What Kind of Rebuild is This?

Insp

3 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

I can't speak for everyone but I was damn excited during the two time periods I listed. 1977 and 2005 were one year wonders. To do something sustained is the mark of excellence and the two runs I mentioned while not Yankee or brave like were still worth mentioning. As I said they aren't chopped liver to be dismissed out of hand or tossed in the garbage.

That's plain nuts.

It's pretty interesting how back in the day you used to be one of the most stalwart critics of the Reinsdorf regime.  NOw, you are one of its biggest apologists.  What happened?  Is this a sign of just how dire things have become for sportswriters that you feel the need to be goody-goody with Reinsdorf and his cabal in the hopes of getting a job in Sox public relations?

2 hours ago, Insp said:

It's pretty interesting how back in the day you used to be one of the most stalwart critics of the Reinsdorf regime.  NOw, you are one of its biggest apologists.  What happened?  Is this a sign of just how dire things have become for sportswriters that you feel the need to be goody-goody with Reinsdorf and his cabal in the hopes of getting a job in Sox public relations?

He's most definitely not easing up on Reinsdorf...quite the opposite, actually.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Insp said:

I am a long-time critic of Reinsdorf, but even I can recognize some of the good things his organization has done. The early 90's was a good time to be a Sox fan.  But then came 1994 and the White Flag Trade and things soured. So I think your attack on Lip is off base.

What has been frustrating about this regime is that it seems to turn a corner and then things fall apart.  A bad trade or key injury and all of a sudden it is back to non-contention.  But no one is an apologist by being objective about the positive. Although I will say this organization fell asleep at the wheel at the beginning of this decade, and that is why the team is taking the drastic option of tanking as a way to rebuild. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Insp said:

OK....

Whatever you say sir.

😏

1 hour ago, NWINFan said:

I am a long-time critic of Reinsdorf, but even I can recognize some of the good things his organization has done. The early 90's was a good time to be a Sox fan.  But then came 1994 and the White Flag Trade and things soured. So I think your attack on Lip is off base.

What has been frustrating about this regime is that it seems to turn a corner and then things fall apart.  A bad trade or key injury and all of a sudden it is back to non-contention.  But no one is an apologist by being objective about the positive. Although I will say this organization fell asleep at the wheel at the beginning of this decade, and that is why the team is taking the drastic option of tanking as a way to rebuild. 

Very true and that's where not being willing to spend money and having a bad farm system (again because JR admittedly refused to pay for potential) really killed them in years when injuries hit. 2001, 2004, 2007 and 2010 immediately come to mind.

10 hours ago, daggins said:

Not sure if its been posted but it's stark to see it laid out so clearly - it's us, the Royals, and the Cheapest Teams in Baseball

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2019/03/largest-contract-each-mlb-team.html

You should already know that in terms of market size we have the smallest fan base. There is almost nothing major league about our situation. We need to excel in talent development but our talent is developing injuries. 

Unless you count the 3 million fans from 2007.

How many of those bottom 10 franchises have neared the 3 million mark?

Maybe 2-2.5 million, or closer to 3 in first year of a new ballpark.

We're also going to end up with a Top 5-7 media/broadcasting rights deal in terms of overall revenues (local/national/MLBAM) if Hahn and Williams don't f$%k it up too badly before they have to renegotiate yet again in another five years down the line (2024).

On 3/11/2019 at 2:11 PM, caulfield12 said:

And they all eventually had to hit on the right GM, coaching/talent development and scouting staffs.

Since Moneyball, we have lost our two niches...keeping players healthy and Cooper.  I guess now it’s Renteria/Vizquel and so many Cuban/Latin players.

That doesn't involve putting your buddies and former players in the ranks.

I'm not sure what's up with all of these brittle players they seem to get.