Who is your top 2019-20 free agent target

JUSTgottaBELIEVE

Just now, Balta1701 said:

And if they do that, it'll be justification for them to spend money on a reliever next offseason.

No, the Sox have a ton of young relievers in the system and they will eventually want to move those guys into higher leverage roles.  I fully expect two of Jones, Colome, & Herrera to be moved by this year’s deadline.

4 minutes ago, OneDog847 said:

JR has still never handed out a contract over 100 million dollars and likely never will. The Machado saga was one big dog and pony show and JR finished second on purpose. There was a reason he inserted himself into the contract negotiations. 

JDM, Goldschmidt, and Bumgarner are all gonna be looking for 100 million plus so they can be crossed off the list. 

Guys like Puig, Ozuna, Matt Carpenter, Alex Wood, and Rick Porcello will be the ones the Sox go after. 

https://www.spotrac.com/mlb/st.-louis-cardinals/matt-carpenter-8735/

Carpenter will be 34 next year and StL has an $18.5 million option for 2020.   If they lose Goldschmidt and Ozuna, they almost have to bring him back unless he totally falls apart, in which case he’d be the perfect White Sox signing.

13 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Sheets is about as close as Burger to being in anyone’s plans for 2020.  

It’s going to take Basabe until early/mid July to be in game form, so counting on him or Dunning or Adolfo seems foolhardly coming off their various injuries...in terms of MLB starters next year.

Why are you giving up on Sheets? He already has a high OBP and just needs to develop some power. Seeing him on the South Side sometime in 2020 is not unrealistic. 

Basabe should also be ready to go on the South Side in 2020. 

2 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

No, the Sox have a ton of young relievers in the system and they will eventually want to move those guys into higher leverage roles.  I fully expect two of Jones, Colome, & Herrera to be moved by this year’s deadline.

Too much seems to be predicated on Burdi.  Other than Hamilton, maybe...who else has the ability in their minors to make that jump up 2-3 stops in one year?  Fry, if his elbow holds together?

Burr, not likely.  Veira?  Ruiz?  Seems like a bunch of optimistic suppositions so far.

Just now, OneDog847 said:

Why are you giving up on Sheets? He already has a high OBP and just needs to develop some power. Seeing him on the South Side sometime in 2020 is not unrealistic. 

Basabe should also be ready to go on the South Side in 2020. 

Not giving up...but not counting on until he puts up a 15-18 homer season, at a minimum...over 140 games.

1 minute ago, caulfield12 said:

Color most of us skeptical that we won’t end up wasting another $45 on riff raft that not one single ticket buyer is motivated to attend a game due to their ongoing presence.

It’s like we signed the equivalent of five Jeff Keppingers as far as the fanbase is concerned.  

I won’t defend Hahn’s offseason because it quite frankly it sucked a fat you know what, but we also have a ton of holes right now and not enough young guys to fill them.  Even by next offseason it should much harder to waste $40M+ on low impact players.  

The rotation will have a ton of options, so if they add there it will be of the TOR variety or nothing at all.  We have a ton of young relievers and those guys will be given opportunities.  

There are more question marks on the positional side of things, but even then there’s a chance 3B, SS, 3B, C, LF, & CF all have young options availbe.  That leaves 1B, DH, and a corner spot.  We have more than enough patroll flexibly to add a JDM or Goldschmidt and stop-gaps at the other two spots while we wait for the young OFs, Burger, Sheets, & possibly Vaughn to earn their shots.

Unless things seriously go wrong this coming season, Hahn will not be able to waste all our “economic might” on a large group of 1 to 2 win players.

6 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Too much seems to be predicated on Burdi.  Other than Hamilton, maybe...who else has the ability in their minors to make that jump up 2-3 stops in one year?  Fry, if his elbow holds together?

Burr, not likely.  Veira?  Ruiz?  Seems like a bunch of optimistic suppositions so far.

