Eloy officially got paid

Jose Abreu

3 minutes ago, LittleHurt05 said:

Maybe the Sox forsee big changes in the upcoming labor dispute, so they want to lock him up before it would get 2x more expensive if the control time is changed.  But that's giving the Sox front office a little too much credit.

I think this is right.    The rumored deal doesn't make a whole lot of sense under the current system.  This move would seem to be in anticipation of changes to the CBA that would lead to higher and more fair salaries for younger players/those with less MLB service time.

Also, we know that the Sox love cost-certainty.  Being able to lock in Eloy's salary for the next 8 years is probably very appealing to them.

1 minute ago, Perfect Vision said:

I think this is right.    The rumored deal doesn't make a whole lot of sense under the current system.  This move would seem to be in anticipation of changes to the CBA that would lead to higher and more fair salaries for younger players/those with less MLB service time.

Also, we know that the Sox love cost-certainty.  Being able to lock in Eloy's salary for the next 8 years is probably very appealing to them.

So far, they have been burned anticipating the "new" system. They traded Jack McDowell because of it, And also "traded" Ray Durham AND cash for Jon Adkins because of it. 

This really has no benefit for the Sox, if the deal is $100M for through 2026 as reported (which it may not be).

Basically, this buys them one extra year of control, and probably around $30-40M for that one year. In other words, that probably is at-the-money if Eloy is in fact still at an All Star level at that point. What is the value there? The whole point of signing an early extension is financial security for the player, and reduced cost inflation for the club. Eloy gets his security in this deal, but the Sox don't get any discount value.

I am willing to be the deal is not these numbers, because no way the Sox would do this deal, no should they.

29 minutes ago, Chisox378 said:

I'm not looking to scare anybody but Eloy Jiminez 2019 Spring Training Stats:

26PA

.154 BA

9 K's

0 BB

Sox not developing players right.

I'm assuming you're being facetious, but if not...face palm yourself. That's not how this works, that's not how any of this works.

1 hour ago, ptatc said:

Payroll flexibility is a valid concern. The FO has no idea what the payroll will be in 5 years. If JR restricts the payroll to 120 can they field a competitive team with 25% going to a single 0layer?

What isn't a valid comment is saying that they couldn't go to 300 million. Go to more years and it drops the AAV like Harper got.

By my count, the White Sox spent $44ish million in new money this offseason if Santana makes the team. If I count Abreu as an "optional" player, which he is as we didn't have to offer him arbitration, that's $60 million in spending right there. If the VP is that worried about $50 million in player flexibility 8 years from now, then it is absolutely fair game to look at the moves made this offseason that spent $60 million and ask how they could have been done differently. Letting Kevan Smith walk and signing McCann is only $2 million, in the swing of things that isn't big, but if you're worried about flexibility 8 years down the road - that is your flexibility.

People are annoyed that I'm whining about paying market (or slightly above market) rates for guys like Colome and Herrera. It was mildly annoying when they did it as it was unnecessary, but that spending should have received an immediate target on its back from everyone once Kenny and the White Sox repeatedly complained to the media about needing payroll flexibility to sign their next core. 

These 2 matters are related. This is a person complaining about how they can't pay rent every month as they walk down to Starbucks for two daily $5 coffees.

8 hours ago, mqr said:

Today in ‘Reddit is Bad’: this seems to be a prevailing take. 

Heavens to Betsy

02226FDC-D89C-4F8A-9002-BB272D2C8095.jpeg

I just read that thread and damn you're right there were a lot of horrible takes there. I can't believe so many people are putting so much stock in 26 Spring Training plate appearances, such a stupid argument.

40 minutes ago, LittleHurt05 said:

Maybe the Sox forsee big changes in the upcoming labor dispute, so they want to lock him up before it would get 2x more expensive if the control time is changed.  But that's giving the Sox front office a little too much credit.

Good point. If the Sox think the years of control will drop from essentially 7 in this case to 4 or 5, it could be a big benefit to sign him now.

1 minute ago, OmarComing25 said:

I just read that thread and damn you're right there were a lot of horrible takes there. I can't believe so many people are putting so much stock in 26 Spring Training plate appearances, such a stupid argument.

Theses same dopes probably wanted Matt Davidson signed to the contract Eloy is rumored to be hooked with after opening day last year.

It is amazing the hot takes people make out of spring training games. 

21 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

By my count, the White Sox spent $44ish million in new money this offseason if Santana makes the team. If I count Abreu as an "optional" player, which he is as we didn't have to offer him arbitration, that's $60 million in spending right there. If the VP is that worried about $50 million in player flexibility 8 years from now, then it is absolutely fair game to look at the moves made this offseason that spent $60 million and ask how they could have been done differently. Letting Kevan Smith walk and signing McCann is only $2 million, in the swing of things that isn't big, but if you're worried about flexibility 8 years down the road - that is your flexibility.

People are annoyed that I'm whining about paying market (or slightly above market) rates for guys like Colome and Herrera. It was mildly annoying when they did it as it was unnecessary, but that spending should have received an immediate target on its back from everyone once Kenny and the White Sox repeatedly complained to the media about needing payroll flexibility to sign their next core. 

These 2 matters are related. This is a person complaining about how they can't pay rent every month as they walk down to Starbucks for two daily $5 coffees.

For the long term not 1-2 years. 45 million for a single year when they have an extremely low payroll is not an issue. 30 million for a single player years down the road could be a liability. 

2 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Personal attack, as usual.

First of all, I have a wife and 4 year old son...and there is no such thing as a studio apartment in China.

Did you work for two years in professional baseball?  Do you have 2 Master’s degrees?  Do you have a net worth of between $1.2 -$1.8 million?  Have you travelled to 40+ countries, 47 US states, done AmeriCorps National Voluntary Service for two years, America’s Promise Fellow, Teach for America Fellow...worked directly with former H&R Block CEO Thomas Bloch and wife of Hallmark founder Adele Hall on hundreds of scholarships in Kansas City for national service in high school? Have you done a successful charity concert after 9/11 that raised thousands of dollars? Been the Program Director of a non profit agency for 4 1/2 years? Co-founded a non-profit led by a former NFL football player?  Married a Russian model?  

Did 11 of your students this year get into Oxford and Cambridge, 1 to Duke, 11 to NYU, 8 to London School of Economics, 2 to University of Chicago, 1 to Carnegie Mellon, 1 to Johns Hopkins University, etc.?

Have you ever coached high school volleyball, basketball and soccer (with players from 15 refugee/asylum nations)?  

Broken a wild horse in Colombia?  Can you speak a foreign language?

Here’s one you can never beat...have you ever had a Heisman Trophy winner save your car from rolling back into traffic after you left it in neutral accidentally?

Have you ever gotten a free ticket left for you by a big league player and/or coach at will call?

Do you personally know a former major league manager (Jeff Banister, Rangers and now Pirates again.)

Have you ever done YMCA in the box seats with Gene Lamont?

I think you are the one living in your mom’s basement.

Yeah ok. Clearly he's the one with the problem. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

But this is just ONE year, not 2-3.  And why wouldn’t they have been convinced to offer the same deal to Moncada as well?  Simply because the $32 million in the bank made it unpalatable?

Shouldnt they have considered that before acquiring Moncada and Robert, that they would be much less desperate to extend with a life-altering deal of guaranteed extension dollars?

I promise you the Sox approached him with a deal like this.  If he didn't sign it, it is because he doesn't want to give up that potential money.

• Jose Abreu changed the title to Gomez and Passan confirm: Sox and Eloy nearing long-term deal