Roster Cuts Thread

flavum

1 minute ago, soxfan2014 said:

I believe Kopech was placed on the 60-day DL so he shouldn't count.

Yes, but they’ve been counting one pitcher more than I know of, so if it’s not Kopech, then I’m missing somebody.

Rodon, Nova, Giolito, Lopez, Covey, Banuelos, Santana

Burr, Colome, Frare, Fry, Herrera, Jones, 

Hamilton, Ruiz, Marshall, Thompson 

That’s 17. If there’s an 18th, it’s either Kopech or somebody I missed.

2 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Who are they going to platoon Alonso with?  Rondon?

They could just let Palka hack away at LHP as well.  Pretty much have to platoon Alonso though so he doesn't hit his vesting option.

RHP: Jay CF, Moncada 3B, Eloy LF, Abreu DH, Alonso 1B, Castillo C, Palka LF, Anderson SS, Sanchez 2B

LHP: Jay RF, Sanchez 2B, Eloy LF, Abreu 1B, Castillo C, Anderson SS, Moncada 2B, Palka/Rondon DH, Engel CF 

28 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

They could just let Palka hack away at LHP as well.  Pretty much have to platoon Alonso though so he doesn't hit his vesting option.

RHP: Jay CF, Moncada 3B, Eloy LF, Abreu DH, Alonso 1B, Castillo C, Palka LF, Anderson SS, Sanchez 2B

LHP: Jay RF, Sanchez 2B, Eloy LF, Abreu 1B, Castillo C, Anderson SS, Moncada 2B, Palka/Rondon DH, Engel CF 

Yeah, you’re probably right about Palka. Between him and Rondon they should be able to cover for Alonso against LHP.

22 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

They won't let Eloy hit 3rd for a while.

18 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Wow, this was inevitable, but figured he’d be one of the last guys we’d send down.

I believe today is the day they tell players if they’ve made it or not, without making it official. Maybe the conversation didn’t go well with Nicky. 

I know there are people on this board that like Jay but I do not understand any value in playing him most days.  He was an overpaid stupid gamble on Hahn's part.  Let Leury get more at bats to build up his value as a possible trade piece.  We will get nothing for Jay at the trade deadline. 

4 minutes ago, wegner said:

I know there are people on this board that like Jay but I do not understand any value in playing him most days.  He was an overpaid stupid gamble on Hahn's part.  Let Leury get more at bats to build up his value as a possible trade piece.  We will get nothing for Jay at the trade deadline. 

After the spring Leury's had, I want him playing as much as possible (presuming health).  Be it in CF or 2B.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Wow, this was inevitable, but figured he’d be one of the last guys we’d send down.

They probably want him to go ahead and start getting ABs with the minor leaguers since they have other players to focus on in the remaining MLB games.

19 hours ago, wegner said:

I imagine Jay could be had for a song and a discount right now. They could open with 12 pitchers but then someone,  maybe Engel could later be at risk. It would be too embarrassing to just release Jay. Once you have 13 arms and two catchers that leaves ten guys to play the field and DH. Abreu Alonso Yoan Yolmer TA Eloy Jay Palka leaves room for two. Rondon Engel Leury compete for two spots. Jay seems to be in the way of Engel having a spot. Either move Jay or demote Engel. 

• Like 1