3/10 vs A's, 3pm, whitesox.com

flavum

23 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I don't disagree about him being a headcase. I'm incredibly frustrated with the way the Sox have their pitchers pitch. They have them pitch like it is 1990 and not 2019. Sinkers, keep the fastball down, etc. It plays right into the offense's hands. It is like they've never heard of launch angle.  The sinker should be a defunct pitch for the time being. 

He is not throwing 97 mph sinkers. The launch angle is much more effective against high fastballs. Low fastballs are much more likely to be hit into the ground. 

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, fathom said:

Yoan looked much better at the plate.  Protected on a pitch he definitely would have taken last year for called 3rd.

Yea, I really like the little bit I've seen. I still think we'll always see a high-K guy, but that raw talent is finally going to start producing results.

2 minutes ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

Yea, I really like the little bit I've seen. I still think we'll always see a high-K guy, but that raw talent is finally going to start producing results.

Biggest thing is he just needs to protect with 2 strikes.  With his speed and the shift teams put on him, all he has to do is chop it to the left side and he can walk to first base.  No reason he can't get 10-15 hits this way during a season.

7 minutes ago, ptatc said:

He is not throwing 97 mph sinkers. The launch angle is much more effective against high fastballs. Low fastballs are much more likely to be hit into the ground. 

Huh? I thought it was the complete opposite. Ive never heard that. Every article I've read is that launch angle was created specifically to combat low fastballs, and that it leaves a vulnerability up in the zone. My understanding was that the entire point of launch angle was to elevate low pitches instead of beating them into the ground. The data backs it up too. Sinkers and low fastballs had the highest BAA of any pitches in baseball. There was a fangraphs article about it last summer. I'll see if I can find it for you. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

3 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Huh? I thought it was the complete opposite. Ive never heard that. Every article I've read is that launch angle was created specifically to combat low fastballs, and that it leaves a vulnerability up in the zone. My understanding was that the entire point of launch angle was to elevate low pitches instead of beating them into the ground. The data backs it up too. Sinkers and low fastballs had the highest BAA of any pitches in baseball. There was a fangraphs article about it last summer. I'll see if I can find it for you. 

Launch angle wasnt "created." It has always existed.

Moncada playing good D at third and hitting is fantastic. 

Gio reminds me of Brandon McCarthy back when we had him in 2005.  However, I think Gio might get stronger and better than McCarthy.

I for one will remain patient with Gio.

6 minutes ago, tray said:

Moncada playing good D at third and hitting is fantastic. 

Gio reminds me of Brandon McCarthy back when we had him in 2005.  However, I think Gio might get stronger and better than McCarthy.

I for one will remain patient with Gio.

The bolded is not popular around these parts. 

32 minutes ago, ptatc said:

Not really. If you are throwing low RPM fastballs down in the zone, then yes they will be hit into the ground because of the sink. However that does not mean high fastballs are bad. If you throw a high fastball with a high RPM, then it will appear to rise because it doesn't sink as much as it should if it didn't have rotation, so hitters tend to swing under the ball and either miss or high a weak pop up. So you have to figure out what your pitch is like. Low RPM should work down and high RPM should work up.

Re low fb's v high fb's: How you want to attack the hitter depends a lot on which side of the plate they're hitting from. LH hitters have a natural uppercut, have trouble catching up to pitches up and destroy hangerd. RH hitters have trouble getting to balls down and in. There's obviously exceptions. Both pitches have always been and will always be effective depending on the hitter. 

Edited by TaylorStSox