Eloy officially got paid

Jose Abreu

1 hour ago, southsider2k5 said:

“When we originally sat down with Jerry a little over two and a half years ago to outline the process we were about to undertake in terms of this rebuild, there was a portion of it that dealt with the economics,” Hahn said. “Part of that was continuing to be aggressive with our young players, players we projected to be part of a championship core and trying to get them locked up for the long term.

“Jerry was fully on board. He understood that given the current economic landscape, the importance of doing this early and being aggressive when we did do that.”

JR: Rick, my accountant guy told me that according to something he read on Fangraphs this morning called "ZIPS" Eloy is probably going to cost us a lot of money in arb and you know I CAN'T STAND that!

Rick: Don't worry JR, if it's one thing my ass has done for you it's save money.  We'll get this one done before the season and get this -- I got a killer plan -- we'll wait until after Machado and Harper sign elsewhere so it makes the optics better.

JR: You're gold Rick, you're really something.  I keep you around for a reason.

Edited by chitownsportsfan

Those quotes make it seem pretty obvious that the Sox signing Machado or Harper was likely a pipe dream the entire time.  Jerry is fine with locking guys up if he thinks he is getting a discount but he isn’t willing to pay market value.

Edited by Harper2Sox
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Harper2Sox said:

Those quotes make it seem pretty obvious that the Sox signing Machado or Harper was likely a pipe dream the entire time.  Jerry is fine with locking guys up if he thinks he is getting a discount but he isn’t willing to pay market value.

Please, just drop it. They misread the market, the entire organization sucks ass, things are terrible and the rebuild is faltering bordering on failing. Reading the same inane shit over and over is just nails on a chalkboard, you're not making a difference or bringing a new take, you're just stuck in a time loop. Congrats, you're angry, the other morons like myself that frequent this board already know the talking points, you're just screaming into the void. You're gaining absolutely nothing from this shit.

• Love 4

16 minutes ago, Kalapse said:

Please, just drop it. They misread the market, the entire organization sucks ass, things are terrible and the rebuild is faltering bordering on failing. Reading the same inane shit over and over is just nails on a chalkboard, you're not making a difference or bringing a new take, you're just stuck in a time loop. Congrats, you're angry, the other morons like myself that frequent this board already know the talking points, you're just screaming into the void. You're gaining absolutely nothing from this shit.

The season starts in about a week.  Until then, it's still the offseason and it's been a dumpster fire and folks are going to comment on said dumpster fire.  As I've said many times if you admins just made a "b****ing and moaning thread" it would clean things up.  But what do I know.

18 minutes ago, Kalapse said:

Preach

1 minute ago, Harper2Sox said:

You’re right.  I’m going to accept the obvious that the Sox won’t be legitimate players in free agency.  Hopefully, Hahn can trade Rodon for another Eloy type prospect.

Cool, so you're done? Pivoting to hard fatalist isn't an out either. Maybe just think it out for a bit and come back with an original thought. Posting for the sake of posting is largely bad.

• Love 1

2 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

The season starts in about a week.  Until then, it's still the offseason and it's been a dumpster fire and folks are going to comment on said dumpster fire.  As I've said many times if you admins just made a "b****ing and moaning thread" it would clean things up.  But what do I know.

Nah, man. That's been done and it just bleeds into every thread bar none. Come up with an original fucking thought.

23 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

I made a b****ing and moaning thread and it had to get closed because people decided to bring politics into it. 

I was hoping the same but they hijacked the fuck out of that thread. 

58 minutes ago, Kalapse said:

Sorry, but that's bullshit.  Until this ownership and front office is gone, it cant be talked about enough. The whole fanbase is being treated like a bunch of idiots. The only reason Eloy and Moncada are here is because this same front office couldn't compete for a playoff spot with two Cy Young candidates in the same rotation. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, LittleHurt05 said:

Sorry, but that's bullshit.  Until this ownership and front office is gone, it cant be talked about enough. The whole fanbase is being treated like a bunch of idiots. The only reason Eloy and Moncada are here is because this same front office couldn't compete for a playoff spot with two Cy Young candidates in the same rotation. 

Yeah, no shit. Grassroots organization and uprising are great but at a certain point you're just repeating the same shit to the same people who already agree with you and those people get tired of hearing the same message. This isn't a political campaign where you can knock on doors and gain voters, you can't oust Reinsdorf, Hahn and Williams by posting, that shit is locked in. NO ONE IS LISTENING TO YOU. Complacency is obviously bad but this is a fucking message board, not a polling place.

33 minutes ago, Kalapse said:

Yeah, no shit. Grassroots organization and uprising are great but at a certain point you're just repeating the same shit to the same people who already agree with you and those people get tired of hearing the same message. This isn't a political campaign where you can knock on doors and gain voters, you can't oust Reinsdorf, Hahn and Williams by posting, that shit is locked in. NO ONE IS LISTENING TO YOU. Complacency is obviously bad but this is a fucking message board, not a polling place.

Best thing to do is adopt a 2nd team to root for. The Cubs and Brewers are viable options. Both close by and will be competing for playoff spots. 

• Like 1

I know its Spring training but the way Leury, Yoan and Abreu looked, as well as improvements by Timmy and big plus having Eloy start the season in LF...there might be reason to be optimistic. Pitching is clearly suspect but I can see this team getting out of the gate rather nicely.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Kalapse said:

Wait.  Are you saying JR and other owners don't read this message board and base decisions based on what they read here?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hogan873 said:

Wait.  Are you saying JR and other owners don't read this message board and base decisions based on what they read here?

Not JR but I believe Hahn in the past stated that he follows social media and message boards.  And no, I don’t believe they make decisions based on message boards posts but that couldn’t be any worse than the offseason Hahn had.