A couple questions about spring training

vilehoopster

1. As a new guy to paying a lot of attention to spring training results, is it pretty well assumed that early in spring training, that the batters will be ahead of the pitchers? That seems to me to be true as I look at the various box scores. 

2. If the goal is to give players as many at bats and fielding opportunities as possible, and to give the pitchers plenty of innings and looks, it seems to me that the teams ought to be playing split squad game pretty much every day. Why don't teams have split squad games 4 or 5 times a week? It just makes sense to me to play tons of split squad game up until the last couple weeks of spring ball. Please explain the logic in not doing this. 

I think they do have multiple games every day. Not necessarily split squad games but they'll have the "regular" game and then they have another game or 2 on the the "B" fields.

On the other hand though, you don't want to spread the rosters too thin either. They typically let the main guys get 2 or 3 ABs and then put in someone else in the later innings. 

6 hours ago, vilehoopster said:

1. As a new guy to paying a lot of attention to spring training results, is it pretty well assumed that early in spring training, that the batters will be ahead of the pitchers? That seems to me to be true as I look at the various box scores. 

2. If the goal is to give players as many at bats and fielding opportunities as possible, and to give the pitchers plenty of innings and looks, it seems to me that the teams ought to be playing split squad game pretty much every day. Why don't teams have split squad games 4 or 5 times a week? It just makes sense to me to play tons of split squad game up until the last couple weeks of spring ball. Please explain the logic in not doing this. 

Extra games mean extra chances for injuries. Many guys get work in side sessions. Once week or 3 times in 2 weeks is plenty for split squads considering you already know most of the 25 man roster before you even start spring.

29 minutes ago, Tony said:

This is a mistake. Spring Training really will tell you very little. Now, if you want to get more familiar with some players you don't normally see, get looks at guys like Madrigal, Collins, etc, that makes sense and you should enjoy it. But don't put much stock into what you're seeing on the field, just doesn't mean anything. 

Yes, watch approaches and mechanics - not results. Giolito was cy young last spring.

Good players will likely work on things they feel they struggle with. Pitchers will some times throw an abnormal amount of a certain pitch that they are developing. Etc Etc.

6 hours ago, Iwritecode said:

I think they do have multiple games every day. Not necessarily split squad games but they'll have the "regular" game and then they have another game or 2 on the the "B" fields.

On the other hand though, you don't want to spread the rosters too thin either. They typically let the main guys get 2 or 3 ABs and then put in someone else in the later innings. 

That may be in AZ but not in Florida. The trend is now for the regulars to play home games and very few travel any distance. For example, Sunday, Boston travelled( 3 hour bus trip) to Port St Lucie to play the Mets.  Only 2 Boston starters made the trip. Now some fields are an hour apart so you may see more regulars travel. The theory is regulars can make better useof their training at their team complex than 4-6 hours riding busses. 

7 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Yes, watch approaches and mechanics - not results. Giolito was cy young last spring.

Good players will likely work on things they feel they struggle with. Pitchers will some times throw an abnormal amount of a certain pitch that they are developing. Etc Etc.

Also hitters will hit against some pretty bad pitchers or as you said pitchers just working on things so never look at results. Everyone needs time to knock off the rust or experiment.

Just now, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Also hitters will hit against some pretty bad pitchers or as you said pitchers just working on things so never look at results. Everyone needs time to knock off the rust or experiment.

Yes, it was clear to me that eloy was really working on getting ready for the season - letting the ball get real deep before attacking. He was a little late on the fastball but seemed to find his timing today.

3 hours ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Yes, it was clear to me that eloy was really working on getting ready for the season - letting the ball get real deep before attacking. He was a little late on the fastball but seemed to find his timing today.

You could be right, but why? Eloy hit the hell out of the ball last year. You think the Sox are tinkering w his hitting? Considering their "expertise" working with hitters, I would be nervous about it. 

Just now, SCCWS said:

You could be right, but why? Eloy hit the hell out of the ball last year. You think the Sox are tinkering w his hitting? Considering their "expertise" working with hitters, I would be nervous about it. 

No. In spring you want to see the ball as long as possible to get your timing down and etc. 

The deeper you let the ball get, the more you see of it.

52 minutes ago, SCCWS said:

I don't think think you need to worry about the Sox tinkering with anything. Eloy knows what he is doing.