Eloy officially got paid

Jose Abreu

18 minutes ago, TaylorStSox said:

How is reactionary when they always try to sign their big prospects to extensions? 

Is reactionary when you pay money to someone who hasn't faced an MLB pitch, especially after having promised the fans that there would be "no financial constraints" in pursuing a young star like Machado. We all agree that it is probably a lesser risk than most to extend Eloy, given Jimenez's MiLB record, but it is a risk nonetheless.

For Hahn to state, "The money will be spent" after the Machado blunder, then giving a contract extension to Jimenez seems to be reactionary, IMO.

14 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

$43 million/= $300 million. 

0 fWAR/= 30.3 fWAR

Edited by Two-Gun Pete

11 minutes ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

Is reactionary when you pay money to someone who hasn't faced an MLB pitch, especially after having promised the fans that there would be "no financial constraints" in pursuing a young star like Machado. We all agree that it is probably a lesser risk than most to extend Eloy, given Jimenez's MiLB record, but it is a risk nonetheless.

0 fWAR/= 30.3 fWAR

You want to bet over which contract is the better investment? 

4 minutes ago, TaylorStSox said:

You want to bet over which contract is the better investment? 

No. But, if you don't like the front office to be criticized, there's always WSI if you want polyanna-ish white sox commentary.

IMHO, there is room for the "In Kenny We Trust" types, inasmuch as there is room for those who want to give this org the beating they so richly deserve in this part of the interwebs. YMMV.

Edited by Two-Gun Pete
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Two-Gun Pete said:

No. But, if you don't like the front office to be criticized, there's always WSI if you want polyanna-ish white sox commentary.

IMHO, there is room for the "In Kenny We Trust" types, inasmuch as there is room for those who want to give this org the beating they so richly deserve. YMMV.

The front office has been nothing short of garbage in Hahn's tenure. I wouldn't argue with anybody about that. That doesn't mean that I think they should have signed Machado. 

15 minutes ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

For Hahn to state, "The money will be spent" after the Machado blunder, then giving a contract extension to Jimenez seems to be reactionary, IMO.

0 fWAR/= 30.3 fWAR

By your logic we should never call up a rookie.

Just now, southsider2k5 said:

By your logic we should never call up a rookie.

No, Hahn should never state, "there will be no financial constraints," when there WERE CLEARLY financial constraints in pursuing a stud, THEN take a financial risk on an unproven player.

In other words, a $43MM contract extension to a player with 0 PAs after screwing the pooch on Machado =/= "calling up a rookie."

Maybe they just don't think Machado is a franchise player. I certainly don't. Maybe they only have the budget for a single super contract and they didn't want to blow it on him. IDK. Machado's damn good, but people are really overrating him. Maybe they like a future IF of Yoan, Anderson and Madrigal for really cheap more than an IF of Machado, Anderson and Yoan for a shitload of money. 

3 minutes ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

No, Hahn should never state, "there will be no financial constraints," when there WERE CLEARLY financial constraints in pursuing a stud, THEN take a financial risk on an unproven player.

In other words, a $43MM contract extension to a player with 0 PAs after screwing the pooch on Machado =/= "calling up a rookie."

You are the one making an awful equivalency between Machado and Jimenez and actually citing product for a player yet to make his debut as a qualifier. This is a complete failure of a comparison.  

Especially since we know extension talks have gone on since November. 

10 hours ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

I don't get not liking the Jimenez deal. Even if he ends up being terrible, in big league dollar terms, it's a small loss. If he ends up being good, it's a great deal and buys the extra year.

Now Machado - that's a different story. I'll be disappointed if Sox fans let JR, Hahn and KW off the hook on this one. That's what they want - for us all to forget it and move on.

10 hours ago, TaylorStSox said:

Maybe they just don't think Machado is a franchise player. I certainly don't. Maybe they only have the budget for a single super contract and they didn't want to blow it on him. IDK. Machado's damn good, but people are really overrating him. Maybe they like a future IF of Yoan, Anderson and Madrigal for really cheap more than an IF of Machado, Anderson and Yoan for a shitload of money. 

If you're not going to give it to a 26-year old stud who fits your roster perfectly, then who will you give a big contract too? With inflation, the $25 mill in each of the last 2 years of the deal wouldn't have been bad.

1 hour ago, soxfan2014 said:

If you're not going to give it to a 26-year old stud who fits your roster perfectly, then who will you give a big contract too? With inflation, the $25 mill in each of the last 2 years of the deal wouldn't have been bad.

He's not good defensively. Hes a future fat guy. Hes a very good hitter, but not exceptional. I'd love to have him, but he's not a franchise player imo. I wouldn't be surprised if he was the 3rd or 4th best player on the Sox in 3 years.

• Haha 4

7 minutes ago, TaylorStSox said:

He's not good defensively. Hes a future fat guy. Hes a very good hitter, but not exceptional. I'd love to have him, but he's not a franchise player imo. I wouldn't be surprised if he was the 3rd or 4th best player on the Sox in 3 years.

😂😂😂

8 minutes ago, TaylorStSox said:

Lol what? Manny Machado isn’t good defensively??! And you claim a currently very skinny and in shape guy is going to be fat because....he doesn’t hustle to 1b? What are you talking about? 

Edited by ChiSox59

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

Lol what? Manny Machado isn’t good defensively??! And you claim a currently very skinny and in shape guy is going to be fat because....he doesn’t hustle to 1b? What are you talking about? 

I assumed he was talking about Bryce based on the description. Still a hot and bad take either way. 

14 minutes ago, TaylorStSox said:

Stopped reading at "he's not good defensively."

5 minutes ago, ron883 said:

I assumed he was talking about Bryce based on the description. Still a hot and bad take either way. 

He responded to my comment responding to his comment about Machado so he's talking about Machado. The 2, $25 mill/year I reference is the difference in the contracts of guaranteed money between Sox and Padres.

6 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

Stopped reading at "he's not good defensively."

From what I've seen, hes already losing range as he fills out. He won't be at SS for much longer. Hes better at 3rd, but I'd much rather have Moncada at 3rd for the next 7 years.

Edited by TaylorStSox

Just now, TaylorStSox said:

From what I've seen, hes already losing range as he fills out. He won't be at SS for much longer. Hes better at 3rd, but I'd much rather have Moncada at 3rd for the 7 years.

He’s a 3B. He played SS for a small amount of time basically to prove he could for FA. He’s a very ELITE defensive 3B, which is where he would have played for the Sox. 

Pay more attention.

• Thanks 3

2 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

He’s a 3B. He played SS for a small amount of time basically to prove he could for FA. He’s a very ELITE defensive 3B, which is where he would have played for the Sox. 

Pay more attention.

The guy who played 140+ games at SS in 2018 isn't a SS? Makes sense. Moving forward, I'd still rather have Moncada at 3rd anyway.