2019 MLB Catch All thread

southsider2k5

22 minutes ago, bmags said:

stuff like this still kills me:

https://theathletic.com/957782/

Twins hire really smart front office, they model organization to be on same page all the way down to managers office, and will be able to get some immediate benefits with wins and stealing a division even before they get full traction.

I was laughed at a couple weeks ago when I said the Twins will be the Sox biggest rival for the first few years of the Sox contention window. I was also dismissed when I said they had a good shot of winning the division this year and pointed out their WS odds (per fangraphs) were comparable to WS contenders like the Cubs and Phillies. @OneDog847 even told me their rebuild was a bust. They made the playoffs two years ago and will likely make it again this year. They are the most likely division favorite next year as well. They’re going to be a handful for teams in the AL Central over the next several years. 

4 hours ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

I was laughed at a couple weeks ago when I said the Twins will be the Sox biggest rival for the first few years of the Sox contention window. I was also dismissed when I said they had a good shot of winning the division this year and pointed out their WS odds (per fangraphs) were comparable to WS contenders like the Cubs and Phillies. @OneDog847 even told me their rebuild was a bust. They made the playoffs two years ago and will likely make it again this year. They are the most likely division favorite next year as well. They’re going to be a handful for teams in the AL Central over the next several years. 

Again, the Twins had the #1 ranked farm system in baseball in 2014. 5 years later and they have zero playoff victories to show for it. Their rebuild has been a bust so far. What they do this year and next is still to be determined. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, OneDog847 said:

Again, the Twins had the #1 ranked farm system in baseball in 2014. 5 years later and they have zero playoff victories to show for it. Their rebuild has been a bust so far. What they do this year and next is still to be determined. 

No one competes the first 2-3 years after the start of a full rebuild. So throwing out 5 years as some type of long timeframe is ridiculous. Realistically, two years ago was the start of their contention window and they made the playoffs. They had a disappointing season last year but are right back to being in a great position to make the playoffs again this year. It’s very premature to call their rebuild a “bust” as we stand here today. Now if they are sitting here with no playoff wins come three years from now, then I would agree with you. They’re approaching the peak in their rebuild while the Indians are trending down so let’s see how this plays out first before declaring bust.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

No one competes the first 2-3 years after the start of a full rebuild. So throwing out 5 years as some type of long timeframe is ridiculous. Realistically, two years ago was the start of their contention window and they made the playoffs. They had a disappointing season last year but are right back to being in a great position to make the playoffs again this year. It’s very premature to call their rebuild a “bust” as we stand here today. Now if they are sitting here with no playoff wins come three years from now, then I would agree with you. They’re approaching the peak in their rebuild while the Indians are trending down so let’s see how this plays out first before declaring bust.

The Twins rebuild began in 2012. That is 7 years with no playoff victories.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Who cares, their new front office was hired prior to 2017, they've been on jobs for 2 years and already have a playoff appearance and appear likely to contend for central this year, and are looking like they will be able to be reall solid soon with Kiriloff, lewis and larnach.

They aren't the same group now since 2012, and Falvey and Lavine seem to be really smart and experimental.

Their team this year is playing really fun interesting ball. Despite a much smaller revenue outlook, they seem like they are just as likely to content for next decade as the white sox.

On 5/3/2019 at 12:52 PM, bmags said:

Who cares, their new front office was hired prior to 2017, they've been on jobs for 2 years and already have a playoff appearance and appear likely to contend for central this year, and are looking like they will be able to be reall solid soon with Kiriloff, lewis and larnach.

They aren't the same group now since 2012, and Falvey and Lavine seem to be really smart and experimental.

Their team this year is playing really fun interesting ball. Despite a much smaller revenue outlook, they seem like they are just as likely to content for next decade as the white sox.

Agree. I said it weeks ago, they are the biggest divisional threat to the Sox during the Sox’ anticipated contention window.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

As of right now, Glasnow is out 4-6 weeks with a forearm strain.

It looked bad live, we don't know if he's going to come back though. Usually these things flare up after rest and end up with TJS.  He threw a curveball and immediately called for the trainer. If Glasnow wasn't pitching like an ace, I think he'd already be ticketed for TJS. I don't blame the Rays for trying to see if they can get him back this year with how well he was pitching

Edited by Jack Parkman

1 hour ago, South Sider said:

What would we have had to trade to land Yelich?

And would you have done it? 

The Brewers sent 4 players in that deal.  The top ranked prospect, Brinson, was top 20 at the time. They received 2 top 100 prospects, and the additional pieces are decent. Based on where the White Sox's guys were ranked at the time, something like Kopech, Dunning, Burger, and Burdi, would have been roughly comparable value at the time, and you might have to nibble around for some alternate players if the Marlins scouts didn't like some of our guys, which they obviously would have been right to do. 

Brinson had started to lose some shine from his poor showing and krate. I'm not sure he would have survived top 20 another re-ranking. But yes I think kopech dunning burger burdi would have been worth it and could have possibly beaten the marlins.

I would have bet the sox would have had to put robert on table though.

I see the Twins are plus five in the ALC and plus nine elsewhere. The Tribe are minus three in the ALC and plus eight outside. Sox are plus one in their division and minus four against the rest with no IL games. 

21 minutes ago, bmags said:

Which stats site would allow me to look at production by position for each team?

Something like

LF - PAs ABs H 2b 3b HR BB K BA OBP OPS 

etc

Is there an easy place to find this?

Something like this?

https://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=lf&stats=bat&lg=all&qual=0&type=0&season=2019&month=0&season1=2019&ind=0&team=0,ts&rost=0&age=0&filter=&players=0

3 minutes ago, OmarComing25 said:

Thanks, it's this data but just wondering if all positions can be in one table? like white sox as the filter, and all of their positions on the left and corresponding stats to the right. This works fine I just have to keep copying it over to remember.