Trade Proposal

PolishPrince34

I would be on the phone talking with the Washington Nationals about taking Zimmerman off their hands. Nationals want to sign Kimbrel, but have no desire going over the luxury tax. 

Take on Ryan Zimmerman's $18 million last year of contract, Luis Garcia SS/18 years old/Top 100 Prospect and oozes tools and Israel Pineda C/18 year old high ceiling catcher who needs time to develop, but has a good chance down the road of becoming a quality starter.

for 

Nicky Delmonico or Daniel Palka. Both players have no future and will be in the way of our prospects coming up shortly,

This is the type of move Hahn needs to make when your rebuilding and have such a low salary.  This will help with the White Sox goal  to continue having a strong farm system that sustains  when we graduate many of our prospects in Triple and Double A by adding a couple high ceiling prospects in A ball who are 2-3 away.

Edited by PolishPrince34
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, PolishPrince34 said:

I would be on the phone talking with the Washington Nationals about taking Zimmerman off their hands. Nationals want to sign Kimbrel, but have no desire going over the luxury tax. 

Take on Ryan Zimmerman's $18 million last year of contract, Luis Garcia SS/18 years old/Top 100 Prospect and oozes tools and Israel Pineda C/18 year old high ceiling catcher who needs time to develop, but has a good chance down the road of becoming a quality starter.

for 

Nicky Delmonico or Daniel Palka. Both players have no future and will be in the way of our prospects coming up shortly,

This is the type of move Hahn needs to make when your rebuilding and have such a low salary. 

And then do what with Zimmerman/Alonso? Or try to deal Abreu somewhere (not that they'd get a lot for him)?

Edited by soxfan2014

That's the least of your worry. Try to trade Zimmerman, Abreu, or Alonso and eat their contracts. You might be stuck with the 3 for a couple months, but injuries will occur and people will be calling. So in the mean time rotate 1B and DH between the 3 players. 

3 minutes ago, PolishPrince34 said:

That's the least of your worry. Try to trade Zimmerman, Abreu, or Alonso and eat their contracts. You might be stuck with the 3 for a couple months, but injuries will occur and people will be calling. So in the mean time rotate 1B and DH between the 3 players. 

I just don't see the Nats dumping Zimmerman, personally.

I read yesterday that if the Nats signed Kimbrel, they would be in the lower penalty level this year (they're about $4 mill under the tax threshold now). After this year, Zimmerman and Dozier would become free agents and that would help their issue for next season. We'll see what they ultimately do.

Edited by soxfan2014

Interesting idea, still have figured out true price of "buying" a prospect this way, but would be a fan of it regardless.

I really would like sox to try and get a comp pick this year and use of their salary would be best way to do it...except the only competitive teams in the as/rays have been very efficient. The twins could be the team to look at, but we have little to offer them.

The other thing to keep in mind is assisting the nats in reducing their tax penalty may make it easier to re-sign Rendon. This is of course laughable that the sox would pay for a good player, but should be included in the assisting of the nats.

Last time it occured for a prospect was with the Braves and the Diamondbacks, but that was back when idiot Dave Stewart was the GM. Braves got Touki Toussiant for Bronson Arroyo $9.5 million contract and 4.5 million buyout. Looks like it will End up working really well for the Braves.

4 minutes ago, PolishPrince34 said:

Last time it occured for a prospect was with the Braves and the Diamondbacks, but that was back when idiot Dave Stewart was the GM. Braves got Touki Toussiant for Bronson Arroyo $9.5 million contract and 4.5 million buyout. Looks like it will End up working really well for the Braves.

Pads acquired 13 mill of chase headley for a pretty middle of the road guy in bryan mitchell that was from what I remember basically a 40 man guy anyway

Good call on the Headley!!! I think San Diego received a $500,000 back so it came it out to $12.5 million.  Also, more recently I forgot the Reds and Dodgers deal that was made where the Dodgers received prospects Downs and Gray in the deal. 

