Eloy officially got paid

Jose Abreu

To think, the Evan Longoria contract pretty much started this whole thing and was actually criticized at the time. 6 years, $17.5M guaranteed, 3 team options of $7.5M, $11M & $11.5M in his age 28, 29 & 30 seasons ($3M buyout in the first year, so only $14.5M paid for the first 6 years of his career) and the contract was signed after he was held down to start the year, earning the extra year of control so the options covered his last year of ARB and 2 free agent seasons. Probably the most team friendly contract in the history of baseball, Andrew Friedman was just so far ahead of the curve it's incredible, the Shields and Crawford contracts were also absolute steals and those contracts came after they established themselves as major league contributors. 14 years, $44.9M guaranteed + 8 team option years to buy out the primes of 3 of the best players of the late aughts. AND all 3 went on to get big paydays after those contracts expired, $352.6M total guaranteed on their second contracts after turning 30.

11 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Is it really that different than signing Abreu or Robert? 

Absolutely it's different. Those players were on a market. The sox doing nothing have ~7 years of control at relatively fixed costs and not guaranteed. They have no one to bid against, they already own those years. How much do you add to those costs for an additional year? This is quite a bit.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

He’s reporting what he heard though and was called out for it.  I think his response is appropriate as there isn’t a fact to report here.

Just now, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Hector was spot on about the white Sox offer.

Yeah, his tweet is perfectly fine with me. American media DID shoot his reports down, they insisted on 7/175 to the point of exhaustion, and he ended up being right. 

I think there is some truth to Hector’s reports and that conversations are on-going, but I still find 8/$100M unlikely.  He’s probably got a counter-proposal coming out of Eloy’s camp and it will end being a bit less or with an additional option year.  To Ken’s point, this would be an unprecedented contract for a pre-majors player.

6 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Hector was spot on about the white Sox offer.

Yeah.  Spot on, and he never backed down from what he said.

I'm not sure about the Eloy rumor.  It could still be true but not entirely accurate as he's stating it.  Options, etc. could ultimately make it a 10 year/$100M+ deal.

Hector has a obvious in with someone in the Sox organization. He knew the exact details of the Sox offer to Machado, he knew Castillo's PED suspension and now hes reporting this. He may be a little off but I think he has somewhat proven himself.

1 hour ago, Orlando said:

Hector has a obvious in with someone in the Sox organization. He knew the exact details of the Sox offer to Machado, he knew Castillo's PED suspension and now hes reporting this. He may be a little off but I think he has somewhat proven himself.

On the contrary, I think he's just really connected to players who have Dominican ties. That many of his tweets are Sox related is coincidental, IMO 

• Like 1

• Jose Abreu changed the title to Gomez and Passan confirm: Sox and Eloy nearing long-term deal