Eloy officially got paid

Jose Abreu

32 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Chris Sale's extension was signed in 2013.  Clearly it is going to be different than what Eloy is signing in 2019. But it is also worth noting what players were getting in free agency in 2013, and recognizing that six years of inflation are also in play there.  Then project that forward to 2026.  Top players aren't going to be getting $25 to $30 million a season then.  I mean that is supposedly why everyone is so upset about how "cheap" the Harper and Machado deals were that the Sox didn't offer, so now the Sox have Eloy wrapped up for a fraction of those costs.

The same applies to Q and Eaton as well.  Anderson was never has highly ranked as Jimenez, and that deal was signed a couple of years ago.

You’re focusing on dollars (which are still way more player friendly regardless of inflation), when these contracts from a team standpoint are about buying out future free agent years.  With all four deals I mentioned we got two to three free agent years in exchange for the guarantees we were making.  For Eloy, who has never had a major league at-bat, we got one single free agent year in return for an unprecedented financial commitment.  

Again, I don’t hate this deal by any means, just don’t think it’s very team friendly.  It is an absolutely incredible deal for Eloy however as he gets paid like a top 10 hitter before making one single major league at-bat and only has to give up one, below-market (if he’s as good as advertised) free agent year.

20 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Are we now comparing Eloy to arguably the best player in baseball history?

Seems like it. Eloy is already on the same tier as Arenado, Bryant, and Trout according to some on this board. Downright ludicrous thinking in my opinion. 

These are the same guys were pegging Gordan Beckham as the next Jeff Kent. 

Just now, Chicago White Sox said:

You’re focusing on dollars (which are still way more player friendly regardless of inflation), when these contracts from a team standpoint are about buying out future free agent years.  With all four deals I mentioned we got two to three free agent years in exchange for the guarantees we were making.  For Eloy, who has never had a major league at-bat, we got one single free agent year in return for an unprecedented financial commitment.  

Again, I don’t hate this deal by any means, just don’t think it’s very team friendly.  It is an absolutely incredible deal for Eloy however as he gets paid like a top 10 hitter before making one single major league at-bat and only has to give up one, below-market (if he’s as good as advertised) free agent year.

He isn't getting paid any where near that level,  which is the entire point. 

3 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

This is my thinking as well. For all this money upfront we should got two possibly three free agent years.

39 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I think you’re underestimating what Eloy would make in his 4 arb seasons. If he is 75% as good as we hope he is, he’s going to be playing at a very nice discount in years 4-6 of this contract. Plus you have the option years, that is reported correctly, should be at an AAV of $17M, which should be a good value even if Eloy isn’t a superstar. 

I think there is some upside if he’s a top 10 hitter, but even then it’s not a ton IMO.  Like I showed previously, Kris Bryant will likely make a similar amount of money as Eloy will over their first six seasons.  Year 7 and in particular year 8 have upside, but the commitment in the first six years is assuming is a legit stud from the get go.  This is all about that 8th year of control and IMO we should probably have gotten two free agents given the unprecedented guarantee we’re making.

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I think there is some upside if he’s a top 10 hitter, but even then it’s not a ton IMO.  Like I showed previously, Kris Bryant will likely make a similar amount of money as Eloy will over their first six seasons.  Year 7 and in particular year 8 have upside, but the commitment in the first six years is assuming is a legit stud from the get go.  This is all about that 8th year of control and IMO we should probably have gotten two free agents given the unprecedented guarantee we’re making.

Yah, I am hoping when final terms come out we get three options instead of 2.  

You're also kind of ignoring salary inflation in your analysis.  If Eloy is as good as we hope he is, its a pretty legitimate chance that his final arb year would be over $25M when we'll be paying him $14M.  The year prior we'll be paying him less than $10M, when he'd likely be making around $15M.  Not HUUUUUUGGGEE savings, but they're legitimate savings.  And we get him for an extra year with $10-15M of surplus value in there if he's really good.  

10 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

He isn't getting paid any where near that level,  which is the entire point. 

I’ve literally provided four or five examples in this thread that suggest otherwise.  Look at what Donaldson, Arenado, & Bryant made or will make through the arbitration process for their first seven years.  Eloy will make similar money to those guys.

And you completely glossed over the fact that most of these deals buy out at least two free agent years.  That is the biggest issue I have with this deal.

19 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I’ve literally provided four or five examples in this thread that suggest otherwise.  Look at what Donaldson, Arenado, & Bryant made or will make through the arbitration process for their first seven years.  Eloy will make similar money to those guys.

And you completely glossed over the fact that most of these deals buy out at least two free agent years.  That is the biggest issue I have with this deal.

He will make significantly less than than the most recent examples.  I have outlined it at different points during these two extension discussions.

On 3/20/2019 at 2:32 PM, ChiSox59 said:

My guess is the contract will be structures something like this:

Signing Bonus: $5M

2019: $1M

2020: $2.5M

2021: $5M

2022: $7.5M

2023: $9M

2025:$11.5M

2026: $15.5M option ($1M buyout)

2027: $20M option ($2M buyout)

Pretty much nailed it. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, WBWSF said:

This off season has been  a PR disaster. Signing Eloy to a long term contract has to be the best  news for White Sox fans. Finally some positive news.

Honestly...this is 75% why this deal was done. Add in poor season opener ticket sales....they needed a story to motivate the fans. I think it's a mediocre baseball decision that will either be just under market value or a slight overpay. This will never be a Great deal, but the PR vibes alone was worth it for RH. 

My favorite part though...is they can't use the future contracts we need to sign will dictate our payroll line. They locked up their biggest asset for 8 years with a budgeted number. Now FA attempts need to be fair, not underpays

33 minutes ago, EloyJenkins said:

Honestly...this is 75% why this deal was done. Add in poor season opener ticket sales....they needed a story to motivate the fans. I think it's a mediocre baseball decision that will either be just under market value or a slight overpay. This will never be a Great deal, but the PR vibes alone was worth it for RH. 

My favorite part though...is they can't use the future contracts we need to sign will dictate our payroll line. They locked up their biggest asset for 8 years with a budgeted number. Now FA attempts need to be fair, not underpays

Except they were trying to extend him last season,  and this has been Sox standard operating procedure for years now.

14 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

He will make significantly less than than the most recent examples.  I have outlined it at different points during these two extension discussions.

Didn’t you also outline a way in which you justified Eloy getting paid the initial bogus rumor from Hector Gomez of $100 million, which made no sense as a legitimate amount of money to pay him instead of the Sox simply going through the salary arbitration process with Eloy?