Personal opinions on Sox rebuild pieces.

Jack Parkman

4 minutes ago, knightni said:

It would have been nice to have taken either of the next two outfielders drafted after Jared Mitchell in 2009 instead of Mitchell.

One hypothetical I've thought about a lot is if we would have performed a rebuild if we drafted (and developed to equal status) Corey Seager instead of Courtney Hawkins.

20 minutes ago, OmarComing25 said:

Even including the other rounds he's still probably top 5 from that draft.

I always thought of 2008 as the worst "recent" draft but 2013 will probably beat it as 2008 got some late life out of smoak and alonso.

51 minutes ago, knightni said:

It would have been nice to have taken either of the next two outfielders drafted after Jared Mitchell in 2009 instead of Mitchell.

While that's obviously the bigger miss, I will always wonder if Mitchell might not have become a solid OF had he not annihilated his leg.

The other draft I think about which was still one of the more productive when you consider the history, but the 2004 draft we had 6? draft picks in the top 70. We got Gio in the supplementary which help fuel a bunch of trades but the second round that featured 3 sox picks and included dustin pedroia, yovani gallardo, hunter pence, kurt suzuki, (to lesser extents) jason vargas, and in the next round adam lind and ian desmond.

Had we nailed that draft as Boston nailed their 2005 draft its just such a different franchise, for one, we'd have had enough capital to probably get cabrera in 2008.

The trajectory of this franchise was so often just lost on the margins which is still where I see it struggling.

People seem to forget Anderson didn't start focusing on baseball til his Junior year in high school.

"He played little league, but dropped baseball until his junior year of high school after suffering two knee injuries playing basketball, his other love. (Anderson sent video of himself dunking to scouts to demonstrate his athleticism.) Even then, he couldn't focus on baseball fulltime because his Hillcrest High School basketball team kept making the playoffs and delaying the start of his spring season"

8 minutes ago, BigHurt3515 said:

People seem to forget Anderson didn't start focusing on baseball til his Junior year in high school.

"He played little league, but dropped baseball until his junior year of high school after suffering two knee injuries playing basketball, his other love. (Anderson sent video of himself dunking to scouts to demonstrate his athleticism.) Even then, he couldn't focus on baseball fulltime because his Hillcrest High School basketball team kept making the playoffs and delaying the start of his spring season"

I know people don't want to hear it, but Tim Anderson is a pretty nice success story when you think about how raw he was, and how far behind he was. He also still has some big room to grow. Maybe it is the alcohol talking,  but I think he will make an all star team in the next few years. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

I know people don't want to hear it, but Tim Anderson is a pretty nice success story when you think about how raw he was, and how far behind he was. He also still has some big room to grow. Maybe it is the alcohol talking,  but I think he will make an all star team in the next few years. 

Agreed, and there is still growth that we are witnessing. As a bonus, he has fun and is demonstrative when he plays. I love when he gets under the skin of the fun police.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

He is absolutely a feather in the cap.

Top Sox Development Success stories since Hahn:

1. Tim Anderson

2. Leury Garcia

3. Yolmer Sanchez

4. Trayce Thompson

5. Omar Narvaez

6. Tyler Saladino

Abreu I would consider a scout success, same with Kahnle. I think Avi and Rodon have been biggest development failures.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, DirtySox said:

Agreed, and there is still growth that we are witnessing. As a bonus, he has fun and is demonstrative when he plays. I love when he gets under the skin of the fun police.

He's a competitive sob and I love it. The team needs more guys with Tim's attitude. He works his ass off, plays his ass off and has a lot of swagger. 

• Haha 1

59 minutes ago, bmags said:

1. Tim Anderson

2. Leury Garcia

3. Yolmer Sanchez

4. Trayce Thompson

5. Omar Narvaez

6. Tyler Saladino

Abreu I would consider a scout success, same with Kahnle. I think Avi and Rodon have been biggest development failures.

Rodon has just been hurt. It's hard to fault the team for that. 

4 hours ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

5 hours ago, bmags said:

1. Tim Anderson

2. Leury Garcia

3. Yolmer Sanchez

4. Trayce Thompson

5. Omar Narvaez

6. Tyler Saladino

No offense, but Thompson, Narvaez and Saladino are not very good. I won't offend the Leury and Yolmer lovers by saying they are nothing to write home about. This list isn't exactly a great list of stud big leaguers.

• Like 1

I've had multiple opinions on Moncada, but....

