3/10 vs A's, 3pm, whitesox.com

flavum

2 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

It is incredibly frustrating watching him in the 1st inning. A lot of the time it is just that 3rd out in the 1st that he has trouble with. He'll get the 1st 2 in order and then a couple of bloops and a blast and it is 3-0.  I want to continue supporting the guy because he looks the part with his stuff, but he just struggles so hard in the first 2 innings. 

At least it's still only ST. He very well could be working on something. At least the velocity is there and he had a nice curve to get the K in the first. Guy reminds me so much of Floyd it isn't even funny. 

Why the fuck are they calling for low fastballs??? This isn't 1985 anymore. Low fastballs might as well be right down the middle unless they're painting the corners. It is like the Sox haven't heard of launch angle. Low fastballs get crushed in this day and age. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

At least it's still only ST. He very well could be working on something. At least the velocity is there and he had a nice curve to get the K in the first. Guy reminds me so much of Floyd it isn't even funny. 

I know. I think he could be better than Floyd was but Gio has to get out of his own head. I think if he gets through the 1st 2 innings unscathed for like 3-4 consecutive starts it might be enough for him to get over the mental hurdle. 

When Giolito had success with much worse stuff than he has now in 2017 he was throwing a lot of high fastballs and using the curve off of that. Another case of fixing something that isn't broken. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

13 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

It is incredibly frustrating watching him in the 1st inning. A lot of the time it is just that 3rd out in the 1st that he has trouble with. He'll get the 1st 2 in order and then a couple of bloops and a blast and it is 3-0.  I want to continue supporting the guy because he looks the part with his stuff, but he just struggles so hard in the first 2 innings. 

I agree 1000%.

18 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

This is why I haven't given up on Giolito. I knew it would take time, but I always thought there was a good chance he'd figure out how to get the velocity back. 

Unfortunately even a velocity improvement can’t change the fact he’s a total headcase.  I haven’t given up on the kid, but I am far less optimistic than you are and don’t see TOR upside.

1 minute ago, vilehoopster said:

I agree 1000%.

I disagree with how they're having Giolito pitch. In 2017 he was throwing a lot of fastballs up in the zone and was using his curveball off of that, with great success at while sitting 91-92. He should do that again. 

Just now, Chicago White Sox said:

Unfortunately even a velocity improvement can’t change the fact he’s a total headcase.  I haven’t given up on the kid, but I am far less optimistic than you are and don’t see TOR upside.

He needs the ol Jon Garland treatment... drop the arm angle and throw sinkers. 

3 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I don't disagree about him being a headcase. I'm incredibly frustrated with the way the Sox have their pitchers pitch. They have them pitch like it is 1990 and not 2019. Sinkers, keep the fastball down, etc. It plays right into the offense's hands. It is like they've never heard of launch angle.  The sinker should be a defunct pitch for the time being. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

Just now, Jack Parkman said:

I don't disagree about him being a headcase. I'm incredibly frustrated with the way the Sox have their pitchers pitch. They have them pitch like it is 1990 and not 2019. Sinkers, keep the fastball down, etc. It plays right into the offense's hands. It is like they've never heard of launch angle. 

Cooper fixed a few pitchers like 6 years ago.  How dare you question if he can make the adjustments necessary to the new home run era of baseball!

1 minute ago, fathom said:

Cooper fixed a few pitchers like 6 years ago.  How dare you question if he can make the adjustments necessary to the new home run era of baseball!

yea, I don't get it either. Matt Thornton is his last true success story. Unless I'm forgetting someone, but since 2008, everyone's been forgettable. 

3 minutes ago, fathom said:

I used to really like Coop, but I'm thinking more and more that the game has passed him by. He's using outdated methods and pitches that used to work but don't anymore. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

Here's the deal:  Now that the Sox can't get Machado, they need to use that money to get other quality free agents or else they risk losing much of their fan base.  However, they don't seem interested in doing anything to improve the team free agent wise.  

That curveball was disgusting.....dude is such an enigma.

There he goes completely losing the zone after a quick 1st 2 outs again. 

Idk where that pitch was....I thought it was a good one but the ump disagreed. 

The good news is that he's getting ahead of most hitters this spring. Many more strike 1 and strike 2s. 

Edited by Jack Parkman