Mlb experimenting with rule changes in independent league

Dominikk85

1 hour ago, GenericUserName said:

The only thing I don't like about this is that they are doing all these changes at once so it will be difficult to correctly attribute the causes of the different results.

I hate the concept of changing the mound position mid season. Do it at the start or not at all. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I hate the concept of changing the mound position mid season. Do it at the start or not at all. 

Well, people think that this will help to catch up to the ever-rising velocity.  The side take on this is with all of the pitch design work and movement focus it will give that 95 mph two-seamer another two feet to work as well.  Sliders will get more room to break as well.  2 extra feet works both ways.   

6 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I thought that was weird, but going back to what I disliked, maybe its so there are two distinct data sets to see exactly how it effects the game. I do think its going to be really weird and the first few games are probably going to have a ton of walks and passed balls.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, GenericUserName said:

The only thing I don't like about this is that they are doing all these changes at once so it will be difficult to correctly attribute the causes of the different results.

This is the correct take. You change all these things basically at the same time and you have no idea which change causes which outcomes. They are at least staggering the mound distance change but it may be confounded with end of season fatigue.

Please baseball, outlaw the shift. The shifting must stop since baseball players for the most part refuse to bunt the ball where there's a lot of open space to combat the shift.

Is it against baseball's unwritten rules to bunt to break the shift? Or is it simply not manly? Left handed pull hitters try to pull the ball no matter the fact there are three players on the right side including a second baseman in right field. Sad. All they gotta do is shift their body completely and bunt it to third.

Edited by greg775

39 minutes ago, greg775 said:

Please baseball, outlaw the shift. The shifting must stop since baseball players for the most part refuse to bunt the ball where there's a lot of open space to combat the shift.

Is it against baseball's unwritten rules to bunt to break the shift? Or is it simply not manly? Left handed pull hitters try to pull the ball no matter the fact there are three players on the right side including a second baseman in right field. Sad. All they gotta do is shift their body completely and bunt it to third.

ever try to consistently get a bunt down on a guy throwing 95 inside?  If it was easy, they'd have already made the adjustment.  For a right handed batter a drag bunt down the 3rd base line is one of the hardest things to execute in baseball.  Lefties have it a bit easier but still not easy.

I think many of these rules changes are fucking stupid honestly.  Moving the mound is a NON STARTER.  It's like moving the height of the basketball hoop.  You can't do it.  I don't even know why they are making these Indy leaguers do it. The only change I like is having a robo ump and maybe the three batter limit.

Again, banning where guys can stand defensively?  That just doesn't make any sense man.  It's against the spirit of the game as it's been played for over 100 years now.   

13 hours ago, chitownsportsfan said:

ever try to consistently get a bunt down on a guy throwing 95 inside?  If it was easy, they'd have already made the adjustment.  For a right handed batter a drag bunt down the 3rd base line is one of the hardest things to execute in baseball.  Lefties have it a bit easier but still not easy.

I think many of these rules changes are fucking stupid honestly.  Moving the mound is a NON STARTER.  It's like moving the height of the basketball hoop.  You can't do it.  I don't even know why they are making these Indy leaguers do it. The only change I like is having a robo ump and maybe the three batter limit.

Again, banning where guys can stand defensively?  That just doesn't make any sense man.  It's against the spirit of the game as it's been played for over 100 years now.   

The mound actually was moved back in the 19th century. It used to be like 50 feet.

I think the bigger bases may be fun. I think finding ways to adding the run game more effectively back into baseball is a good thing. Stolen bases are fun, the players that found incredible value stealing bases were fun.

edit: It wasn't mentioned in op but one of the changes is increasing size of bag from 15 inches to 18 inches

7 minutes ago, Jake said:

They also used to pitch underhand.

And you had to throw it where the hitter wanted it and there weren't foul balls and you could just throw a ball at a player to get them out and you played until a certain number of runs instead of innings and on and on and on. There have been so many rule changes to baseball over the years yet still any time people want to change one small part of the game people get upset about things like the "purity" of the game. Its all so stupid. You evolve or you die. The key is figuring out how to evolve to make it better and not worse.

• Thanks 1

On 3/12/2019 at 8:50 PM, chitownsportsfan said:

Chitown: I don't think you have to drag bunt it. You have so much time, just completely shift your body and give away the fact you are bunting. There's so much open space you'll still beat out the bunt try. No need to drag it. Just plop it out there. One guy can't cover the whole left side of the diamond when a lefty is batting.

2 hours ago, greg775 said:

Chitown: I don't think you have to drag bunt it. You have so much time, just completely shift your body and give away the fact you are bunting. There's so much open space you'll still beat out the bunt try. No need to drag it. Just plop it out there. One guy can't cover the whole left side of the diamond when a lefty is batting.

Still don't think it's easy.  I'd like to see a larger sample before any drastic, game altering changes are made.  If in 5 years the game is now 80% TTO then fine, make some fucking changes.  We ain't there yet and things in baseball have a way of levelling off without rules changes historically -- granted with fairly high water marks for various styles.