Jump to content
South Sider

3/11 @ Brewers?

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, mqr said:

Those people were dumb. If your analysis is 'He looked good/bad in Spring' it needs to be thrown out. 

That wasn't the analysis. it was "He looked good in September AND had a velocity bump in spring" that is better logic than the results of spring. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Former Padre Spangenberg...competing with Saladino for last spot, blasts a 3 run homer.

7-0.

Cain blasts a hit, at .450.  Hit batter.  Still nobody out, lol.

But it’s just spring training!

 

Now Corey Ray, a reminder of our scouting failures with local Chicago area players...

 

Corey Ray was picked 5 picks before the White sox were able to pick him. 🤣

And he put up decent numbers last year for the first time in his professional career,

Overreacting to ST games is ridiculous enough, but to invent a narrative that Corey Ray is a Sox scouting failure is just hilarious.

Never change.

  • Love 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, GermanSoxFan said:

 

Corey Ray was picked 5 picks before the White sox were able to pick him. 🤣

And he put up decent numbers last year for the first time in his professional career,

Overreacting to ST games is ridiculous enough, but to invent a narrative that Corey Ray is a Sox scouting failure is just hilarious.

Never change.

It’s just the fact that we seemingly never end up with local players like Cliff Floyd, Granderson, Kipnis, Zobrist, etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

It’s just the fact that we seemingly never end up with local players like Cliff Floyd, Granderson, Kipnis, Zobrist, etc.

That doesn't explain what you said... Tell us how drafting 10th and not 5th in that draft is a "scouting failure."  

 

  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Nardiwashere said:

That doesn't explain what you said... Tell us how drafting 10th and not 5th in that draft is a "scouting failure."  

 

Selected by the Seattle Mariners [Team Picks] in the 33rd round (987th overall) of the 2013 Amateur Entry Draft

How did the Mariners of all teams scout him out of Simeon when he’s practically in our BACK YARD?  It’s the same thing Royals’ fans said for a decade after one of the Top 10 all-time hitters in Albert Pujols was parked at Maple Woods Community College, roughly 5 miles away from Kauffman Stadium.  

“For those who don’t know, Ray is a product of the much lauded White Sox ACE program, where they help grow the game of baseball on the Southside of Chicago and keep kids out of trouble. Ray then went on to star for Jackie Robinson West (RIP), Simeon and Louisville, a favorite program of one Nick Hostetler. After failing to get hometown kid Nick Burdi in the Rule 5 Draft my heart is aching for a nice storyline, so lets go check in on Corey Ray.”

https://www.letmebfrankblog.com/2018/01/10/white-sox-check-price-brewers-corey-ray/

 

I’ll restate it another way...we can’t even suck well enough to get talent at the top of the draft because of our classic Tier B veterans.

How can the Brewers go from drafting 5th in 2016 to one of the best teams in baseball two seasons later...while we ended up with a catcher who is just as likely to be a 1B/DH?

In actuality, that draft looks pretty bad right now...but they’ve still got time.

And if we can’t sign a Machado or Harper, if we don’t have any homegrown players (see Mauer in Minnesota), what prayer do we have of attracting 2.5-3 million in attendance again?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Selected by the Seattle Mariners [Team Picks] in the 33rd round (987th overall) of the 2013 Amateur Entry Draft

How did the Mariners of all teams scout him out of Simeon when he’s practically in our BACK YARD?  It’s the same thing Royals’ fans said for a decade after one of the Top 10 all-time hitters in Albert Pujols was parked at Maple Woods Community College, roughly 5 miles away from Kauffman Stadium.  

“For those who don’t know, Ray is a product of the much lauded White Sox ACE program, where they help grow the game of baseball on the Southside of Chicago and keep kids out of trouble. Ray then went on to star for Jackie Robinson West (RIP), Simeon and Louisville, a favorite program of one Nick Hostetler. After failing to get hometown kid Nick Burdi in the Rule 5 Draft my heart is aching for a nice storyline, so lets go check in on Corey Ray.”

https://www.letmebfrankblog.com/2018/01/10/white-sox-check-price-brewers-corey-ray/

 

I’ll restate it another way...we can’t even suck well enough to get talent at the top of the draft because of our classic Tier B veterans.

How can the Brewers go from drafting 5th in 2016 to one of the best teams in baseball two seasons later...while we ended up with a catcher who is just as likely to be a 1B/DH?

In actuality, that draft looks pretty bad right now...but they’ve still got time.

And if we can’t sign a Machado or Harper, if we don’t have any homegrown players (see Mauer in Minnesota), what prayer do we have of attracting 2.5-3 million in attendance again?

Joe Mauer was drafted first overall in the Mark Prior draft.  He wasn't some hidden scouting discovery the Twins made because he is from Minnesota.  

Are you saying Ray should have been chosen by the Sox in 2013?  Do you praise the Sox when they acquire Charlie Tilson and Burdi? 

  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Nardiwashere said:

Joe Mauer was drafted first overall in the Mark Prior draft.  He wasn't some hidden scouting discovery the Twins made because he is from Minnesota.  

Are you saying Ray should have been chosen by the Sox in 2013?  Do you praise the Sox when they acquire Charlie Tilson and Burdi? 

