Eloy officially got paid

Jose Abreu

I'm not seeing how people can be anything but excited about this deal. If he sucks, the Sox are only on the hook for ~$7M AAV for 6 years which is far from a crippling amount and if he's amazing the Sox will have a superstar for ~$9.5M AAV for 8 years which is incredible given the contracts that we've seen guys like Harper, Machado, and Trout signing lately.

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

Why? Whats the point.  This team still sucks out loud. 

Because I want to see the best lineup we can put together. I don't care about saving Jerry some money the next two years. If Joc can be had for nothing, lets make it happen. 

2 minutes ago, Orlando said:

Because I want to see the best lineup we can put together. I don't care about saving Jerry some money the next two years. If Joc can be had for nothing, lets make it happen. 

They're not getting Joc. As said, there's no point after missing out on the whale. 2 more weeks of Eloy doesn't change anything.

Edited by soxfan2014

2 minutes ago, oneofthemikes said:

I'm not seeing how people can be anything but excited about this deal. If he sucks, the Sox are only on the hook for ~$7M AAV for 6 years which is far from a crippling amount and if he's amazing the Sox will have a superstar for ~$9.5M AAV for 8 years which is incredible given the contracts that we've seen guys like Harper, Machado, and Trout signing lately.

It's a fine deal but we're not comparing it to guys on the open market in FA.  We are comparing it to what he would have gotten in ARB, which if he's good, might be a substantial savings.  If nothing else they got an extra year of control and have really solidified the relationship long term with him.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, mqr said:

No more Delmonico which is perhaps the best development

With Guyer, Engel, Leury, Jay, Palka, Alonso...there was already no spot for him on the roster.

Hopefully he lights up Charlotte and gets traded to a team where he can play after a minor trade...not sure if he any more options left or not.

Palka actually is the one feeling the roster numbers crunching, he needs to play but where? 

11 minutes ago, Orlando said:

He better get called up. Maybe his struggles were because his mind was occupied while negotiating . Now he can breathe easy and begin the Eloy era!

This happened to TA didn't it?

9 minutes ago, oneofthemikes said:

My guess is the contract will be structures something like this:

Signing Bonus: $5M

2019: $1M

2020: $2.5M

2021: $5M

2022: $7.5M

2023: $9M

2025:$11.5M

2026: $15.5M option ($1M buyout)

2027: $20M option ($2M buyout)

Edited by ChiSox59

2 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

It's a fine deal but we're not comparing it to guys on the open market in FA.  We are comparing it to what he would have gotten in ARB, which if he's good, might be a substantial savings.  If nothing else they got an extra year of control and have really solidified the relationship long term with him.

Right, but I guess that's what I'm getting at. If he's terrible, it's a small amount of wasted money (nothing new for the Sox) and if he's great, it's an enormous savings for a game-changing talent.

The fact Kenny made those comments about not being able to build a competitive team going forward with a $300 million contract now seems even more like a joke. After locking up the guy who likely could get paid the most if he is what he is out of our group of young players, it would be nice to have him hitting right behind the guy the Sox claim they wanted for 2 years. Oh well...

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, GenericUserName said:

For anyone worried about a grievance or the messaging over him being sent down, just keep an eye on Jon Jay. He hasn't been playing lately and they had said he is injured. If suddenly he "needs to go on the injured list" well then we have our reasoning for bringing him back up. We didn't have a spot before but we do now and that is our story.

Now an injury cover would make sense.

3 minutes ago, tkling36 said:

Can he be called up if he was optioned to minor league camp?  Not sure if this was asked already but I thought if you were optioned in spring training, you can't be recalled for like 10 days once the season starts.

If it's how it works during the season, it would just be 10 days after being optioned. The only way guys come back sooner is if they are replacing someone who was placed on the DL during that time.

Edited by soxfan2014

7 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

My guess is the contract will be structures something like this:

Signing Bonus: $5M

2019: $1M

2020: $2.5M

2021: $5M

2022: $7.5M

2023: $9M

2025:$11.5M

2026: $15.5M option ($1M buyout)

2027: $20M option ($2M buyout)

This is probably going to be really close to right.

I'm going to go out on a limb and assume that with the league and MLBPA having recently agreed to in-season CBA discussions to tweak a few things, the White Sox can see that the service-time manipulation dance is nearing its end. If they can reach a deal, there's no longer a reason to go through the charade any longer.

4 minutes ago, GenericUserName said:

And that doesn't even include the last two years which are where the really money can be saved.

When you factor in that the going rate for stars on the open market is somewhere between $25 and $36 million per season TODAY, that makes the savings somewhere between $15 and $35ish million over those two years.  It could be even higher in 6 years.

3 minutes ago, Tony said:

I'm really curious of this as well. Plus, now that Gomez had the report today, clearly they were negotiating for a while. Even when they optioned him to AAA camp last week, they had to know this extension was close....

And they still sent him down knowing all of this, when they could have just sat on him for another couple of weeks with no consequences.

• Jose Abreu changed the title to Gomez and Passan confirm: Sox and Eloy nearing long-term deal