The Dodgers traded outfielders Yasiel Puig and Matt Kemp, pitcher Alex Wood, and catcher Kyle Farmer to the Reds for the salary of Homer Bailey plus minor league prospects Jeter Downs and Josiah Gray. Bailey — who has battled injuries and has a 6.25 ERA over the last four seasons in just 46 total starts — won’t pitch for the Dodgers. As a condition to waive his no-trade clause, Bailey was granted his release and is now a free agent. The Dodgers owe him $23 million in 2019 plus a $5 million buyout of his 2020 option.

Even in taking on Bailey’s $28 million in guaranteed money, the Dodgers from a cash standpoint saved about $7 million in this trade. From a competitive balance tax standpoint, the Dodgers’ 2019 payroll decreased by roughly $16 million.

3 minutes ago, PolishPrince34 said:

Good call on the Headley!!! I think San Diego received a $500,000 back so it came it out to $12.5 million.  Also, more recently I forgot the Reds and Dodgers deal that was made where the Dodgers received prospects Downs and Gray in the deal. 

The Dodgers traded outfielders Yasiel Puig and Matt Kemp, pitcher Alex Wood, and catcher Kyle Farmer to the Reds for the salary of Homer Bailey plus minor league prospects Jeter Downs and Josiah Gray. Bailey — who has battled injuries and has a 6.25 ERA over the last four seasons in just 46 total starts — won’t pitch for the Dodgers. As a condition to waive his no-trade clause, Bailey was granted his release and is now a free agent. The Dodgers owe him $23 million in 2019 plus a $5 million buyout of his 2020 option.

Even in taking on Bailey’s $28 million in guaranteed money, the Dodgers from a cash standpoint saved about $7 million in this trade. From a competitive balance tax standpoint, the Dodgers’ 2019 payroll decreased by roughly $16 million.

That's tough to gauge since they did get 3 useful MLB players in that deal. It wasn't just Bailey and prospects for Kyle Farmer or a PTBNL or something.

9 minutes ago, GenericUserName said:

One reason I don't think it will happen is because Zimmerman has a NTC. I feel like the only way a trade works is if its a three way with him going to another contender or if we agree to release him right away so he can sign on somewhere else.

Not sure that they would be an easy task.

2 minutes ago, Princess Dye said:

I'd like to see more NBA-style trades like this.

Without a salary cap, teams just aren't motivated to give up talent in a deal like this, not enough to make it fair for the other team to take the player on. If you have a $20 million player doing nothing and a prospect of fair value to get the other team to do the move, 90% of the time the team will just keep the prospect and eat the $20 million, especially if that expensive player does fill a roster role. 

Teams like the White Sox, who don't stretch an extra $50mm over $10 years for generational talents don't trade for $18mm contracts to acquire maybe prospects.

That being said I think the Sox would have benefited a lot from this mindset over the past 2-3 years. If you're tanking you should be tanking like NBA does, just stacking draft picks/prospects (understand you can't really stack draft picks in MLB). That being said I'm sure JR has better use for $18mm than giving it to one-year bad vet contracts. Also is an expensive way to acquire fringe talent.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PolishPrince34 said:

This is the type of move Hahn needs to make when your rebuilding and have such a low salary.  This will help with the White Sox goal  to continue having a strong farm system that sustains  when we graduate many of our prospects in Triple and Double A by adding a couple high ceiling prospects in A ball who are 2-3 away.

Major league front offices, this side of Dave Stewart, don't make trades like that.....and if they did, Hahn would probably insist on sending them a prospect like he did with....

3 hours ago, GreenSox said:

Major league front offices, this side of Dave Stewart, don't make trades like that.....and if they did, Hahn would probably insist on sending them a prospect like he did with....

They have seemed open to selling comp picks though, so I really hope they keep their ears open for that.

6 hours ago, PolishPrince34 said:

"injuries will occur". Yea, the first one out of that group to be injured would be Zimmerman! Zimmerman is an injury waiting to happen!

Edited by Saufley

8 minutes ago, Sleepy Harold said:

FiFY

The difficulty is that in reality you are dealing with real money. It’s easy for fans to suggest taking on $18 million in salary to net prospects, but in practice is a much more difficult to thing to sell ownership on.