Sox Claim Josh Osich

ChiSox59

Without adding Machado or Harper this offseason, a Joc trade would now be asinine.  After missing out on the big two, the Sox likely won’t be competing much this year or next year with or without Joc.  Machado was good for 5-6 wins.  Unless they locked Joc up long-term it doesn’t make sense.  The Sox have enough OF prospects that they shouldn’t waste talent on two years of Joc.

Edited by Harper2Sox
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Harper2Sox said:

Without adding Machado or Harper this offseason, a Joc trade would now be asinine.  After missing out on the big two, the Sox likely won’t be competing much this year or next year with or without Joc.  Machado was good for 5-6 wins.  Unless they locked Joc up long-term it doesn’t make sense.  The Sox have enough OF prospects that they shouldn’t waste talent on two years of Joc.

Interestingly, one of the projection systems only had the Padres winning two more games with Machado as compared to someone like W. Myers or France or Greg Garcia trying to play there.

I mean, there is never a problem in claiming a guy.  You can always try to sneak him through waivers again and off the 40 man, and if he gets claimed, you didn't really lose anything.  I don't think the move should be criticized, and clearly they like something about this dude.  But its definitely difficult to see what that may be from my vantage point.  

2 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I mean, there is never a problem in claiming a guy.  You can always try to sneak him through waivers again and off the 40 man, and if he gets claimed, you didn't really lose anything.  I don't think the move should be criticized, and clearly they like something about this dude.  But its definitely difficult to see what that may be from my vantage point.  

There's nothing wrong with adding arms to Charlotte, the Knights have to play games too.

4 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

There's nothing wrong with adding arms to Charlotte, the Knights have to play games too.

They might outdraw us some nights...especially when they have some really cool giveaway up items.

http://www.milb.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?t=l_att&lid=117&sid=l117

The Knights were first in the International League at nearly 9,000 per game.  There’s a business aspect to having winning/playoff teams at the AA and AAA level...you want to keep your best affiliates happy with their player development agreements.

23 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

They might outdraw us some nights...especially when they have some really cool giveaway up items.

http://www.milb.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?t=l_att&lid=117&sid=l117

The Knights were first in the International League at nearly 9,000 per game.  There’s a business aspect to having winning/playoff teams at the AA and AAA level...you want to keep your best affiliates happy with their player development agreements.

I don't want to hear anyone on this site complain about attendance again...our AAA affiliate draws great and those players will be here someday and bring their fans with them :cool:

• Haha 1

The good news is that if the Sox decide to try to push him back into the minors, he has already made it through the NL without being claimed.  I do like that he has an option.

Also scouting reports from a few years back...

https://www.minorleagueball.com/2015/7/4/8891965/who-is-giants-rookie-josh-osich

It has never been a matter of stuff for Osich: his fastball sits at 93 MPH and can touch 96, very impressive for a southpaw. He also has an upper-80s slider (which can also touch 90 according to PITCHf/x at least) and will mix in an occasional low-80s change-up. He's overpowering when on and is effective against both left-handed and right-handed hitters, so he doesn't have to be confined to LOOGY work.

Osich still needs to sharpen his command and durability is probably going to be an issue given his track record. But lefties with his kind of stuff aren't easy to find and we should be seeing him in big league pens for some time.

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/evaluating-the-2016-prospects-san-francisco-giants/

Osich has a fun selection of pitches with which to work, starting with a straight mid-90s fastball that isn’t even close to his best offering. It really only serves to get hitters off his two best pitches, a hard, downward-breaking cutter and a changeup with split movement. He’ll start the 2016 season in the Giants’ bullpen and may eventually settle into the late-innings mix with closer potential.

3 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

The good news is that if the Sox decide to try to push him back into the minors, he has already made it through the NL without being claimed.  I do like that he has an option.

Also scouting reports from a few years back...

https://www.minorleagueball.com/2015/7/4/8891965/who-is-giants-rookie-josh-osich

They'll probably try to sneak him through when teams are trimming their 40-man to add NRIs from Spring Training.