3/5 - Home vs. Pads (Giolito) / Away vs. Cleveland (Cease!!!)

bmags

Just now, BigHurt3515 said:

He is only going to get better. He hasn't been focused on just baseball for very long and just his 3rd year in the league at 25 he was a 20/20 guy. 

I’ve said it before but it bears repeating. The infield (excluding the catcher’s position) is the least of my concerns for this team moving forward. It was basically league average last year and TA and Moncada should only improve from here. One of the reasons why I wasn’t a supporter of a Machado signing. Better to use those financial resources in areas of greater need (catcher and starting pitching are two glaring areas of need).

2 minutes ago, wegner said:

Did I read gameday correctly that Castillo had 2 throwing errors to let runners score in the same inning?  Wasn't he another friend of Manny that was brought in?

Yes and they were terrible throws 

1 hour ago, mqr said:

Correct me if I'm wrong but is Moncada currently running a BABIP of 1.000? Something tells me that's not great.

Striking out twice a game is not acceptable. Hard to spin it any other way. 

7 hours ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

That's some easy power right there.

thought the same.  you don't see many guys that can flick a middle out breaking ball into the stands when they let it get in on them like that.  it was a shitty breaking ball but still, impressive raw power and coordination/approach.

12 hours ago, mqr said:

Correct me if I'm wrong but is Moncada currently running a BABIP of 1.000? Something tells me that's not great.

I think he is, and yes it is a reason for concern, but it is a really small sample size. 20 AB is too small to draw any meaningful conclusions. The 9 K are concerning. It doesn't change the fact that he pulverizes baseballs when he makes contact, hence the early 1.000 BABIP. I hope he improves as the spring continues. If this was a team with a decent track record of developing hitters, I wouldn't be as concerned as I am right now about him, I'm willing to wait until mid-June or so to draw any meaningful conclusions. Once he gets to that magical 1200 PA idk what to think anymore. I might have to accept that he's just an MLB regular and nothing more at that point. A 3 win player isn't horrible or anything, but he's still a disappointment if that is what he ultimately ends up being. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

• bmags unpinned this topic
7 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

I think he is, and yes it is a reason for concern, but it is a really small sample size. 20 AB is too small to draw any meaningful conclusions. The 9 K are concerning. It doesn't change the fact that he pulverizes baseballs when he makes contact, hence the early 1.000 BABIP. I hope he improves as the spring continues. If this was a team with a decent track record of developing hitters, I wouldn't be as concerned as I am right now about him, I'm willing to wait until mid-June or so to draw any meaningful conclusions. Once he gets to that magical 1200 PA idk what to think anymore. I might have to accept that he's just an MLB regular and nothing more at that point. A 3 win player isn't horrible or anything, but he's still a disappointment if that is what he ultimately ends up being. 

K rate normalizes faster than other stats. The high k rate is alarming as I imagine the things hes trying to improve on is making contact. Hopefully he gets more comfortable with his swing and grip and that number starts to turn down.