Can't wait for the minors to start

kitekrazy

I got addicted to watching the Dash last season and it was the only A team I got to watch. 

The Barons should be better this year.

Last year was my first season watching minor league baseball I really loved it despite the broadcast quality.

Unfortunately the only rookie baseball I will get to see in person is in the summer when it's over 100 degrees in the evening.

I didn't get to see Kanny that much.  That was another great team.  I hated how they all wet the bed in the playoffs except for Great Falls.  I don't care to see Charlotte that much because you see the same retreads that have no future.

49 minutes ago, kitekrazy said:

I didn't get to see Kanny that much.  That was another great team.  I hated how they all wet the bed in the playoffs except for Great Falls.  I don't care to see Charlotte that much because you see the same retreads that have no future.

I disagree, I'm pumped to see Charlotte because of guys like Eloy (for a couple of weeks), Cease, Collins, Zavala, Burdi, Dunning, Lambert and Flores at some point.

Of course there is a lot of fodder there too, but our system is starting to move up the ranks. Charlotte and Birmingham are probably my favorite teams to watch this year. Just sucks that Birmingham has an AWFUL broadcast for milb.tv

10 hours ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

I disagree, I'm pumped to see Charlotte because of guys like Eloy (for a couple of weeks), Cease, Collins, Zavala, Burdi, Dunning, Lambert and Flores at some point.

Of course there is a lot of fodder there too, but our system is starting to move up the ranks. Charlotte and Birmingham are probably my favorite teams to watch this year. Just sucks that Birmingham has an AWFUL broadcast for milb.tv

What's the deal with Burdi? His TJ surgery was like 20 months ago. He is even going to ready to go for Charlotte on their opening day? 

1 hour ago, OneDog847 said:

What's the deal with Burdi? His TJ surgery was like 20 months ago. He is even going to ready to go for Charlotte on their opening day? 

Yes, he is supposedly pitching without restrictions.

11 hours ago, OneDog847 said:

Good to hear. Let's hope he can make it up to the Show sometime in 2019!

Burdi pitched in the AFL this fall and was hitting 97. Not near his 101-102 from college, but he was eventually shut down from the AFL as a precaution due to arm fatigue. He's good to go now. I expect he would start in AAA Charlotte and make the major league club sometime in the late spring or early summer if he responds well. He was pretty close to being called up in 2017 before he got hit with TJS.

• Thanks 1

I live in the Charlotte area, so I have the Knights, Dash and Intimidators all fairly close to where I live. Should be pretty exciting. Will get to see Cease and Collins, most likely pretty early in the season in Triple-A. Then hopefully Basabe, Robert, Madrigal, and Gonzalez later in the season.

1 hour ago, KnightsOnMintSt said:

I live in the Charlotte area, so I have the Knights, Dash and Intimidators all fairly close to where I live. Should be pretty exciting. Will get to see Cease and Collins, most likely pretty early in the season in Triple-A. Then hopefully Basabe, Robert, Madrigal, and Gonzalez later in the season.

U really think Robert and Madrigal will be in Charlotte at some point this year? I see both Madrigal and Robert starting the year in Winston-Salem and finishing in Birmingham if everything goes according to plan. 

37 minutes ago, OneDog847 said:

U really think Robert and Madrigal will be in Charlotte at some point this year? I see both Madrigal and Robert starting the year in Winston-Salem and finishing in Birmingham if everything goes according to plan. 

For a normal organization or for the White Sox?

14 hours ago, OneDog847 said:

I think Robert starts in A+, but I could see Madrigal starting in AA, or if not, only spending a couple of weeks in W-S before getting promoted. I think ending the season in Charlotte is a real possibility. He's very advanced.

19 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

For a normal organization or for the White Sox?

I think you're a little out of date here again. Getz has slowed things down quite noticeably. Since he's taken over I haven't felt like any prospect has been rushed, which is different than before when rushing was what they did. The only player in the Getz era where I felt he was moved up too quickly is this talk of Collins in AAA - I think he's not ready. But literally that's it, and even in that case there are plenty of people who think AAA makes sense.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, NorthSideSox72 said:

I think you're a little out of date here again. Getz has slowed things down quite noticeably. Since he's taken over I haven't felt like any prospect has been rushed, which is different than before when rushing was what they did. The only player in the Getz era where I felt he was moved up too quickly is this talk of Collins in AAA - I think he's not ready. But literally that's it, and even in that case there are plenty of people who think AAA makes sense.

