3/4 vs Angels

justBLAZE

1 hour ago, bmags said:

I still am not crazy about trying to force Leury back to IF mostly

The minimal value Leury has is the fact that he can play multiple positions.  As an OF only, he's worthless.  

3 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

The minimal value Leury has is the fact that he can play multiple positions.  As an OF only, he's worthless.  

That's fine but he should be playing OF majority of time because our OF is terrible, instead they've pushed him to be primarily an IF reserve and last year it largely seemed to be because of nicky/davidson...I don't know, don't see the necessity this year.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, bmags said:

That's fine but he should be playing OF majority of time because our OF is terrible, instead they've pushed him to be primarily an IF reserve and last year it largely seemed to be because of nicky/davidson...I don't know, don't see the necessity this year.

Personally I'd give him a ton of run in CF and hope he gets off to a hot start and can trade him for something interesting.  But I think Engel is going to be the guy in CF 5/7 games.  

Jo Adell, who is the #14 prospect on the MLB Pipeline top prospects list, was selected #10 overall by the Angels right before the Sox took Burger at #11.  Just one spot away, just like missing out on Benintendi at #7 in 2015 and then selecting Fulmer at #8.  I guess the old saying "Timing is everything" is particularly true when it comes to the crapshoot known as the draft.  

2 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

I REALLY want Danny Mendick to be good.

Men-dick!

Men-dick!

Men-dick!

Mendick and Seby producing this year would be nice indicators of player development.

I think for the elite players its not necessarily player dev working as much as luck and scouting philosophy. But a good player dev squad should squeeze the most value from every player, so you get a solid stable of people like this.

Mendicks power improves, his numbers are never good enough that you believe, not since W-S. But I don't know, if you get a tyler saladino level player from him that's really nice!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bmags said:

Mendick and Seby producing this year would be nice indicators of player development.

I think for the elite players its not necessarily player dev working as much as luck and scouting philosophy. But a good player dev squad should squeeze the most value from every player, so you get a solid stable of people like this.

Mendicks power improves, his numbers are never good enough that you believe, not since W-S. But I don't know, if you get a tyler saladino level player from him that's really nice!

Mendick was on the Fringe Five leaderboards at fangraphs last year. His k/bb rate is really good and dont forget he played in Birmingham last year and it's a real tough place to hit. 

He is solid all around and could be a later bloomer. 

1 minute ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Mendick was on the Fringe Five leaderboards at fangraphs last year. His k/bb rate is really good and dont forget he played in Birmingham last year and it's a real tough place to hit. 

That was mostly two years ago but he survived birmingham which is a tough park for him, as seen by only a .373 slugging percentage at home. But he did a decent job getting on base and I'm a fan.

2 hours ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

I agree

5 hours ago, bmags said:

This.  It would be nice to see the Sox start to develop the out of nowhere guys.  Can't rely on all top level talent.

• bmags unpinned this topic