Eloy officially got paid

Jose Abreu

Just now, Princess Dye said:

This is (1) a good thing for the White Sox 

but also 

(2) part of a growing reputation where we are great at getting the cheap extension done

"I am fantastic at getting straight A's in all my summer school remedial courses."  that's what kind of praise that is

Sox have to be good at something.. playing baseball and signing top FA's aren't it.. 

• Like 2

Love the deal. Love the idea of locking him up early, which hopefully makes him happy and it builds a good relationship. 

What I dont understand, and what I am hoping someone can explain to me is, what is the advantage of the White Sox doing this? We were already going to have him under control for 6 years.

1 minute ago, KnightsOnMintSt said:

Love the deal. Love the idea of locking him up early, which hopefully makes him happy and it builds a good relationship. 

What I dont understand, and what I am hoping someone can explain to me is, what is the advantage of the White Sox doing this? We were already going to have him under control for 6 years.

potentially massive surplus value on the option years 7 and 8 

5 minutes ago, KnightsOnMintSt said:

Keeps his arbitration years (potentially) lower. Becomes a free agent a year later than if he didn't extend and they waited the 2 weeks to call him up. Now he starts the year with the team.

Edited by soxfan2014

1 minute ago, KnightsOnMintSt said:

The Sox can save a lot of money over that eight years if Eloy is anywhere near as good as he could be.  For example if you overlay the Nolan Arenado first eight years, he is going to make just under $100 million.  Harper and Machado would have similar numbers if you take their signing bonuses into account.  Mike Trout is at $45 million for his first six years alone, plus the next two years at $34 million each to make $115 million for his first six years.

In six years that number could be even bigger as I expect that spending will pick back up over that time period.

1 minute ago, Whitesox27 said:

All in all, this certainly doesn't make up for missing on Harper and Machado, but it is a step in the right direction. I'd rather have them do this than have the money burn a hole in Reinsdorf's wallet. 

100%. A move where they potentially save a lot of money does not make up for being cheap asses on a young star. Dammit, now I'm starting to re-open my scar on the topic haha

Edited by soxfan2014

5 minutes ago, Whitesox27 said:

All in all, this certainly doesn't make up for missing on Harper and Machado, but it is a step in the right direction. I'd rather have them do this than have the money burn a hole in Reinsdorf's wallet. 

With the additional hindsight of the Arenado and Trout extensions, I definitely wish they would have given Machado the $300 million.  It’s obvious they won’t get another shot at a top 26 year old FA for as low as $300 million again.  The price is only going up for the top talent.

Edited by Harper2Sox

2 minutes ago, Soxfest said:

Seeing reports he may still start year in minors, which makes no sense at this point.

'We need to buy time to figure out to how to make this look as little like manipulation as possible when we do bring him in opening day'

Edited by mqr
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

100%. A move where they potentially save a lot of money does not make up for being cheap asses on a young star. Dammit, now I'm starting to re-open my scar on the topic haha

This Eloy deal would look so much nicer if he was hitting behind Machado in the lineup, but whatever.

Draft Vaughn, sign Castellanos/JD Martinez and suddenly this lineup looks pretty good heading forward.

• Like 2

• Jose Abreu changed the title to Gomez and Passan confirm: Sox and Eloy nearing long-term deal