2019 MLB Catch All thread

southsider2k5

13 hours ago, bmags said:

I had avoided reading astroball because I thought it would make me too sad about how the sox are basic, but finally bit bullet and ordered Lindbergh/Sawchik's the MVP machine and Astroball.

I'm about to start Powerball by Rob Neyer which seems kinda sorta similar. Let me know how you like Astroball. 

17 hours ago, greg775 said:

Did the Twins ever have to tank to get this good? If so how long were they crap? I don't recall a long tankjob but I could be mistaken.

Engage internets 

Open google

search "twins record year by year"

become astounded by the accuracy of the internets 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Love 1

On 5/22/2019 at 11:30 PM, Jose Abreu said:

I'm about to start Powerball by Rob Neyer which seems kinda sorta similar. Let me know how you like Astroball. 

It was good, short read, I'd recommend checking it out from the library.

Interestingly the softer stuff like adding Beltran and his influence, and JD Martinez, were some of the most interesting parts.

One of the big things that stuck out to me:

- Though the astros had a reputation as arrogant, its clear in the book they are constantly evaluating what they don't know and clear that they don't know everything and are striving to close that gap.

- I can't help but compare that to the white sox, who to me in my attending seminars at soxfest and interviews, really seem to want to intimate that they know how to build a winning ball club. ANd yeah, they use analytics, but that cant be your whole decision maker. 

Also thought of the Pirates. In big data baseball, the pirates really were pioneers in shifting and mixing that with a pitching plan to maximize the shifts that ended up emphasizing their 2 seamers for sinking action. But they have become ridgid in that philosophy, seemingly force fitting glasnow and cole into that box that the rays and astros just quickly turned around. Not with mechanical tweaks, mostly just pitch mix.

To constantly get better you cannot be arrogant that you know how to make a winning team.

• Like 1

Wonder if this had something to do with that seemingly very team friendly extension he signed last offseason.

Carlos Carrasco, who was slated to make Wednesday’s start against the Twins, has been placed on the 10-day injured list, retroactive to Sunday, due to a blood condition not sustained on the field.

The 32-year-old Carrasco was recently diagnosed with a blood condition after feeling lethargic for several weeks. Because Carrasco is still trying to gather as much information on his condition as possible, he has decided to step away from baseball activities to find the best recovery options. His timetable to return is unknown, but he is expected to rejoin the team at some point this season.

3 minutes ago, SoxAce said:

He's always been a huge douche.

No argument here. I saw the highlight. Muncy didn't do anything egregious but as soon as Muncy hit first Bumgarner was jawing. Only reason I posted it is because some have discussed Bumgarner to the Sox in the offseason so you wonder how he'd jive with the new school mindset of this team

• 2 weeks later...