A fair and balanced soliloquy about Jose Abreu, by ron

ron883

8 hours ago, BrianAnderson said:

Pay him his $18mm this year. And then I would entertain him on a 2-3 year deal at like $10-12mm a year as your DH/1B after that.  

Finally a great post regarding Jose and what they should do with him. This is what should happen.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Crickets from Ron....

The stakes are a bit too high on this one. Our front office is simply too unpredictable, and I just don't trust them to make the right choice. Non-tendering him may be the right decision as it can free up more money for Machado or Harper. Don't trust the FO to make the right decision? No. Sorry, but the bet is off. 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Hot FiRe said:

The stakes are a bit too high on this one. Our front office is simply too unpredictable, and I just don't trust them to make the right choice. Non-tendering him may be the right decision as it can free up more money for Machado or Harper. Don't trust the FO to make the right decision? No. Sorry, but the bet is off. 

Lol, you're funny.  You brought up the ban bet.

In no way shape or form is non-tendering Jose the right decision.  And the Sox have plenty of money to pay Machado or Harper with Jose.  The two are completely different and unrelated situations.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Hot FiRe said:

A 1 year contract in a year where we have barely double digits in millions of payroll committed is too high of stakes?

1 minute ago, southsider2k5 said:

A 1 year contract in a year where we have barely double digits in millions of payroll committed is too high of stakes?

The stakes of getting banned are too high. This isn't a bet I'm willing to take knowing our FO.

• Haha 2

• 4 months later...

https://mobile.twitter.com/whitesox/status/1105993145668517890

Is Jose really going to be the starter at 1st this year? Yonder is the better fielder of the two, and I have to imagine playing him at 1st will bolster his trade value. Abreu is such a butcher out there that he is injuring himself from deflections.... It is time to shift him to DH. It is long past that time, actually. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, ron883 said:

Is Jose really going to be the starter at 1st this year? Yonder is the better fielder of the two, and I have to imagine playing him at 1st will bolster his trade value. Abreu is such a butcher out there that he is injuring himself from deflections.... It is time to shift him to DH. It is long past that time, actually. 

Boy the training staff really is having a tough year. I can't believe the injuries.

Edited by ptatc

13 minutes ago, ron883 said:

Geez, I know people think I care about unimportant things sometimes but geez ... who cares?

Our team is going to stink. Let Abreu play first this season. There's absolutely no reason to play Yonder there. Accidents happen. He got hurt. Big deal. He'll be back.

3 minutes ago, greg775 said:

Geez, I know people think I care about unimportant things sometimes but geez ... who cares?

Our team is going to stink. Let Abreu play first this season. There's absolutely no reason to play Yonder there. Accidents happen. He got hurt. Big deal. He'll be back.

You get mad at the idea of an opener but you don't mind an awful fielding 1st baseman when we have a superior fielder on the team? I thought you were anti tank?

5 minutes ago, ron883 said:

You get mad at the idea of an opener but you don't mind an awful fielding 1st baseman when we have a superior fielder on the team? I thought you were anti tank?

I am anti tank, ron883, but as you know I love Abreu. Because of my love of certain players, I don't get mad regarding their deficiencies too often. I do despise the opener. It sickens me. But I love Abreu and Avi. I don't mind seeing Avi/Abreu butcher some plays since we are tanking/gonna finish last, etc. I am anti tank but I "accept the tank" is happening. (I need to look up and see how Avi is faring this preseason).

Edited by greg775

Get ready for some Greg anger: Avi!! Avi!! Avi!!

The guy is a hard worker and just hit a bomb. Makes absolutely no sense to give up on Avi when he's blocking nobody. Thanks Mr. Hahn.

https://www.tampabay.com/sports/2019/03/11/rays-journal-avisail-garcia-goes-deepest-on-6-homer-day-tommy-pham-scratched-from-lineup/

• Like 1

On 3/13/2019 at 7:31 PM, greg775 said:

The guy is a hard worker and just hit a bomb. Makes absolutely no sense to give up on Avi when he's blocking nobody. Thanks Mr. Hahn.

https://www.tampabay.com/sports/2019/03/11/rays-journal-avisail-garcia-goes-deepest-on-6-homer-day-tommy-pham-scratched-from-lineup/

I think this is the first time we’ve ever agreed in Soxtalk history. No need to give him up if we weren’t filling his void with someone more established.

• Like 2

On 3/13/2019 at 9:31 PM, greg775 said:

From another thread

18 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

For those missing Avi, sounds like he is missing us too... or at least baseballs.