All of a sudden I want to sign Kimbrel

Jerksticks

Is that crazy?  I get all the reasons it’s dumb.  

Part of of me thinks so what?  Even if his fastball declines more over the next few years, he’s still probably a really solid bullpen piece.  

He doesnt get hurt.  He just won a World Series.  He’s electric.  He’d pump up the young guys and help with veteran leadership, winning culture stuff.  

4/70 probably gets him.  The money is just sitting there.

He’s elite.  Elite is good.  Elite inspires.  

Id also like a video of Jerry laughing at Hahn proposing 70 million for a reliever to him.  

4 yrs/$70M really translates to 3 yrs/$70M at BEST if we are actually ready to contend in 2020. Do you want to pay Kimbrel $23M a year? Or you can wait until next offseason when Dellin Betances and Cody Allen are available. Trevor Rosenthal might be there if his option doesn't vest. 

Plus, we also have a ton of really young relievers in our system, including Zack Burdi who was drafted for that very role. 

Really no reason to add what should be finishing touches this early in the building process, IMO.

I'd sign him to a big money 1 year deal with a decent player option for year two.

Then if he plays well flip him later. What are his options right now? Can't be all that great. What do the top guys make around 15-16 million offer him 20 million plus a 18 million player option see if he accepts.

What did Britton sign for? 3/39? Gives Kimbrel the chance to make the same amount of money in two years or hit the market again in a year if he wants win win for both clubs. By the trade deadline team with budget constraints will find his salary more manageable  after 105 ish games at that point it shrinks to around 7 million.

Edited by wrathofhahn

1 hour ago, LittleHurt05 said:

You can want to sign Kimbrel all you want, but just a reminder of the odds you are facing for it to actually happen:

https://www.mlb.com/whitesox/team/front-office

I don't think it will happen but still it's the offseason so why not?

We did something similar on a lesser scale with Soria last year it worked out well for both Soria and the Sox

33 minutes ago, SCCWS said:

I don't think Hahn would even consider giving up a draft pick on what looks like a short-term deal he will eventually get. 

Yup, plus it takes away from Colome & Herrera’s value.  The plan should be to run those guys out in the 9th and build up trade interest in them.  Honestly, the bullpen is the last place we should be looking to address right now.

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Yup, plus it takes away from Colome & Herrera’s value.  The plan should be to run those guys out in the 9th and build up trade interest in them.  Honestly, the bullpen is the last place we should be looking to address right now.

I'd rather have Kimbrel on a fair contract than those 2 guys.

Just now, Chicago White Sox said:

Sure, but we already have those guys and Kimbrel will cost a high 2nd round pick and a ton of money.  At this point it’s simply not an option.

I know. But after this offseason I've got nothing left to do other than vent, there's no sensible paths forward right now, so I may as well, it's a message board.

I need to coin a nickname for this offseason, something to sum up how this is the epitome of White Sox FO ineptitude. The Rick Hahn Classic? The Chronicles of Rick? The Chronicles of Losing, The GM, The Kenny, and The Owner? I dunno,  those suck. Will keep working.

14 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I know. But after this offseason I've got nothing left to do other than vent, there's no sensible paths forward right now, so I may as well, it's a message board.

I need to coin a nickname for this offseason, something to sum up how this is the epitome of White Sox FO ineptitude. The Rick Hahn Classic? The Chronicles of Rick? The Chronicles of Losing, The GM, The Kenny, and The Owner? I dunno,  those suck. Will keep working.

Yeah, it’s been a rough one, but least Hahn has already applauded himself for a succesful offseason.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

Sustained Suck-cesspool