2019 MLB Catch All thread

southsider2k5

17 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

National League Central is an interesting race. Looks like no team wants to actually "win it" by playing well. Mediocrity rules! 

I makes the game more interesting.  Watch the Cardinals rise about those ashes.

On ‎7‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 7:53 AM, Moan4Yoan said:

Roid-rage.  He’s probably more upset about the bone spur in his right elbow and his ERA nearing 5.

He's always been a ridiculous, self-important red-ass.  Easily one of my least favorite players, even when he's not playing for the Cubs.

Has anyone seen what Tony Clark said today? He wants to do away with the draft. Honestly, if he goes to court with it I think he'll win. They could still do a signing pool based on the average dollars spent in the draft, and I honestly think it might work, just like it does with the International FA. It would be interesting how sports would change if amateurs were free agents. It might hurt competitive balance a ton, but with what the NBA is showing us it seems like the fans prefer dynasties to competitive balance. If that is the case, it may lead to contraction in leagues instead of expansion, with less desirable locations no longer viable for sports. 

I've long been of the opinion that all sports leagues have overexpanded. Somewhere between 24-28 teams is the ideal number. 

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/mlbpa-director-tony-clark-voices-opposition-to-draft/

Edited by Jack Parkman

37 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Has anyone seen what Tony Clark said today? He wants to do away with the draft. Honestly, if he goes to court with it I think he'll win. They could still do a signing pool based on the average dollars spent in the draft, and I honestly think it might work, just like it does with the International FA. It would be interesting how sports would change if amateurs were free agents. It might hurt competitive balance a ton, but with what the NBA is showing us it seems like the fans prefer dynasties to competitive balance. If that is the case, it may lead to contraction in leagues instead of expansion, with less desirable locations no longer viable for sports. 

I've long been of the opinion that all sports leagues have overexpanded. Somewhere between 24-28 teams is the ideal number. 

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/mlbpa-director-tony-clark-voices-opposition-to-draft/

I hate this idea.  I much prefer competitive balance to the European model where only a few teams in each league take all of the top talent and there is no chance for most teams to ever win a title.  While there obviously cities and franchises with advantages here, it is nothing like you see in Europe. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jack Parkman said:

I don't know how anyone looks at the last free agency period in the NBA and thinks that its fans prefer dynasties to competitive balance. I certainly don't. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I don't know how anyone looks at the last free agency period in the NBA and thinks that its fans prefer dynasties to competitive balance. I certainly don't. 

They ought to repeal that law of supply and demand

1 hour ago, Balta1701 said:

If you look at tv ratings they get higher with dynasties than with competitive balance. It is weird, because I am with you. I don't like the lack of competitive balance either. I do maintain the thought that the leagues have overexpanded. I'm not happy that the NHL is going from 30 to 32 teams, I thought they should have just moved the Coyotes from Phoenix to Las Vegas. They wouldn't even have had to change the team name. There are already teams struggling to draw fans in every sport. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

8 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

If this ever happens the Sox will be in deep shit. They'll never put up the money it would take to sign some of these guys. The Yankees, Red Sox, Dodgers and Cubs would just clean up.

56 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

If this ever happens the Sox will be in deep shit. They'll never put up the money it would take to sign some of these guys. The Yankees, Red Sox, Dodgers and Cubs would just clean up.

Not necessarily. I'm not sure if you need a draft if you have a bonus cap similar to the international rules. You pool the players together and say each team has x amount of dollars based on previous year's standings. The worst team gets the most money and the WS champion gets the least. Sure, the top American prospect could sign with the WS champ, but that would take up a majority of their pool and they wouldn't get much else out of the class. You could also institute rules that prevent teams from talking to players until May 1st. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

11 hours ago, SoxAce said:

Angels combined no hitter with all the players wearing Skaggs jersey... pretty incredible. 

Due to the 2005 ALCS, I hate the Angels...but this was pretty awesome. Cool baseball moment. Cool human moment.

1 hour ago, fathom said:

How could you hate them?  They sucked against the Sox and kinda got screwed big time by Eddings

The ball bounced. And they whined terribly about that (correct) call, as if changing it would have won them the game (false), when they hit so poorly that our bullpen had to get all of two outs in the entire series.