Ultimately, I think that he's too talented to completely suck. With even marginal improvement, he's going to be a 3.5-4.5 WAR player, and if that's all he is, that is probably still a disappointment for most fans. He may or may not ever become that 6+ WAR stud but I'm still excited about watching him grow as a player, and I'm really interested to see if he can reach superstardom. However good you think Eloy can be, just remember Moncada can be even better than that. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

19 minutes ago, greg775 said:

No offense, but Thompson, Narvaez and Saladino are not very good. I won't offend the Leury and Yolmer lovers by saying they are nothing to write home about. This list isn't exactly a great list of stud big leaguers.

Yeah, it's certainly a bit of damning with faint praise

• Like 2

1 minute ago, mqr said:

Yeah, it's certainly a bit of damning with faint praise

Correct. Leury did move from terrible offensive player to slightly above average if he could stay healthy so that was decent. Maybe I should move Omar up.

Overall, I'm a big believer in Moncada and Eloy. Obviously, they both have absurd skill sets that limit their floors.

After that, I'd like to see a full season this year of LuBob where he stays healthy, and hits about .280-.300 with 15-20 homeruns.  It will be interesting to see his stolen base totals at the end of the season.  I'm really not sure about Madrigal yet, need to see how he performs in his first full year of pro ball.  The 2016 and 2017 first round picks I won't even touch on.

On the pitching side of things, after Cease and Dunning, I really do not see that much upside other than innings eaters in the minors.  Maybe take the best arm you could get at 3 if Vaughn or Rutschman aren't available when we pick?  On the Major League Roster, I like Rodon to take a big step forward this year, but I've been thinking he'd do that for years now. This is a make or break year for him.  Lopez should be a good 3/4 for years to come.  Giolito is just meh.

All in all, I think the Sox need big steps forward on the pitching side of things this year to get a better outlook of what we have. 

• Haha 1

TBaseball America put out a podcast yesterday updating the 2019 Mlb draft outlook. The headline take is whisperings that Andrew Vaughn may be in the conversation as the #1 pick. Adley Rutschman has been considered a mortal lock for that spot, but Vaughn is hitting at an unworldly level again this season. He’s OBP is at .850 and is slugging  a thousand with 7 homers in 11 games. He could be the best college hitter in 20 years. He already was the college POY last year. Rutschman himself has been having another fine season so far. 

Bobby Witt continues to look good and has the highest ceiling in the draft. He’s a surefire major league shortstop. CJ Abrams also looking very good, and these are the Top 4 right now. Presently no pitching is cracking the Top 10.  

Edited by Baker

3 hours ago, Baker said:

TBaseball America put out a podcast yesterday updating the 2019 Mlb draft outlook. The headline take is whisperings that Andrew Vaughn may be in the conversation as the #1 pick. Adley Rutschman has been considered a mortal lock for that spot, but Vaughn is hitting at an unworldly level again this season. He’s OBP is at .850 and is slugging  a thousand with 7 homers in 11 games. He could be the best college hitter in 20 years. He already was the college POY last year. Rutschman himself has been having another fine season so far. 

Bobby Witt continues to look good and has the highest ceiling in the draft. He’s a surefire major league shortstop. CJ Abrams also looking very good, and these are the Top 4 right now. Presently no pitching is cracking the Top 10.  

Vaughn, Rutschman, or Witt. I would be happy with any of those 3, and the White Sox are guaranteed a shot at 1 of those 3.

6 hours ago, Baker said:

The funny thing is rutschman is having an amazing year too. 

Witt would still be my pick. Kid has a lot of Corey Seager in him but he's an even better athlete.

I'd take rutsch second but catchers just wear down so fast usually.

Let's relax on Vaughn  being best in 20 years. Its early.

3 hours ago, YouGottaBeBleepingMe said:

Vaughn, Rutschman, or Witt. I would be happy with any of those 3, and the White Sox are guaranteed a shot at 1 of those 3.

Just don't have the White Sox reuse to draft the high schooler if the 2 college guys are gone. 

On ‎3‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 11:43 AM, bmags said:

1. Tim Anderson

2. Leury Garcia

3. Yolmer Sanchez

4. Trayce Thompson

5. Omar Narvaez

6. Tyler Saladino

Disagree about Rodon. Injuries have been his problem, not development.

On 3/8/2019 at 12:43 PM, bmags said:

1. Tim Anderson

2. Leury Garcia

3. Yolmer Sanchez

4. Trayce Thompson

5. Omar Narvaez

6. Tyler Saladino

How about Fulmer???