Callis White Sox Tweet Q&A

bmags

Callis has the exact same rotation I projected for 2021 in the Personal Opinions Sox Rebuild thread a few days ago. Not that it's going out on much of limb, but I thought it was interesting. Below is my post. Thoughts on the lineup?

If we add zero players through trade/free agency and don't re-sign anybody who will be a free agent, how does this look for a potential 2021 team?  Which spots would we likely need to upgrade, and which spots are least likely to come to fruition? Obviously Vaughn at 1B is the least likely because there's a chance we won't even draft him, but I wanted to have a little fun with including our top pick from the 2019 draft. Everybody has a different opinion of the outfielders in our system, so you might have Basabe, Rutherford, or Walker instead of the guys I have there. You also might have Giolito, Hansen, or Flores in the rotation. 

Rotation:

1. Kopech
  2. Rodon
  3. Cease
  4. Lopez
  5. Dunning

Lineup:

1. Moncada 3B
  2. Robert CF
  3. Eloy LF
  4. Adolfo DH
  5. Vaughn 1B
  6. Collins C
  7. Gonzalez RF
  8. Anderson SS
  9. Madrigal 2B

Edited by SoxBlanco

4 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

Callis has the exact same rotation I projected for 2021 in the Personal Opinions Sox Rebuild thread a few days ago. Not that it's going out on much of limb, but I thought it was interesting. Below is my post. Thoughts on the lineup?

Still feels like we are going to be light on offense without a big bat.

2 hours ago, DirtySox said:

Feel like he's way too down on Luis Gonzalez.

I think the main knock against gonzalez is that he is old. 23.5 years old and hasn't played above A ball. 

Yeah he had a great season but it was high A ball as a 23 year old. Also 14 homers last year was a power improvement but if he is a corner OF that still is below average and at 23 he likely won't gain much more power.

He likely won't arrive in the majors before he turns 25 so I can understand why he is down on him.

But if he repeats last year and gains a bit more power I can see him making the top100, he just is behind in the age curve and needs to show it at higher levels.

1 hour ago, SoxBlanco said:

That team’s payroll is probably under $50M depending on the bullpen.  Need to add several quality free agents.

48 minutes ago, dominik-keul@gmx.de said:

I think the main knock against gonzalez is that he is old. 23.5 years old and hasn't played above A ball. 

Yeah he had a great season but it was high A ball as a 23 year old. Also 14 homers last year was a power improvement but if he is a corner OF that still is below average and at 23 he likely won't gain much more power.

He likely won't arrive in the majors before he turns 25 so I can understand why he is down on him.

But if he repeats last year and gains a bit more power I can see him making the top100, he just is behind in the age curve and needs to show it at higher levels.

I get the age thing. I was more so surprised at the knock around his defense. I was under the assumption he's more than competent center fielder.

Edited by DirtySox

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

That team’s payroll is probably under $50M depending on the bullpen.  Need to add several quality free agents.

Exactly. That was kind of the point of my original post. If that’s what our team would look like without any signings, which spots do you anticipate needing upgrades the most? 

1 hour ago, DirtySox said:

I get the age thing. I was more so surprised at the knock around his defense. I was under the assumption he's more than competent center fielder.

I'm kinda over scouting reports on defense. Unless they say they are a wizard on defense they seem to be all over the map based on body projections and the like, until the org moves them off the position it's hard to care.

12 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

Exactly. That was kind of the point of my original post. If that’s what our team would look like without any signings, which spots do you anticipate needing upgrades the most? 

Honestly, probably an experienced TOR and proven middle of the order of the bat (regardless of spot).  Plus while I’m willing to give Collins a year to prove himself, catcher could become a clear need.  Give me Verlander, Martinez, & Grandal and I’d be a happy camper.

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Honestly, probably an experienced TOR and proven middle of the order of the bat (regardless of spot).  Plus while I’m willing to give Collins a year to prove himself, catcher could become a clear need.  Give me Verlander, Martinez, & Grandal and I’d be a happy camper.

You will get none of them and you will like it!

• Haha 1

If a guy goes to college for 4 years and was born in the fall...he gets drafted as a 22 year old and finishes his first pro season turning 23.  probably plays his next season in full season A ball as a 23 year old.  Somehow this dude is old if you ask anyone.  Like what else is he supposed to do?

Luis did this but started a year earlier and even HE’S old.  That’s fucked up

12 hours ago, Jerksticks said:

If a guy goes to college for 4 years and was born in the fall...he gets drafted as a 22 year old and finishes his first pro season turning 23.  probably plays his next season in full season A ball as a 23 year old.  Somehow this dude is old if you ask anyone.  Like what else is he supposed to do?

Luis did this but started a year earlier and even HE’S old.  That’s fucked up

If a guy is 22-23 in A-ball, that's right at the average age for that level - including all of the retreads, washouts, GM and Manager's kids, and so on. If we're talking about a kid who is a legit prospect and who is that age - he should be more physically developed than many of the younger prospects at that level, and if he's actually going to be good enough to reach the big leagues, his skill set should be better than the washouts, retreads, and Williamses around that level. If he spends his first full year at A-ball and doesn't dominate that level enough to move up to AA, that's at the least concerning. 

I'd say that about Madrigal this year. I know the White Sox will rush him up, but I'd still start him at A-ball for a month or so, and I want to see him dominate that league and prove he's better than that league before I move him up. If he doesn't dominate that league, that's more than a little disconcerting.