Eloy officially got paid

Jose Abreu

7 minutes ago, mqr said:

I assume you didn't account for inflation both in the economy at large and in arbitration?

That’s right. Based on $8M/war. Also doesn’t include substantial goodwill benefit. 

Edited by Baker

24 minutes ago, mqr said:

I really, really, really can't stand Garfien's optimism. His opinions will always be worthless. 

Optimism keeps media members in good graces with the Sox. Apparently they are always worried to not be in good standing with them. One thing a guy like Cowley never seemed to care about. 

3 minutes ago, shipps said:

Optimism keeps media members in good graces with the Sox. Apparently they are always worried to not be in good standing with them. One thing a guy like Cowley never seemed to care about. 

Well those ones are basically employed by the team. 

4 minutes ago, mqr said:

Well those ones are basically employed by the team. 

It’s not just them though. Even the guys like barstool Dave who was ready to riot at the Rate the day Machado signed with the Pads now sits and has a nice friendly conversation with Hahn and is all back on their side. It’s not just him though it’s everyone. Even Laurence Holmes plays nice. It’s fine, it’s their livelihood and they want to make sure they don’t jeopardize it by making enemies. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

http://global.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/26316088/sources-chisox-jimenez-agree-record-deal

Broke a new record, and got ESPN headline banner for first time since Machado on two occasions this offseason.

This honestly is something to recognize and celebrate to a certain degree. As terrible as the Sox were this offseason in being able to land a premium FA talent, they did just set the record for a rookie contract. It doesn't absolve them for their massive fumble, but I honestly never thought we'd see this with the current ownership/FO group. 

1 hour ago, southsider2k5 said:

Now an injury cover would make sense.

Just should've read this from Friday at 5:09 PM.

On 3/15/2019 at 5:09 PM, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

He could still be called up before the season starts technically without burning an option couldn't he ? Who gets the mystery injury ? Palka with the hammy seems likely.

16 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

There is A LOT of potential in the OF in the next couple of years.

There's definitely still a path to contention, and I think a lot of people fail to see it through the clouds. It just got so, so much harder. 

1 minute ago, mqr said:

There's definitely still a path to contention, and I think a lot of people fail to see it through the clouds. It just got so, so much harder. 

It is there, it just never was going to be nearly as quick as a lot of people had convinced themselves.  Two years ago there were people talking about this team being our next playoff team.  I don't know why, but a lot of people convinced themselves of a lot of unrealistic things.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

It is there, it just never was going to be nearly as quick as a lot of people had convinced themselves.  Two years ago there were people talking about this team being our next playoff team.  I don't know why, but a lot of people convinced themselves of a lot of unrealistic things.

It wasn't unrealistic,  just best case scenario. 

If Michael Kopech didn't get hurt, Moncada was a 1-2 wins better, and Giolito was a major leaguer last year the outlook is a lot different even without Machado.

Instead we basically got absolute worst case scenario. 

Edited by mqr

20 minutes ago, mqr said:

It wasn't unrealistic,  just best case scenario. 

If Michael Kopech didn't get hurt, Moncada was a 1-2 wins better, and Giolito was a major leaguer last year the outlook is a lot different even without Machado.

Instead we basically got absolute worst case scenario. 

Needing everything to be a best case scenario is exactly the point.

13 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Needing everything to be a best case scenario is exactly the point.

But 2019 was always the 'If everything breaks right' year. Everything didn't break right and now it's a 'things better start breaking right'  year.

I really disagree that 2019 was totally unrealistic, and will view no contention in 2020 as something of a failure. 

Edited by mqr

14 minutes ago, mqr said:

But 2019 was always the 'If everything breaks right' year. Everything didn't break right and now it's a 'things better start breaking right'  year.

I really disagree that 2019 was totally unrealistic, and will view no contention in 2020 as something of a failure. 

The Cubs won 97 games and made it all the way to the NLCS during year 4 of their rebuild. Will the Sox even be a 500 team next year? 

How did the Cubs do it?  Magic? Harry Potter Wizardry? Good ol fashioned New Orleans voodoo? 

28 minutes ago, OneDog847 said:

The Cubs won 97 games and made it all the way to the NLCS during year 4 of their rebuild. Will the Sox even be a 500 team next year? 

How did the Cubs do it?  Magic? Harry Potter Wizardry? Good ol fashioned New Orleans voodoo? 

They were foolish enough to replace their front office that couldn’t produce a winner. Jokes on them

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

This honestly is something to recognize and celebrate to a certain degree. As terrible as the Sox were this offseason in being able to land a premium FA talent, they did just set the record for a rookie contract. It doesn't absolve them for their massive fumble, but I honestly never thought we'd see this with the current ownership/FO group. 

I give them credit but they still suck. This makes the Machado situation worse as we would have been in a great spot to keep Moncado, Machado, Robert, and Eloy for 8 to 10 years. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

I give them credit but they still suck. This makes the Machado situation worse as we would have been in a great spot to keep Moncado, Machado, Robert, and Eloy for 8 to 10 years. 

Like I said before, it took them from an F to a D-

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Jose Abreu changed the title to Gomez and Passan confirm: Sox and Eloy nearing long-term deal