A fair and balanced soliloquy about Jose Abreu, by ron

ron883

1 hour ago, Balta1701 said:

No but Jay is worse than Engel and Palka is worse than Avi, so the whole OF gets a downgrade.

Got it now. I think the increased offense of Jay and Jimenez will be worth this downgrade.  The defense will go down but overall WAR will go up.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, ptatc said:

Got it now. I think the increased offense of Jay and Jimenez will be worth this downgrade.  The defense will go down but overall WAR will go up.

Well yeah, Jiminez alone will be an improvement over whatever it was we put out in LF last year (Seriously this is amazing, leftfield by PAs, Delmonico - 268, Leury 103, Tilson 99, Palka 96, LaMarre 50, Thompson 17)

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

Well yeah, Jiminez alone will be an improvement over whatever it was we put out in LF last year (Seriously this is amazing, leftfield by PAs, Delmonico - 268, Leury 103, Tilson 99, Palka 96, LaMarre 50, Thompson 17)

Welcome to rebuilding.  I also think Jay will out produce what Engel did last year.

• 2 months later...

Abreu is sporting a very disappointing .290 OBP currently. It is no secret that he is on the decline. The dude can't field and is losing the ability to hit. Given our options for a 1st baseman and DH, do you see any reason to resign him? We've got Collins and Vaughn coming up in the near future. There are DH options in free agency like JD Martinez. Does Jose serve any purpose for this team next season and beyond? I think you gotta let him walk. He's a liability, especially when he demands that he play 1st base and not DH. 

I think your best chance to have a killer offense going forward is Vaughn at 1B, JDM at DH and Eloy in LF.  The goal should be to put together the best offense possible, and not just keep someone around because they're "good for the clubhouse".

1 hour ago, ron883 said:

Abreu is sporting a very disappointing .290 OBP currently. It is no secret that he is on the decline. The dude can't field and is losing the ability to hit. Given our options for a 1st baseman and DH, do you see any reason to resign him? We've got Collins and Vaughn coming up in the near future. There are DH options in free agency like JD Martinez. Does Jose serve any purpose for this team next season and beyond? I think you gotta let him walk. He's a liability, especially when he demands that he play 1st base and not DH. 

Hahn has publicly hinted recently that he expects Jose' to be with the organization for a long time. I personally think they will extend him. Not saying that's good or bad, that's the world of the White Sox.

Oh and getting J.D. Martinez to sign here is a fantasy.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, ron883 said:

I would love for that to be the case. However, I don't see it happening. Father time is undefeated.

He has a .267 BABIP and his career mark is .324, he's due for some positive regression.

That said, he serves no purpose after the Vaughn pick and with Collins knocking on the door. It might make sense to keep him for one more year (since Vaughn probably won't be ready *that* soon), but after 2020 I think there's no longer a fit. 

7 hours ago, Jose Abreu said:

He has a .267 BABIP and his career mark is .324, he's due for some positive regression.

That said, he serves no purpose after the Vaughn pick and with Collins knocking on the door. It might make sense to keep him for one more year (since Vaughn probably won't be ready *that* soon), but after 2020 I think there's no longer a fit. 

Always prefer to trade a year to early rather than a year to late.

2 hours ago, poppysox said:

Always prefer to trade a year to early rather than a year to late.

We obviously need to see how Abreu finishes the season, but the Sox should be far too smart to pay an aging Abreu anywhere close to market rate. 

Too soon to make a 2020 decision yet

10 hours ago, ron883 said:

I would love for that to be the case. However, I don't see it happening. Father time is undefeated.

father time is undefeated? someone has obviously forgotten about the PED era. when there are millions to be made, better living through chemistry rears its ugly head.

I wouldn't offer him more than 1 year for $10M, and I wouldn't bring him back after that. Vaughn is going to man 1B for the next decade, so Abreu has become redundant. Eloy and Collins can share DH. 

I really like 2014-2017 Abreu. 2018-19 Abreu is marginal. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

5 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Yawn, another Ron Abreu thread.

There is zero chance the Sox give Abreu the QO.  In fact, I'd probably offer him 2 years $18M right now, which may be under the QO value this year.  

Abreu would snatch up a QO so fast it would make your head spin

I wouldn't say he's losing his ability to hit. His HR's and doubles are rather normal. He'll probably finish with a nice season slugging % wise. He can't take walks well and that's starting to rear its head a bit. However, its like this forum really roots against Abreu sometimes. lol. Some are so quick and almost seemingly excited to proclaim his career over with. All he would need is a little run right now (not even a gargantuan one) to push his numbers up towards the impressive realm.

How about a 1 year contract with an option year 2?  Doubtful that Vaughan is up next year, at least not at the beginning of the year.  Plus the option year might yield more in a trade next year if Jose gets hot.