Eloy officially got paid

Jose Abreu

5 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

JFC "stop pretending Narvaez is a 2 win player just because I say it"?  Well at the very least I know you can only ever quote one site for your WAR totals again because you just said that 2 pages showing them don't count and that BP has completely and precisely priced in the value of framing and we 100% know that skill cannot change. 

I'd even agree with you that the post you are replying to was dumb, but hey it's a thread so Balta's got to be insulted for not understanding that framing is a stat sent from the gods. 

First, I’m not arguing that framing is as valuable as BP thinks it is, but rather am acknowledging there is some value to it that FG is admittedly is ignoring.  To call Narvaez a 2 win player is flat out wrong unless you want to completely ignore one of his biggest weaknesses

Second, I was trying to call out Caulfield for blatantly stealing your argument and representing it as his own.  I’ll own up to throwing in the “Bot” in there because I do sometimes wonder if you are actually human or some sort of algorithm.

1 hour ago, Dick Allen said:

He's always been a bit off on predicting the future. Jack McDowell and Ray Durham come to mind. They both were traded for peanuts in anticipation the system was going to change. It did change, just not the way they envisioned. 

This contract is fine if he's always an MVP type, but their first 8 years Arenado will make $95 million and Machado $96 million. Eloy will be older when he is eligible to become a FA, so assuming he's a big star, this is pretty much market rate. I would think guaranteeing someone even half of that before they ever stepped to the plate in the major leagues, should mean there is at least a little give at the other end.

In the history of baseball the one thing you can almost always be right on is betting that salaries will continue to go upwards.  I know the last two years have been an crazy exception, but I would bet by the time that Eloy could be a free agent in 2026, the dollars we are talking about now will be a bargain.

14 minutes ago, Whitesox27 said:

This place is going to be unbearable god forbid Eloy struggles out of the gate

If people freak out about someone struggling early in their career, that is more telling.  Seeing the people who are pointing to ST ABs as a reason to not do a deal like this proves my point.

Eloy can hit the baseball.  I'm all for signing him  now, just like the Sox gambled when they signed Abreu for 68Mil.

Lock him up, lock him up, lock him up.

Then start print Eloy jerseys, sell some tickets, and promote our future Star.  Get the party started.

3 hours ago, Tony said:

These are absolutely my favorites. Just incredible. So obscure, you can't be making them up. 

And that was just before breakfast. This is why I hate the Internot.

3 hours ago, Chisox378 said:

Ok maybe, my understanding of the MLB market is off. Its a shame, paying players for that much will only drive up ticket prices.  Im guessing a team can replace Anderson type numbers(his numbers so far), spend alot less,  with a hungry minor leaguer or a trade.

You are one strange dude...

3 hours ago, Chisox378 said:

Ok maybe, my understanding of basic economics is off. Its a shame, paying players for that much will only drive up ticket prices.  Im guessing a team can replace Anderson type numbers(his numbers so far), spend alot less,  with a hungry minor leaguer or a trade.

FIFY

Just now, Chicago White Sox said:

Dumb question, but couldn’t this extension start after the 2019 season?  I’m assumjng Eloy already has a major league contract for 2019 by being on the 40 man roster and an 8/$100M extension makes much more sense if we still get next year dirt cheap.

The original tweet included 2026 as the end point, but it's clear that all the details can't be right here because no one believes the full $100 million would be guaranteed with no option years.

Also, who knows when it becomes noteworthy that it hasn't happened yet...

Just now, Balta1701 said:

The original tweet included 2026 as the end point, but it's clear that all the details can't be right here because no one believes the full $100 million would be guaranteed with no option years.

Not only that, no-one else credible has mentioned it.

4 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

Astros players seem to think that they're the moral authority on everything these days. Super ironic given the Osuna acquisition, the cheating accusations, etc.

It's not like he said 'The White Sox practices are bullshit. Not like ours, the Astros' 

Don't really get the backlash. He's right. 

Just now, mqr said:

It's not like he said 'The White Sox practices are bullshit. Not like ours, the Astros' 

Don't really get the backlash. He's right. 

He failed to mention the grievance of his teammate (which occured when McHugh was with Houston) and the fact that the Astros will inevitably send down the top pitching prospect in baseball in Forrest Whitley (if they haven't already). To single out the Sox specifically when they're subjected to the same rules as everyone else  and operating in the same manner as everyone else is questionable. 

1 minute ago, raBBit said:

He failed to mention the grievance of his teammate (which occured when McHugh was with Houston) and the fact that the Astros will inevitably send down the top pitching prospect in baseball in Forrest Whitley (if they haven't already). To single out the Sox specifically when they're subjected to the same rules as everyone else  and operating in the same manner as everyone else is questionable. 

Anything worth sharing on said Eloy rumor?

4 minutes ago, raBBit said:

So what? He called attention to the problem without biting the hand that feeds him. Don't see it worthwhile to take personally. 

Edited by mqr

21 minutes ago, mqr said:

So what? He called attention to the problem without biting the hand that feeds him. Don't see it worthwhile to take personally. 

Problem is the Astros just won't shut up.

If it's not Verlander running his yap it was McCann when he was there... and Bregman and now McHugh.

The Astros have a domestic abuser in their clubhouse. The Astros organization has had the most drug suspensions in sports. Maybe the players should worry about their in house issues.

Verlander and McCann thought they were the policeman of the game. It's hilarious. Bunch of blowhard clowns. And they hacked and stole information from another team. Organization is trash from the top down.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Keeping the player "under club control" being the key phrase. 

5 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Problem is the Astros just won't shut up.

If it's not Verlander running his yap it was McCann when he was there... and Bregman and now McHugh.

The Astros have a domestic abuser in their clubhouse. The Astros organization has had the most drug suspensions in sports. Maybe the players should worry about their in house issues.

Verlander and McCann thought they were the policeman of the game. It's hilarious. Bunch of blowhard clowns. And they hacked and stole information from another team. Organization is trash from the top down.

And any sane fan would trade our organization for theirs in a heartbeat

• Haha 1

• Jose Abreu changed the title to Gomez and Passan confirm: Sox and Eloy nearing long-term deal