What do you mean “jump up 2-3 stops in one year”?  Outside of Tyler Johnson, all our talented young relievers will be in the majors or AAA to start the season.

Edited by Chicago White Sox

6 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

https://www.spotrac.com/mlb/st.-louis-cardinals/matt-carpenter-8735/

Carpenter will be 34 next year and StL has an $18.5 million option for 2020.   If they lose Goldschmidt and Ozuna, they almost have to bring him back unless he totally falls apart, in which case he’d be the perfect White Sox signing.

I'm not advocating signing a guy like Carpenter. Just saying that he is the type of player the Sox will target and can afford. 

Goldschmidt is very very likely to sign an extension with St Louis at some point this year. He is also an NL only guy and there is always risk he comes to the AL and his numbers fall off a cliff. 

2 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I won’t defend Hahn’s offseason because it quite frankly it sucked a fat you know what, but we also have a ton of holes right now and not enough young guys to fill them.  Even by next offseason it should much harder to waste $40M+ on low impact players.  

The rotation will have a ton of options, so if they add there it will be of the TOR variety or nothing at all.  We have a ton of young relievers and those guys will be given opportunities.  

There are more question marks on the positional side of things, but even then there’s a chance 3B, SS, 3B, C, LF, & CF all have young options availbe.  That leaves 1B, DH, and a corner spot.  We have more than enough patroll flexibly to add a JDM or Goldschmidt and stop-gaps at the other two spots while we wait for the young OFs, Burger, Sheets, & possibly Vaughn to earn their shots.

Unless things seriously go wrong this coming season, Hahn will not be able to waste all our “economic might” on a large group of 1 to 2 win players.

Take back that last sentence!!!

Color everyone skeptical about Collins and Zavala behind the plate.  For Hahn and Hostetler’s sake, they need to be right about one of these guys in the 8-12 range of the 1st round eventually.

Just now, OneDog847 said:

I'm not advocating signing a guy like Carpenter. Just saying that he is the type of player the Sox will target and can afford. 

Goldschmidt is very very likely to sign an extension with St Louis at some point this year. He is also an NL only guy and there is always risk he comes to the AL and his numbers fall off a cliff. 

Why does everyone think Goldschmidt is going to sign an extension?  Everything I’ve heard is he wants to text the market after taking an under-market extension with the Diamondbacks.

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

What do you mean “jump up 2-3 stops in one year”?  Outside of Tyler Johnson, all our talented young relievers will be in the majors or AAA to start the season.

I just meant any type of pitcher who flies through the system as a starter or reliever.  Boone Logan and Radinsky come to mind.  Or McCarthy/Hudson.

Lambert, potentially...Hansen as a reliever, but that’s an iffy proposition.  Flores doesn’t really have dominant stuff.

Take back that last sentence!!!

Color everyone skeptical about Collins and Zavala behind the plate.  For Hahn and Hostetler’s sake, they need to be right about one of these guys in the 8-12 range of the 1st round eventually.

Being skeptical about Collins & Zavala is more than fair, which is why I proposed signing Grandal in this very thread.  Either way, we should still have a fuckton of money to play with even if we have to add him.  Seems like many posters here feel like we’re going to be rocking $90M payrolls for the foreseeable future.

2 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

I just meant any type of pitcher who flies through the system as a starter or reliever.  Boone Logan and Radinsky come to mind.  Or McCarthy/Hudson.

Lambert, potentially...Hansen as a reliever, but that’s an iffy proposition.  Flores doesn’t really have dominant stuff.

But we don’t need guys to fly through the system, since we have a ton of arms in AAA.  If you believe that Burdi & Hamilton can be high-leverage relievers by 2020 (which I do), then we should be in a good spot if you keep one of Jones, Colome, & Herrera.  That give you three quality RH options, plus Fry and one of Frare or Bummer to serve as your core.  We’d just need two of Burr, Vieira, Ruiz, Fulmer, Covey, Stephens, etc. to make it as middle relievers.  And I wouldn’t rule out Johnson flying through the system next year and reaching the majors by September.

