Hamilton with “minor” shoulder setback

caulfield12

1 hour ago, default said:

For an average Joe, I can completely understand this approach.   Are there any stats on how often this actually works with MLB pitchers?   

Purely dependent on the injury. Unfortunately we rarely get the complete picture of the issues.

11 hours ago, ptatc said:

Purely dependent on the injury. Unfortunately we rarely get the complete picture of the issues.

Hey @ptatc has there been any updates on that primary repair surgery that was supposed to have a faster recovery for less significant tears that a STL pitcher did? I saw that he was cut and was in independent league, but he wasn't very good before. 

5 minutes ago, bmags said:

Hey @ptatc has there been any updates on that primary repair surgery that was supposed to have a faster recovery for less significant tears that a STL pitcher did? I saw that he was cut and was in independent league, but he wasn't very good before. 

I'm not sure what the injury was with that pitcher. It really depends on the injury. They've made advances with rotator cuff surgeries recently, especially using PRP. For these injuries it really depends on the location and extent of the tear. For small tears they've started using a "Mini" open procedure that allows more access to the area and the repairs are getting really good results. For severe ones they've started using cadaver tissue to stabilize the joint. This is seeing really good results but the rehab is much longer.

Labral and capsular (Danks) repairs haven't had significant advances recently. 

14 minutes ago, ptatc said:

I'm not sure what the injury was with that pitcher. It really depends on the injury. They've made advances with rotator cuff surgeries recently, especially using PRP. For these injuries it really depends on the location and extent of the tear. For small tears they've started using a "Mini" open procedure that allows more access to the area and the repairs are getting really good results. For severe ones they've started using cadaver tissue to stabilize the joint. This is seeing really good results but the rehab is much longer.

Labral and capsular (Danks) repairs haven't had significant advances recently. 

Yeah this was for UCLs where they, in my basic understanding, could just tape a fairly healthy though torn UCL to the bone which allowed faster recovery.

This was the PRP I was talking about (did not know it was a common term)

https://www.stack.com/a/new-tommy-john-surgery-promises-to-cut-rehab-time-in-half

And this was the player (Seth Maness)

https://www.stltoday.com/sports/baseball/professional/maness-a-trailblazer-new-surgery-for-elbow-repair-cuts-recovery/article_165ee721-5a36-58f9-8d8e-fb515ba037da.html

I guess it's been done about 100 times but this was the first mlb player to do it, mostly done on younger high schoolers.

edit: I can see why it's confusing that I asked a UCL question in a shoulder injury thread.

1 hour ago, bmags said:

Yeah this was for UCLs where they, in my basic understanding, could just tape a fairly healthy though torn UCL to the bone which allowed faster recovery.

This was the PRP I was talking about (did not know it was a common term)

https://www.stack.com/a/new-tommy-john-surgery-promises-to-cut-rehab-time-in-half

And this was the player (Seth Maness)

https://www.stltoday.com/sports/baseball/professional/maness-a-trailblazer-new-surgery-for-elbow-repair-cuts-recovery/article_165ee721-5a36-58f9-8d8e-fb515ba037da.html

I guess it's been done about 100 times but this was the first mlb player to do it, mostly done on younger high schoolers.

edit: I can see why it's confusing that I asked a UCL question in a shoulder injury thread.

Sorry. They a getting good results. The basic advantage of the repair is that the tissue doesnt need to die then regenerate like in a reconstruction.  So the time is greatly reduced. It needs to be a small tear because the repair needs a certain amount of viable tissue to reconnect during the healing process. The thing they dont know is that if the repair will hold up under the stress of the really hard throwers. The younger pitchers will have a better chance of healing than the older ones and the new way of pitching with throwing as hard as you can can for as long as you can isn't as drastic with high school level pitchers.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, ptatc said:

Sorry. They a getting good results. The basic advantage of the repair is that the tissue doesnt need to die then regenerate like in a reconstruction.  So the time is greatly reduced. It needs to be a small tear because the repair needs a certain amount of viable tissue to reconnect during the healing process. The thing they dont know is that if the repair will hold up under the stress of the really hard throwers. The younger pitchers will have a better chance of healing than the older ones and the new way of pitching with throwing as hard as you can can for as long as you can isn't as drastic with high school level pitchers.

Thanks that makes sense.