3/10 vs A's, 3pm, whitesox.com

flavum

23 minutes ago, flavum said:

Ha, I do not. And Van Schouwen is away for a few days. He’s been good about showing that. Probably Nova tomorrow.

Looks like Nova tomorrow, Rodon vs Mariners / Evan Marshall @ Royals on Tuesday.

Mad Kenny coming thru! 

1 minute ago, Jack Parkman said:

What are you referring to? 

Ever since losing out on Machado, Hahn has utterly failed to use any of that money to get any new free agents to improve the team.

1 hour ago, GenericUserName said:

Not really. If you are throwing low RPM fastballs down in the zone, then yes they will be hit into the ground because of the sink. However that does not mean high fastballs are bad. If you throw a high fastball with a high RPM, then it will appear to rise because it doesn't sink as much as it should if it didn't have rotation, so hitters tend to swing under the ball and either miss or high a weak pop up. So you have to figure out what your pitch is like. Low RPM should work down and high RPM should work up.

Either way it's much easier for the hitter to hit and control a high fastball than a low one. The low fastball is either going straight into the ground or straight up hence the reason for the upper cut swing with the low ones. The only thing the rpm  does either straighten it out, the high rpm, or make it move more, low rpm. The question is a out the command in the zone moreso then the movement.

17 minutes ago, ptatc said:

Either way it's much easier for the hitter to hit and control a high fastball than a low one. The low fastball is either going straight into the ground or straight up hence the reason for the upper cut swing with the low ones. The only thing the rpm  does either straighten it out, the high rpm, or make it move more, low rpm. The question is a out the command in the zone moreso then the movement.

Much harder to catch up to high gas than to drop your bat on a lower one. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Insp said:

Hahn must be really satisfied with himself after seeing two of his guys in a row fly out on the first pitch.......

It makes you wonder what the offseason strategy really was. They acted like they wanted Manny and/or Harper. But all their acquisitions for our young team were old stiffs. Very weird. I can't imagine Hahn and Jerry want to lose 100 games again but maybe Jerry fell in love with the low payroll/high profit season. McCann, Jay and Alonso are guys nobody wants to see play baseball at the MLB level. I mean at least Avi and Davidson were recognizable names and I'd have to believe I'm not the only fan who loved both those guys. There must be others.

44 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Much harder to catch up to high gas than to drop your bat on a lower one. 

It's also much easier too make hard contact to put up it over the fence or hit a line drive. 

2 hours ago, ptatc said:

It's also much easier too make hard contact to put up it over the fence or hit a line drive. 

No it isn't. It is easier to hit a ball harder on a ball middle to low than in the upper part of the zone. When a pitcher hangs a breaking ball in the upper part of the zone, it is harder to make solid contact with it. I will disagree and continue until the end of time that pitchers get shelled less often when they pitch at the top of the zone vs at the bottom. I wish I could do batted ball data, but of the pitches that get hit really hard, I'd bet that more that were hit hard were heart-lower than upper. It is hard to even hit a hanging breaking ball at the top of the zone. The reason I believe this is because it is harder to get good wood at the top of the zone. A hitter will either be underneath, on top, or miss completely the majority of the time. When a hitter does get decent wood on a ball. I want to know what percentage of HRs come at the upper 3rd of the zone. I don't think it is high and I think that far more HRs come at the lower part of the zone than in the upper part, just because of launch angle. It is just much harder to time a high pitch than a low one to get good wood on it. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

2 hours ago, greg775 said:

It makes you wonder what the offseason strategy really was. They acted like they wanted Manny and/or Harper. But all their acquisitions for our young team were old stiffs. Very weird. 

Not weird for them. Tired old stiffs is how Hahn tried to build a team from 2014-16.  The plan was to sign Machado for below market and improve the bullpen.  So they signed 2 stiffs to help lure Machado and traded a catcher that they didn't like (but who could hit) for an average closer that Seattle dangled.

3 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

I can't believe how many people are actively tuning in to complain about spring training games and results.  At least the game threads are in mid season form.

The complainers never need spring training to get in shape 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Jack Parkman said:

No it isn't. It is easier to hit a ball harder on a ball middle to low than in the upper part of the zone. When a pitcher hangs a breaking ball in the upper part of the zone, it is harder to make solid contact with it. I will disagree and continue until the end of time that pitchers get shelled less often when they pitch at the top of the zone vs at the bottom. I wish I could do batted ball data, but of the pitches that get hit really hard, I'd bet that more that were hit hard were heart-lower than upper. It is hard to even hit a hanging breaking ball at the top of the zone. The reason I believe this is because it is harder to get good wood at the top of the zone. A hitter will either be underneath, on top, or miss completely the majority of the time. When a hitter does get decent wood on a ball. I want to know what percentage of HRs come at the upper 3rd of the zone. I don't think it is high and I think that far more HRs come at the lower part of the zone than in the upper part, just because of launch angle. It is just much harder to time a high pitch than a low one to get good wood on it. 

I would disagree. Watch any game. There is a reason most pitches are low. It much tougher to get good contact there. Very few pitchers can pitch high in the zone and get away with it. 

17 minutes ago, ptatc said:

I would disagree. Watch any game. There is a reason most pitches are low. It much tougher to get good contact there. Very few pitchers can pitch high in the zone and get away with it. 

I'm not talking about wheelhouse pitches, I'm talking about pitches in the general area of the letters. Slightly below to slightly above. Hitters don't get good wood on that too often. They'll either pop it up, whiff  or beat it into the ground more often than not. You're talking about wheelhouse, which I'd say would be from below the letters to the knees. There is only one pitch that will definitely get destroyed up there and that is the changeup. Go back and watch some of Quintana's most dominant starts with the Sox and he lived in that area with his fastball. They couldn't touch it. 

High hard, slow low. It has been the winning formula for ages. You only go low with the fastball when they're least expecting it. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

8 hours ago, elrockinMT said:

The complainers never need spring training to get in shape 

Well, then the Sox need to provide some reasons to be optimistic.

What are they this spring, exactly?  Mendick becoming a utility player to eventually replace Yolmer or Leury?

Alonso has looked good, but most of the board wants to limit his playing time to keep his option from vesting, or even trade him now. 

Robert is the man, but he has to stay on the field.  Fulmer looks even worse than before, if that’s possible.  Fry looks like a mess, too.  Young players can’t get their brains beaten in every time out like a veteran...it starts to undermine their confidence.

Also would like to see more of Collins and Madrigal....since everyone we trot out at 2B and C isn’t part of the playoff-contending  future.

12 hours ago, ptatc said:

Go to a batting cage and see what is easier. Much, much harder to hit a high fastball. Fangraphs had an article about it several years ago. The high fastball is the most effective pitch in baseball. Off speed stuff high is meat. 

1 hour ago, Dick Allen said:

Go to a batting cage and see what is easier. Much, much harder to hit a high fastball. Fangraphs had an article about it several years ago. The high fastball is the most effective pitch in baseball. Off speed stuff high is meat. 

Then why don't pitchers just throw high fastball all the time? The high pitch is only effective when it is used after the lower pitches are the norm. The caveat being at the top of the current strike zone. Back in the day when they called armpit high pitches a strike I would agree. But in today's game where a pitch at the belt is the highest strike, it doesn't work. Those pitches get crushed.