5 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Why does everyone think Goldschmidt is going to sign an extension?  Everything I’ve heard is he wants to text the market after taking an under-market extension with the Diamondbacks.

Goldschmidt is a prime guy to take an extension. The FA market has not been kind to over 30 players the last few years. 

He will also be looking for 100 million plus on a four or five year deal most likely which means he will be too expensive for the Sox

5 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Being skeptical about Collins & Zavala is more than fair, which is why I proposed signing Grandal in this very thread.  Either way, we should still have a fuckton of money to play with even if we have to add him.  Seems like many posters here feel like we’re going to be rocking $90M payrolls for the foreseeable future.

Profitability is much higher at $90 million unless they can sign a superstar who will actually move the needle.

Profitability is much higher at $90 million unless they can sign a superstar who will actually move the needle.

Yep. A $90 million to 100 million payroll is much better for JR and companies bottom line. 

They just chose not to add Bryce Harper or Manny Machado to an already low payroll. I don't think they have any intention of spending any big money any time soon. 

11 minutes ago, OneDog847 said:

Goldschmidt is a prime guy to take an extension. The FA market has not been kind to over 30 players the last few years. 

He will also be looking for 100 million plus on a four or five year deal most likely which means he will be too expensive for the Sox

Stop, we just offered someone 8/$250M this offseason.  This $100M threshold you keep referencing is simply BS.

13 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

5 minutes ago, OneDog847 said:

Yep. A $90 million to 100 million payroll is much better for JR and companies bottom line. 

They just chose not to add Bryce Harper or Manny Machado to an already low payroll. I don't think they have any intention of spending any big money any time soon. 

Now you guys are just trolling.

2 hours ago, Soxbears2001 said:

This was the year. 2 26 year old all star caliber players. Getting a bunch of 29-35 year old players is of 0 interest to me. Rllwhen we are still rebuilding in 2024 people will start to realize we were shafted by this front office.

Why rule out all free agents ages 29-35? That makes no sense. The Cubs don’t win the World Series without signing 31 year old Jon Lester.

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Stop, we just offered someone 8/$250M this offseason.  This $100M threshold you keep referencing is simply BS.

Please name one contract over 100 million that the Sox have handed out while JR has been owner. The Sox made someone an offer they knew he wouldn't accept. I can walk into my local Land Rover dealer and offer them 50K for a brand new Range Rover all I want. I will still be driving home in my Honda when all is said and done. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, caulfield12 said:

Color most of us skeptical that we won’t end up wasting another $45 on riff raft that not one single ticket buyer is motivated to attend a game due to their ongoing presence.

It’s like we signed the equivalent of five Jeff Keppingers as far as the fanbase is concerned.  

Players like Colome, Herrera, Nova, and Jay aren’t necessarily bad additions. Those guys are useful pieces for many contenders. They only look bad because there is nothing else around them. If the prospects develop as we are hoping, those guys are solid complementary pieces. Colome and Herrera would be high leverage relievers on most teams. Nova would be a #5 starter at worst on most teams. Jay would be a 4th OF on a lot  of teams.

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Until a contract greater than $100M is signed it is not BS.

Remember when they were going to get Tanaka or way back when A-Rod.

The White Sox will pay over $100M for a free agent if they are getting a good deal on said free agent .

• Like 1

I’ll be shocked if the Sox don’t break the organization’s record for guaranteed money to a FA signing next winter. I have no idea who that player will be but I fully expect them to spend more than $68M on a single player. There are a number of players that fall into the $68M to $100M contract range that are both viable and really good options. I’ve stated JDM is my personal preference but I also like the idea of Castellanos.

1 minute ago, Harry Chappas said:

Until a contract greater than $100M is signed it is not BS.

Remember when they were going to get Tanaka or way back when A-Rod.

The White Sox will pay over $100M for a free agent if they are getting a good deal on said free agent .

Don’t need to spend $100M+ to get a really good player in this market.