Should the White Sox experiment with the "opener"?

Greg Hibbard

10 hours ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

So... what good pitcher is going to sign up to be a long reliever and destroy his earning potential? I'll give you a hint. None of them.

I'm not saying it's a good idea but a team with a low payroll such the Rays, it would work for. It may be the future, especially if rosters get expanded. 

10 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

How many teams have studs as 4th and  5th starters? When was the last time the Sox had 5 studs? And if they  realized they could pitch just as many innings, but face the opponents top hitters one time less. 

If you position it to a starter correctly, they may go for it. We've announced Jace Fry as the opener. They've went with 6 righties and 3 lefties. I'm putting in you Carson Fulmer in the second inning as they only have 3 lefties in the lineup. Carson Fulmer is going to love going up hitters he has more of a chance of getting out. It maximises the matchups. I could see teams like the Rays or the A's using this in a few years time if the rosters are expanded. It would cause a huge outcry from the players union but Owners would love it as potentially it would reduce the payroll for pitchers. 

3 hours ago, glangon said:

If you position it to a starter correctly, they may go for it. We've announced Jace Fry as the opener. They've went with 6 righties and 3 lefties. I'm putting in you Carson Fulmer in the second inning as they only have 3 lefties in the lineup. Carson Fulmer is going to love going up hitters he has more of a chance of getting out. It maximises the matchups. I could see teams like the Rays or the A's using this in a few years time if the rosters are expanded. It would cause a huge outcry from the players union but Owners would love it as potentially it would reduce the payroll for pitchers. 

Would it really effect the starting lineup that much knowing the guy is likely to pitch one inning?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, soxfan2014 said:

Would it really effect the starting lineup that much knowing the guy is likely to pitch one inning?

It may make for more balanced lineups, rather than the LH or RH heavy lineups you see against certain pitchers