I think theyve been too slow considering the bulk of college prospects they've had, especially with relievers.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, OneDog847 said:

I think both may start in Winston-Salem, but both get promoted pretty quickly.  I fully expect Madrigal to fly through the system and reach Charlotte (and possibly the majors) by the end of the year.

3 hours ago, NorthSideSox72 said:

Great post.  Balta keeps acting like we rush all our prospects when in reality we’ve done the exact opposite under Getz.  In fact, I could name multiple cases where I think Getz has been way too conservative with placements.

On 3/7/2019 at 10:50 AM, Chicago White Sox said:

Balta keeps acting like we rush all our prospects when in reality we’ve done the exact opposite under Getz.

I disagree.

The geniuses in the front office recently picked up a top prospect from another org with a ~31% k rate in AA. (In other words, this prospect K'ed 31% to Carson Fulmer-caliber opposition.)

Instead of remediating this prospect at AA, those dumbasses promoted him to Charlotte, where he piled up the Ks, despite hitting in a band box. He also couldn't hit right-handed very well, despite reputedly being a "switch-hitter." His numbers overall @  Charlotte were middling for a talent with his tools.

Still, the geniuses promoted Yoan Moncada to the Bigs, where he needed a miraculous Sept/Oct WRT BaBIP, & sat out some games to avoid breaking the record for Ks. He still hits right-handed like a stroke survivor, & had to be moved off 2nd base, as he piled on the errors.

On balance, I would say that this FO rushed Moncada up, which has harmed his development, & placed this rebuild at risk. 

I see evidence of these dumbasses prepping rush jobs @ catcher, & @ 2nd base as well. We'll have to see.

Edited by Two-Gun Pete

1 hour ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

I disagree.

The geniuses in the front office recently picked up a top prospect from another org with a ~31% k rate in AA. (In other words, this prospect K'ed 31% to Carson Fulmer-caliber opposition.)

Instead of remediating this prospect at AA, those dumbasses promoted him to Charlotte, where he piled up the Ks, despite hitting in a band box. He also couldn't hit right-handed very well, despite reputedly being a "switch-hitter." His numbers overall @  Charlotte were middling for a talent with his tools.

Still, the geniuses promoted Yoan Moncada to the Bigs, where he needed a miraculous Sept/Oct WRT BaBIP, & sat out some games to avoid breaking the record for Ks. He still hits right-handed like a stroke survivor, & had to be moved off 2nd base, as he piled on the errors.

On balance, I would say that this FO rushed Moncada up, which has harmed his development, & placed this rebuild at risk. 

I see evidence of these dumbasses prepping rush jobs @ catcher, & @ 2nd base as well. We'll have to see.

That’s just one example though.  And the Red Sox already had rushed him to the majors, so I’m not sure sending him back to AA would have made much sense.  I do agree he should have spent more time in AAA, but I think that falls more on KW & Hahn trying to quickly sell the rebuild than anything.  Again, under Chris Getz we have been fairly conservative with assignments and promotions.

22 hours ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

I disagree.

1. You are creatively ignoring that Moncada was already in the Majors before he even reached the Sox, and that no team in baseball would have sent him back down 2 levels.

2. K-rates and size of ballpark have zero correlation.

3. An .823 OPS at AAA while playing 4.5 years younger than league average is far above "middling".

4. A player does not constitute a sample, and you also creatively ignore the fact that they have been conservative on most of the farm.

5. Is the stroke survivor line really necessary? It makes you sound like a meathead, which doesn't really help your case.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, NorthSideSox72 said:

1. You are creatively ignoring that Moncada was already in the Majors before he even reached the Sox, and that no team in baseball would have sent him back down 2 levels.

2. K-rates and size of ballpark have zero correlation.

3. An .823 OPS at AAA while playing 4.5 years younger than league average is far above "middling".

4. A player does not constitute a sample, and you also creatively ignore the fact that they have been conservative on most of the farm.

5. Is the stroke survivor line really necessary? It makes you sound like a meathead, which doesn't really help your case.

Beautiful response to an ignorant post. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1