Who is your top 2019-20 free agent target

JUSTgottaBELIEVE

54 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

If Cole puts up another 6 WAR season then he's more valuable than Corbin. Cole would have put up more really good seasons than Corbin and 2 back-to-back ones, and Corbin got 6/$140 - beat that substantially for Cole if he puts up another 6 win season.

Cole will get 7 years and 210+. 

49 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

So you're expecting a terrible year from Robert?

Anderson would probably be best served if he can show plus defense at multiple positions. In our ideal world, anderson is that "surplus" piece that sox had. Even if he improves this year, his low obp and hit tool to date make him someone that you'd still target to replace even if you were good. That he's so cheap will make it unnecessary.

However, I can easily imagine a good team with an infield of moncada/bogaerts/madrigal/(vaughn) with Anderson playing ss/2b/cf/lf with nice baserunning and power in late innings.

But alas, now we just need him to be the best player he can be.

2 minutes ago, bmags said:

Anderson would probably be best served if he can show plus defense at multiple positions. In our ideal world, anderson is that "surplus" piece that sox had. Even if he improves this year, his low obp and hit tool to date make him someone that you'd still target to replace even if you were good. That he's so cheap will make it unnecessary.

However, I can easily imagine a good team with an infield of moncada/bogaerts/madrigal/(vaughn) with Anderson playing ss/2b/cf/lf with nice baserunning and power in late innings.

But alas, now we just need him to be the best player he can be.

I would think he's much more likely to be a valuable player if he can raise his defense at SS up to very good, which he was on path to doing the 2nd half of last year, but if he can't do that then perhaps that does leave him as a utility player.

41 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

The real answer about the biggest contract they will sign next offseason is Jose Abreu.

Sad but true. Dude has been a loyal soldier and JR will reward him for it. 

A three year extension in the low 50s is all but guaranteed for Jose. 

Unless Moncada shows no improvement at all, I doubt they will be moving him back to 2B. If the Sox sign Rendon, something has gone terribly wrong.

Castellanos would be a great fit as I said before, but I'm afraid that the White Sox will extend Abreu to be an average bat at a premium price.

15 minutes ago, Dam8610 said:

No, what gives you that impression?

If you think Robert stays healthy this year then moving Anderson to CF in 2020 seems tantamount to moving him to the bench, because Robert looks like he'll destroy the minor leagues if he's healthy. He may not be up opening day 2020, but if he stays healthy it's hard to see him staying down for long that year. If you sign a SS, then either you are benching Anderson or you think Robert won't be healthy.

13 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

If you think Robert stays healthy this year then moving Anderson to CF in 2020 seems tantamount to moving him to the bench, because Robert looks like he'll destroy the minor leagues if he's healthy. He may not be up opening day 2020, but if he stays healthy it's hard to see him staying down for long that year. If you sign a SS, then either you are benching Anderson or you think Robert won't be healthy.

1) I'll believe Robert stays healthy for a full season when I see it.

2) Robert could have a great year and not make it to MLB until mid-late 2020.

3) Bogaerts is a better player than Anderson. I could also move Tim to 2B, but his athleticism has less value there, and then he's looking at potentially being benched for Madrigal. If I'm making room for Bogaerts, however, Anderson isn't much of a consideration, other than trying to find him a different spot where he can get PT.

Gerrit Cole is my number one hope for next winter. Could you imagine a staff of Cole, Rodon, Kopech, Lopez and Cease. 

I think Cole is a number one starter, that you can count on for about 7 innings every time he gets the call. He’s a strike guy, which always plays and he can share the secrets of the Astros pitching development machine. 

5 hours ago, bmags said:

Said it before, adjusting expectations down mine is Nick Castellanos.

That’s actually not adjusting expectations down all that much. Castellanos will be one of the top free agents in 8 months. A really good fit at DH for a Sox lineup in need of middle of the order bats and only 4 months older than Machado. Shouldn’t cost a ton either due to his defensive limitations and probably 2-3 WAR production out of the DH slot. That’ll work. Perhaps the consolation prize to JDM but 4 years younger.

3 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

That’s actually not adjusting expectations down all that much. Castellanos will be one of the top free agents in 8 months. A really good fit at DH for a Sox lineup in need of middle of the order bats and only 4 months older than Machado. Shouldn’t cost a ton either due to his defensive limitations and probably 2-3 WAR production out of the DH slot. That’ll work. Perhaps the consolation prize to JDM but 4 years younger.

I do think that the Sox will end up with one of Martinez/Castellanos. Their market is teams with a DH, so eliminate half of the league already. In the AL East, the only team that might need a DH and not have to worry about the luxury tax is the Rays. In the central, we're probably the only team that would have interest, maybe the Twins but I doubt it. In the west, maybe the Astros go for one, but I don't know how aggressively. Keep in mind that A's DH Khris Davis will be a free agent too, and he's arguably better than Castellanos. If the competition for the 3 DHs is the White Sox, Rays, Twins, Astros, and *maybe* the Yankees/Red Sox get in on one but I doubt it, then I think we get one

20 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

I do think that the Sox will end up with one of Martinez/Castellanos. Their market is teams with a DH, so eliminate half of the league already. In the AL East, the only team that might need a DH and not have to worry about the luxury tax is the Rays. In the central, we're probably the only team that would have interest, maybe the Twins but I doubt it. In the west, maybe the Astros go for one, but I don't know how aggressively. Keep in mind that A's DH Khris Davis will be a free agent too, and he's arguably better than Castellanos. If the competition for the 3 DHs is the White Sox, Rays, Twins, Astros, and *maybe* the Yankees/Red Sox get in on one but I doubt it, then I think we get one

That’d be great. Field an entire everyday lineup of 2-3 WAR players, and if they can pull together a decent starting staff, they should be an annual division contender or favorite in the Central. Should be able to fill about 6 spots internally and then fill the other 3 via FA or trade.

• Haha 1