wishes to view things. You wish to view things differently go right ahead . He didn't criticize your point of view but you are criticizing his. Not everyone has to find the worst in things . Some choose to look at the bright side. Just because you don't believe he can actually choose to enjoy individual performances and ignore the wins and losses is on you. It's often a sign of maturity and growth to see the good rather than the ugly. That doesn't mean we are blind to the ugly or naive about it. If we start to see the bright side in something as inconsequential as a ST baseball game then it becomes easier to do with more important things . Perhaps that is a baby step that more of us need to take.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

3 hours ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

But someone said the other day starting pitching should be this organizations strength which is why they should have spent their financial resources on manny and Harper. Lol, the starting staff is brutal and will be awful for the foreseeable future. Anyone thinking the Sox won’t need to dip into free agency or trades to fill at least 2 spots in the starting rotation is kidding themselves. At least the infield is league average as currently constructed. The outfield is terrible but that’s the one true strength of the current minor league system so that should improve in time.

I think we’ll add one TOR starter to anchor the staff next year, but the rest of the rotation should consist of four of Rodon, Lopez, Kopech, Cease, Giolito, & Dunning.  I seriously doubt we add two arms unless something seriously goes wrong this year (which is possible).

26 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I think we’ll add one TOR starter to anchor the staff next year, but the rest of the rotation should consist of four of Rodon, Lopez, Kopech, Cease, Giolito, & Dunning.  I seriously doubt we add two arms unless something seriously goes wrong this year (which is possible).

Yeah I'll believe it when I see it. I have no doubt we will add an older vet we hope performs beyond our wildest dreams. 

12 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

Yeah I'll believe it when I see it. I have no doubt we will add an older vet we hope performs beyond our wildest dreams. 

Look, I’ve been as negative as anyone these past few weeks, but the reality is the Sox will have money to burn next offseason.  They most certainly won’t be getting Cole or Sale, but they’ll have to spend their money on something and I could easily see Verlander (less likely to pull off) & Bumgarner be their primary targets.  Not suggesting that I’d be overly excited with Madison but that’s what I fully expect to happen.

2 hours ago, Sockin said:

What? Sale and Trout won't want to come here in your opinion? 😅

4 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

Yes, nobody is ever allowed to get better. That is what I keep hearing from everyone here. A player gets to the Majors and he already is what he is. You can never improve, you can never get better at anything. Good to know. We're all doomed. 

It's fine to be skeptical but to say nobody can improve defies all logic. 

Shit has really hit the fan here. It is getting to the point where rational discussion is no longer possible. 

I don't find the blame game constructive. Let's move on. If the Sox want to be edgy they should promote more prospects. If they are out of contention again by mid-May I think many of us will look for better hobbies. 

42 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Look, I’ve been as negative as anyone these past few weeks, but the reality is the Sox will have money to burn next offseason.  They most certainly won’t be getting Cole or Sale, but they’ll have to spend their money on something and I could easily see Verlander (less likely to pull off) & Bumgarner be their primary targets.  Not suggesting that I’d be overly excited with Madison but that’s what I fully expect to happen.

I agree. But we usually sign guys like Contreras, Vasquez, Garcia, etc, and not the young elite talent. I think we will spend the money, but not on long term deals for elite talent. Our FO will protect itself with a 3 year deal. 

3 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

If (maybe) winning 70 games passes as "enjoyment" for you then I admire your definition of the word. Not trying to be sarcastic but when you've had the past 12 years like the Sox have which by and large have been awful, its hard to find enjoyment in the game...maybe in some individual performances, but the object is to win, that's why they keep score and the Sox have been brutally bad at winning.

Doesn't mean I'm going to give up on them before anybody spits that nonsense out, I was born and raised in Chicago, I'm a Sox fan and I'll stay a Sox fan but this season is going to be pretty rough once again and we shouldn't delude ourselves otherwise.

I always enjoy the watching a game of baseball. It more enjoyable when "your" team wins but it's baseball and baseball is always good.

32 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

I agree. But we usually sign guys like Contreras, Vasquez, Garcia, etc, and not the young elite talent. I think we will spend the money, but not on long term deals for elite talent. Our FO will protect itself with a 3 year deal. 

We literally traded for every single pitcher you said we signed. 

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, Tony said:

Sometimes people are just too smart for their own good, you know what I mean? 

There is a direct correlation between intelligence and cynicism. The smarter you are, the more you understand exactly how the world is fucked, but that is beside the point. That comment is something  I should have kept to myself. Just fucking forget I said it and move along. The whole thing came out in an unintended way and I'm not even going to attempt to correct it. 

Edited by Jack Parkman