No, Tilson went to Hahn’s high school...that should have been the first warning sign.  Tilson was a Top Ten Cardinals’ prospect in the same way that Jerry Owens and Andy Gonzalez were for the Sox.

And Burdi’s fine, but we need a homegrown position player superstar if we categorically refuse to take the risk of overpaying for one.  Closers have such a short shelf life these days.  

Edited by caulfield12

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, caulfield12 said:

No, Tilson went to Hahn’s high school...

And Burdi’s fine, but we need a homegrown position player superstar if we categorically refuse to take the risk of overpaying for one.  Closers have such a short shelf life these days.  

And you are defining homegrown as LITERALLY growing up in Chicagoland area or Illinois (except if they went to New Trier)...

Why the hell does it matter where they were born?  This is the most bonkers take I've read in a long time.

  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Nardiwashere said:

And you are defining homegrown as LITERALLY growing up in Chicagoland area or Illinois (except if they went to New Trier)...

Why the hell does it matter where they were born?  This is the most bonkers take I've read in a long time.

At any rate, I guess we can still try to pick up Tim Tebow to sell some tickets.

When is the last time you heard someone say, ”Let’s check out that White Sox game tonight, Charlie Tilson’s starting...”  Said by no one other than his family members, ever.

https://www.playstation.com/en-us/games/mlb-the-show-19-ps4/?emcid=di-st-190052&utm_medium=Display&utm_campaign=20190304_siea_displaydirect_mlbtheshow&utm_source=&utm_term=di-st-190052&utm_content=MLB_The_Show

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

At any rate, I guess we can still try to pick up Tim Tebow to sell some tickets.

When is the last time you heard someone say, ”Let’s check out that White Sox game tonight, Charlie Tilson’s starting...”  Said by no one other than his family members, ever.

https://www.playstation.com/en-us/games/mlb-the-show-19-ps4/?emcid=di-st-190052&utm_medium=Display&utm_campaign=20190304_siea_displaydirect_mlbtheshow&utm_source=&utm_term=di-st-190052&utm_content=MLB_The_Show

huh?

Also... no one ever said let's go see Charlie Tilson.  I'm not the one advocating for more "non-New Trier position players from Illinois."  You are.  No one ever said let's go see Jason Kipnis either.

You're just complaining about nonsense at this point. 

Do you want them to get non-pitchers who lived in Illinois (but didn't attend New Trier) because you think it will help them win or because you are concerned about attendance figures? 

  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Nardiwashere said:

huh?

Also... no one ever said let's go see Charlie Tilson.  I'm not the one advocating for more "non-New Trier position players from Illinois."  You are.  No one ever said let's go see Jason Kipnis either.

You're just complaining about nonsense at this point. 

Do you want them to get non-pitchers who lived in Illinois (but didn't attend New Trier) because you think it will help them win or because you are concerned about attendance figures? 

Floyd, Granderson, Zobrist, Kipnis=good players

Tilson=AAAA fodder

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

It’s just the fact that we seemingly never end up with local players like Cliff Floyd, Granderson, Kipnis, Zobrist, etc.

It's hard to end up with local players if you don't have the chance to acquire local players...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Nardiwashere said:

Joe Mauer was drafted first overall in the Mark Prior draft.  He wasn't some hidden scouting discovery the Twins made because he is from Minnesota.  

Are you saying Ray should have been chosen by the Sox in 2013?  Do you praise the Sox when they acquire Charlie Tilson and Burdi? 

ALL PRAISE JEFF SAMARDJIZA!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Hard to believe Alek Thomas hasn't been brought up yet. 

Always pull for South Side guys, but I have a hard time counting the son of the White Sox strength coordinator as a South Side guy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

 

How can the Brewers go from drafting 5th in 2016 to one of the best teams in baseball two seasons later...while we ended up with a catcher who is just as likely to be a 1B/DH?

 

So Corey Ray is the reason the Brewers became a good team?  You just present a correlation that does not exist.

If moving the goalposts was an Olympic sport, you‘d be the favorite for the gold medal.

Edited by GermanSoxFan
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, GermanSoxFan said:

So Corey Ray is the reason the Brewers became a good team? 

If moving the goalposts was an Olympic sport, you‘d be the favorite for the gold medal.

If I've learned anything, Brewers became a good team because they signed a lot of position players from Wisconsin.  That's the secret recipe for team building.

  • Love 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Nardiwashere said:

If I've learned anything, Brewers became a good team because they signed a lot of position players from Wisconsin.  That's the secret recipe for team building.

The fact is, if you just randomly had the White Sox ONLY drafting high school and collegiate players from Florida, Texas or California, they'd be MUCH better off than they are now.

Forget about scouting the entire country or regions, just be the expert/master of SOMETHING, ANYTHING WILL DO.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Nardiwashere said:

If I've learned anything, Brewers became a good team because they signed a lot of position players from Wisconsin.  That's the secret recipe for team building.

How did the Brewers go from the #5 pick in 2016 when we simultaneously drafted Collins at #10 and then "rebuild/retool" to a nearly World Series team in the span of just two years?????

It must have been Junior Guerra, Saladino, Soria, Swarzak, Jennings, Avilan and Matt Fat Albers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×