Roster Cuts Thread

flavum

12 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

No, I think Covey is going to be the cut when Santana goes down. Banuelos is the long man after that. 

Could be Frare too.  Otherwise we'd be holding 3 lefties.  I think Covey hangs unless he has a rough start to the season.  

8 minutes ago, Wanne said:

yeah...this makes me happy.  Knew it was only a matter of time for him.  One of Hahn's better "under the radar" moves IMO.  Congrats Ryan!

Frare too.  Hahn has done a very nice job assembling a crop of very interesting bullpen arms in Chicago and the upper minors.  

Credit where credit is due.  

12 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Jay in CF and Jay in against both RHP and LHP is an affront to Leury and the pitching staff.  Leury deserves mucho tiempo in the OF .

Agreed.  I am all for Jay riding the pine pony in favor of Leury.  New lineups until Leury breaks:

RHP: Leury / Jay CF, Moncada 3B, Abreu DH, Alonso 1B, Castillo C, Eloy LF, Palka RF, Anderson SS, Sanchez 2B

LHP: Jay / Leury RF, Sanchez 2B, Abreu 1B, Castillo C, Rondon DH, Eloy LF, Moncada 3B, Anderson SS, Engel CF 

41 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Could be Frare too.  Otherwise we'd be holding 3 lefties.  I think Covey hangs unless he has a rough start to the season.  

I think Frare & Banuelos have different roles, so both being lefites shouldn’t be a problem.  I do think Covey will end up drawing the short-end of the stick if they decide to go with a 12 man pitching staff.  He’s got options and having two long relievers is something I consider to be a luxury.  My guess is he’ll be a guy that’s called up several times this year as we deal with injuries or need someone to throw some innings on a given day, but won’t have a regular spot.

2 hours ago, WBWSF said:

Dan Straily was just released by the Marlins. I would much rather see him in the White Sox rotation than Giolito.

Straily is older and a known quantity of bad.  Giolito is at least younger and can prove one way or another this year if he is worth keeping or dumping.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, WBWSF said:

Dan Straily was just released by the Marlins. I would much rather see him in the White Sox rotation than Giolito.

Lol.  Stailey sucks.  Its likely Giolito sucks too, but he is a former #1 overall prospect and is just 24 years old.  He also has an option.  There is absolutely 100% zero reason for the Sox not to give Giolito 2019 to try to figure it out.  

I bet 29 other clubs would be happy to have Giolito. A good chunk would put him in AAA and pray for a revival there, but this isn't some garbage piece that no one would want.  

17 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

No, I think Covey is going to be the cut when Santana goes down. Banuelos is the long man after that. 

4 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

Have the Sox ever carried carried a 12-man pitching staff in the past few years?

3 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

This is why fans aren't GMs.

Its a shame that I've never been the White Sox GM. I'm still hoping to be interviewed for the job eventually. If I was ever as bad a GM as Hahn has been, I would hang my head in shame and walk out the door.

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Why would the Sox put Hamilton on the major league DL?  Why wouldn't they option him first? 

Wasn't he already on the major league roster from his September call up? If they plan on having him on the 25, why waste an option year if you don't have to?

4 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Wasn't he already on the major league roster from his September call up? If they plan on having him on the 25, why waste an option year if you don't have to?

Yah I suppose. I would think they’d be more interested in service time than option years for him, but probably not much of a concern either way for him. I would think he’ll be up for good when he comes back, and won’t spend enough time in AAA to matter. 

Just found it interesting seeing as though he spent minimal amount of time in roster last year and didn’t hurt myself playing in the bigs like Kopech did which why he’s on major league dL. 

20 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Yah I suppose. I would think they’d be more interested in service time than option years for him, but probably not much of a concern either way for him. I would think he’ll be up for good when he comes back, and won’t spend enough time in AAA to matter. 

Just found it interesting seeing as though he spent minimal amount of time in roster last year and didn’t hurt myself playing in the bigs like Kopech did which why he’s on major league dL. 

He already logged a month last year.

33 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

He already logged a month last year.

Yah I’m aware. I guess it’s just how it works, just seems odd to me that’s all. It’s not like he was guaranteed a bullpen spot. Plenty of guys who spent a month in the roster last season are in charlotte. 

21 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Yah I’m aware. I guess it’s just how it works, just seems odd to me that’s all. It’s not like he was guaranteed a bullpen spot. Plenty of guys who spent a month in the roster last season are in charlotte. 

Hamilton was going to be in by all accounts. If they didn't send him out that still holds true.